User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

2013 Honda Fit – Pricing Remains the Same

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
2013 Honda Fit – Pricing Remains the Same

The uniquely versatile B-Segment hatch receives one new color choice but that is about it.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_Honda_Fit_Sport.jpg
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - July 16, 2012

2013 Honda Fit - $15,325 to start and an at best 28/35 mpgUS city/highway rating.

The Fit returns for 2013 with a new exterior color and no price increase. It is now available with Midnight Plum Pearl replacing the previous Orange Burst Metallic.

The 1.5L i-VTECI4 mated to either a 5-speed MT or AT is the same 117 HP engine it has been equipped with for years.

The EPA is Where It’s Going To Hurt

When equipped with the optional AT, the base Fit is rated at 28/35 mpgUS city/highway. The Sport with the same is rated at what I would deem to be an unacceptable 27/33 mpgUS city/highway rating while the buzz-bomb manual is rated at 27/33 mpgUS city/highway.

Body, Chassis, Interior and Safety remain unchanged.

The Fit Sport is available with the 6.5” screen Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition. When equipped with the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System, the Fit Sport also includes Bluetooth HandsFreeLink to help make hands-free telephone calls more convenient. The Navigation System also features Bluetooth Audio capability with compatible phones and devices.

A Fit Sport whose 5-speed MT is spinning at an unacceptable 2,800 + RPM at 60 mph in this day and age? In addition, having to pay over $20 Grand for a B-Segment hatch to receive Bluetooth Handsfree capability, one of the most advanced safety systems in a car today, is way over the top compared to its rivals. Accent or Rio anyone? Honda has not yet entered the second decade of the 21st century but I am sure they are planning to completely revamp their trim lineup beginning with the 13 Civic. That will not be soon enough for the Fit however

Last edited by Right Lane Cruiser : 07-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Re: 2013 Honda Fit – Pricing Remains the Same

I bought one before th fiesta was available, thinking it was the best option. Now it seems, it is a bottom feeder. How fast times change. 38mpg city 36 mpg at 83 mph
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Fit Sport Auto 2010 Honda SH150I scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malherbe View Post
I bought one before th fiesta was available, thinking it was the best option. Now it seems, it is a bottom feeder. How fast times change. 38mpg city 36 mpg at 83 mph
I just returned from fishing with a 12.5 foot Hobie kayak inside the car. I have to keep the tailgate open but it's not a problem. For that matter the kayak fits better in the Fit than it does in my wife's Subaru Outback. At end of the year the difference between 35 or 40 mpg just doesn't add up to a lot, but having a useful vehicle sure comes in handy.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

To some of us 15% is a pretty big difference. A couple years ago the Fit was near the top of the pack, but with lots of 38-40mpg vehicles to choose from, they're not looking too competitive anymore. Toyota's Matrix is a bigger embarrassment in terms of value in the hatchback segment, so at least Honda has that going for them.

I wonder when Honda's going to wake up and smell the shrinking market segment. Of course I've been wondering that for quite a few years. Hyundai has been the new Honda for way too long.

My fuel economy page
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Veteran

The Fit seems to do well at fuelly.com
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Newbie McNewbster

Vehicles: '11 Honda FIT Sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriConsult View Post
To some of us 15% is a pretty big difference.
This is a very versatile car that has "C-segment" size with "B-segment" price, and that size is very, very usable. It is an odd-ball car that gets unduly criticized because it does not fit in the regular B-segment mold.

Don't get me wrong, Honda should be doing better than they are in terms of FE technology, but also you need to see the FIT for what it is and stop comparing it to much smaller vehicles. It is apples and oranges.

Yes, for some people 15% is a big deal. For most people it is not. For me 15% would amount to about $150 per year, which is a reasonable amount to pay to have the extra versatility of the FIT if you need it over the much smaller Rio or Accent. I need the space because I am constantly carting around tons of boxes for my biz and am personally saving a lot of money compared to driving a small SUV or full-size wagon.

I love this community but it can be a bit of an echo chamber. Most people have a commute that is less than 25 miles round trip and most people consider 30 MPG as fairly fuel efficient.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Newbie McNewbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm View Post
The Fit seems to do well at fuelly.com
When I used to drive very aggressively, I was getting just about 28 to 29 combined, pretty close to EPA as my driving is about 50/50 city/highway.

I got tired of racing to the next stoplight and filling every week so I decided to drive conservatively and see what I could get. I easily got 34-36 mpg combined for a few springtime tanks, and 42 mpg for an all highway 350 mile road-trip averaging about 65 mph with some light AC usage. This is with no knowledge of hypermiling.

I am 3/4 through the current tank and its at 46.2 mpg. I have the AT which has reasonable gearing for the highway. There is a fuel efficient car in there wanting to get out . . .
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

You're driving the automatic. The manual is buzzing at crazy high rpm in top gear, costing fuel the whole time. The thing is, Honda could make this thing more efficient with a simple change - gear ratios. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to change a final drive ratio. That alone would make up at least the 2 mpg deficit between manual and automatic. It might even add a couple points above that, to 36 or 37 highway. For the cost of a little engineering and parts swapping.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Newbie McNewbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
You're driving the automatic. The manual is buzzing at crazy high rpm in top gear, costing fuel the whole time. The thing is, Honda could make this thing more efficient with a simple change - gear ratios. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to change a final drive ratio. That alone would make up at least the 2 mpg deficit between manual and automatic. It might even add a couple points above that, to 36 or 37 highway. For the cost of a little engineering and parts swapping.
This is a valid criticism. I bet their market research shows that hypermilers are .001% of the population and Honda tuners buy the other 99.9999% of their MTs, so they gear it for the 20 year old kids that are going to put turbos and fart cans on the darn things. Such is the country we live in.

Still not sure why the AT does so badly on the EPA tests . . .
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi CRT1:

They do not build them for us or street racers (it has 117 HP on tap and only when revved near its limits), Honda should build them for everyone and they do not. An Autocrosser (which there are few in Fits doing that) will never see beyond second gear. A Drag racer (even fewer in Fits doing that?) will never see fourth. Spreading of the ratios does not impede performance guys since they never reach the top gears anyway.

When I criticize the Fit by comparison, you need to consider the all-new 2012 Accent in particular. It has all that the Fit provides minus a little length extension but at a far lower price point and Bluetooth is standard in almost every trim. With the 6-speed stick, it runs at a high 2,400 but nothing like the buzz bomb 2,800 of the Fit with the 5-speed MT. Honda needs to fix this but is unwilling to do so and it continues to piss me off as the years continue on by and the fuel being consumed needlessly is absolutely and 100% thrown away. It is not just the owner that cannot afford this; it is all of us that cannot afford this type of design anymore.

Wayne