User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Hyundai

Hyundai Innovation Unboxed - Discussion about Hyundai vehicles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Using sport shift with 2013 Elantra

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Vehicles: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Using sport shift with 2013 Elantra

I'm still familiarizing myself with my 3-day-old 2013 Elantra GLS, and so far I love it.

How can I use the sport shift on the 6-speed auto transmission to improve my fuel economy? When I accelerate, should I try to shift into higher-numbered gears as soon as possible? Or should I just leave well enough alone and allow the Eco mode to control when shifting occurs?
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT
Re: Using sport shift with 2013 Elantra

Congrats on the new car. The '13 Elantra is an outstanding value, and 40mpg is an easy target.
In normal driving, leave the ActiveEco "on" and the car in "D". The car will shift as needed to keep fuel economy near its peak.

The only exceptions:

- You can shift between D and N and back to D without throttle. With enough air in the tires, the car glides very well in neutral. Use this when coasting on level ground and the fuel cut when in D is too aggressive to allow the glide distance needed.

- You can shift manually when decelerating down under 30mph to keep fuel cut active until roughly 15mph. I have been able to keep fuel cut down to that speed, but it's understandably finicky (meaning the computer wants to fire up the injectors as the engine speed falls quickly). Always remember to move the lever back to D again or the car will hang in first gear and the engine will roar toward redline.

- When climbing hills, the car wants to downshift from 6 to 5, and hang in 5th for far too long. Keep an eye on the tach and make sure it's under 2000 (meaning 6th and under 65mph). If it bumps upward, back off the throttle and move the lever over-n-up to try to get it back to 6th. Driving in 5th will slash fuel economy by 20% or more.

Because of the undying love of downshifting, the car will do better at 55mph than at 45mph when driving on roads that are not flat. At 45mph, it wants to downshift all the time, and at 55mph, the higher engine speed means gentle slopes don't max out the engine load so quickly and the car can hang onto overdrive. Experiment a little and see what you can do in your area (and with your terrain) and if driving in the 45-50mph range, make sure the car doesn't kick down too often. And when it does, bump it back to 6th. If moving the lever changes the number from 5 to 6 and then it just changes back to 5, the current speed/load won't allow overdrive.

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Vehicles: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Some questions:

(1) With enough air in the tires, the car glides very well in neutral.

What's happening with the fuel cut when coasting in D vs. gliding in N? Why is it better to glide in N than to coast in D? (I'm fuzzy on some of the details.)

(2) You can shift manually when decelerating down under 30mph to keep fuel cut active until roughly 15mph.

Should I shift to a lower-number gear more quickly, or try to keep it in a higher-number gear, in order to keep fuel cut active?

(3) How can I tell when the fuel cut occurs? Will the engine RPM go to minimum (around 600, I think), or will it actually have a higher RPM because the wheels are turning the engine?

Thanks.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile-n-Nod View Post
Some questions:

What's happening with the fuel cut when coasting in D vs. gliding in N? Why is it better to glide in N than to coast in D? (I'm fuzzy on some of the details.)

(2) You can shift manually when decelerating down under 30mph to keep fuel cut active until roughly 15mph.

Should I shift to a lower-number gear more quickly, or try to keep it in a higher-number gear, in order to keep fuel cut active?

(3) How can I tell when the fuel cut occurs? Will the engine RPM go to minimum (around 600, I think), or will it actually have a higher RPM because the wheels are turning the engine?

Thanks.
(1) When the engine is at operating temperature and the car is moving at more than 40mph, lifting your foot off the accelerator will cause the fuel injectors to be switched off within a second or two. The torque converter remains locked, so the engine continues to spin as it is still locked to the drive wheels and so the momentum of the car spins the crankshaft. As you coast in D and the car slows, keep an eye on the tachometer and as it falls below 1500, you will feel a downshift and the tach will bounce higher. The car will downshift as needed to keep engine speed over 1100-1200rpm during fuel cut.

When you shift to N, the engine idles as the car rolls ahead due to momentum. Fuel is burned to keep the engine running as it is not locked to the drive wheels.
Note: Your Elantra is not flat towable, so while shifting between N and D is fine, you will want to keep the engine running when the car is moving. According to the manual, the car can roll at speeds of up to 10mph for up to a mile while engine off, and the only time I use that is when rolling through a parking lot after potential parking and making my way down to the exit.

Regarding the "N or D?" question... Both have their own place in coasting. In D and with fuel cut, the additional drag of spinning a "dead" engine means the car slows and glide distances are shorter. Use this when heading down a hill, or when approaching slower traffic ahead and losing speed is the preferred outcome. To cover the most ground with the least loss of speed, shift to N. Although you are burning some fuel instead of "none", the car will travel a longer distance and with less fuel burned than if you just kept your foot on the pedal. This is best when you need to glide a longer distance on a level road to a stale red ahead, and just keeping a steady foot on the pedal would get you to there too soon, requiring the use of the brake.

(2) Fuel cut works perfectly when the lever is left in D. From higher speeds, it will drop out at about 30mph. At lower speeds (maybe 35mph), it will sometimes engage and then drop out at about 20mph. Using the manual mode can usually keep fuel cut engaged until about 15mph, but it usually means manually downshifting just before the tach hits 1500, and for the 2-1 shift, it should happen closer to 1800rpm. When in manual mode, there is much more engine braking, so this is only useful when you are heading into a required stop. In manual first, the low/reverse brake is engaged in the transmission, so there is no freewheeling - it feels like someone threw the anchor out the window.

(3) You wouldn't know for sure when fuel cut is engaged unless you have a ScanGage or UltraGage. With a ScanGage, the instant mpg will read 9999 and LP will show "open". With an UltraGage, the instant mpg will show 999.9 and the little oval in the upper right will be open at the top. Without a gage, you will feel fuel cut as an odd drag on the car, as if one or more tires are underinflated, accompanied by odd thumps as the car downshifts. During upshift, a "pressure control" bleed solenoid is used to make the shifts smooth. The downshifts during fuel cut are made at higher line pressure to make sure the engine keeps spinning, and it's sometimes noticable.

Fuel cut requires engine speed over 1100-1200rpm, so if the tach is below that range, the engine is "live" and sipping fuel.

There are several Elantra challenge drives posted here at CleanMPG, and the two most recent drives demonstrated that the car can beat its EPA estimate even when driven "dumb" - at the speed limit with cruise control while rolling on low tire pressure. And that is worst case. For you: Get the car set up to achieve, and toss in some basic/intermediate techniques, and then be prepared to see some mpg results that will put a smile on your face.

#5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile-n-Nod View Post

In N the car glides better but the engine is idling and is using fuel.
In D the transmission drag is greater but as long as the revs are up the car can cut fuel. Once the revs drop too much it has to go back into idle.

In general idle with the lower drag is more efficient than fuel cut with more drag, so you use fuel cut when the extra drag is OK: when you have excess speed you need to lose or you're on a steep hill and the car can maintain the limit even with the drag.