User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Our Community » Off-Topic

Off-Topic If it doesn't belong anywhere else you will find it here.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Storm Shelters - Above Ground

Tags: , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Saving more by using less!

Vehicles: 2011 Honda Fit 5MT (Silver), 2003 Honda Accord LX 5MT (Graphite)
Storm Shelters - Above Ground

Hey, with storm season right around the corner here in SW MO, I was wonder who in out communite has an above ground storm shelter?

We are looking at purchasing one of the steel structures and I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good place to buy from? We are looking for a local manufacture (like twistersafe), but I just wanted to see if any one knew of federal grants that we could get. I can't find anything from the state of MO and the City of Joplin doesn't have anything set yet to help with the cost.

We were extremely fortunate to have survived the EF5 tornodo that passed only 2 blocks from our house last May and let me tell you riding it out in the hall way is not what I want to do again with my family.

Any thoughts or assistance that anyone may know of out there for defraying the cost or if you know of a good company to work with.

Maybe I can hire Larry to come down and weld up a safe room for us
Best Seg: 91.5 / 1.2 miles (urban)

Truck - Best tank:516@25.06MPG (traded)
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 92 Civic CX, 97 Ford F-150 4WD
Re: Storm Shelters - Above Ground

I'm getting ready to build an underground earthbag dome as a tornado shelter. Earthbag is an inexpensive method of building a tornado shelter and can be built above ground as well. It will eventually be the underground portion (along with a root cellar) of a cob house that I plan to build. I want to have a house (unlike the typical crackerbox house made from 2X4's and drywall) that won't be scattered across a dozen counties when a tornado comes visiting. With heavy earth walls over 2 feet thick, the worst damage that a tornado could do to a round cob house is maybe break a window and possibly cause some roof damage. Cob is also soundproof, fireproof, termite proof, and earthquake resistant.

aerocivic.com

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

Basjoos , what is a cob house ? Is it made of, or insulated by corn cobs ? It sounds interesting.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 92 Civic CX, 97 Ford F-150 4WD

The term "cob" comes from a Welsh word for "lump", referring to the lumps of cob mix plopped unto the top of the wall when constructing it. The walls of a cob structure are made of a mix of sand, clay, straw. The walls are built up of the wet mix and allowed to dry and, for outer walls, are typically at least 2 feet thick. Unlike adobe, to which it is related, cob dries into a monolithic structure where the straw act as a continuous rebar mesh to make it earth quake resistant and its massive weight means that no tornado will be able to shift it. The roof is built into and imbedded into the top of the cab wall and if screws rather than nails are used in its construction, should withstand tornadic winds with little damage. You can make cob walls into all sorts of free-form shapes (almost like sculpting the house) so you can build a tornado proof house using rounded walls with no corners, which are more wind resistant than the typical "straight walls with corners" house. In Britain, there are cob houses in current use that are several 100 years old. Google "cob house" for more info.

aerocivic.com

Last edited by ItsNotAboutTheMoney : 02-07-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Generous people, they are.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

Thank you !
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Saving more by using less!

Vehicles: 2011 Honda Fit 5MT (Silver), 2003 Honda Accord LX 5MT (Graphite)

sorry I ment to get these posted before. We got a shelter built by a friend and installed on 4/12/2012

It is 4.5 feet wide, 4.5 feet high and 8 feet long

it is being held down to the concrete with 12 HILTI 3/4 inch concrete bolts (each rated to 30,000 lbs load and 15,000 lbs shear.)

it is all constucted of 1/4 inch steel plate, including the floor and with all 1/4 angle iron around the frame. The door has three 1 inch pins that lock into the door frame when the latch is closed and held in place by a pin)

There is an electrical inlet built in but I don't have electricy running to it right now. All Battery lights, fan and a few fold up charis. We feel much more ready now. I have placed the kids in it once since it was installed.

Door closed.

Installed with Door open

Inside with built in bench

VREY BEEFY
Best Seg: 91.5 / 1.2 miles (urban)

Truck - Best tank:516@25.06MPG (traded)
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Practicing true conservatism!

Vehicles: 2005 Kia Spectra EX 5spd, 2006 Honda Accord LX-SE VTEC 5spd, 2007 Kymco People S 250

Very good looking little shelter there. Here's to hoping you'll never have to use it!

Best Segment - 76.5 MPG / 2.8 mi
Best Tank - 748.6mi @ 45.1 MPG 11/11/12

New to the site? Start here! Welcome to CleanMPG Primer
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

What's on the other end of your vent ducting?

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Vehicles: 13 Volt, 12 Express Cargo

does the fan pump air in, and is it filtered?
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die2self View Post
I have placed the kids in it once since it was installed.
Whatever they did, I bet they didn't do it again.