User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Start Your Journey Here

Start Your Journey Here Introductions and post the details of your vehicle and commute here. The experts will help get you up to speed by simplifying a lot of the techniques and helping you apply them to your specific situation.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Mileage challenge - Class A gas RV

Tags:

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Ottawa Member

Vehicles: 2005 Infinity G35 2006 Damon Daybreak
Cool Mileage challenge - Class A gas RV

Hello. I'm a new member from Ottawa, Canada. I am looking to maximize my mileage on a 35' gas powered (Ford V10) Class A RV - a challenge at the best of times. I look forward to other's experiences (if any) and tips and tricks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium
Re: Mileage challenge - Class A gas RV

Welcome to CleanMPG!
What kind of mileage are you getting now? I'm guessing in the 6-7 mpg range.

Go to the link in my signature to read Beating the EPA on how to maximize the mileage in whatever you drive.

I have driven a U-Haul box truck and ridden and monitored the mpg in a 25 passenger Ford E450 bus using a Scangauge.

I prepped the bus by putting the sidewall psi in the tires of 85 psi.
With the V10, if the driver was using steady throttle and staying 55-60 mph, it would get 12-13 mpg. Driving 65 mph in dropped to 8-9 mpg. On the 450 mile drive each way, the tanks averaged about 9mpg. If I were driving and watching the Scangauge, I believe I could have gotten the tank average to 12-13mpg. It was loaded with the max of 25 passengers.

Just a small increase will make a big difference. If you can gain only 1 or 2 mpg, it will make a big difference in your $$$$.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Vehicles: 1997 Volvo 960, 2010 Toyota Prius

I have to agree with you, in a vehicle that large speed is the biggest factor in getting better fuel mileage. Even though this article or white paper from Cummin's Diesel pertains to larger trucks it may help your understand how to increase fuel mileage in a large RV

Cummin's engines Secrets of Better Fuel Economy

#4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

I also meant to add that the big market for the Scangauge II is the RV market. I would highly recommend getting one. As a member here, you can get it for a discount price of $134.95 on the lower right side of the home page.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Also realize that a 0.1 mpg increase in that vehicle saves more fuel than a 10 mpg increase in mine.

The Scangauge should pay for itself in gas savings in no time at all.