User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Toyota Prius Family

Toyota Prius Family Everything and anything relating to the Toyota Prius Family

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

My Life with the Prius C - MPGs & Pics

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 AM

My Life with the Prius C - MPGs & Pics

So I promised I would post some of my first experiences and I thought I would give you a brief background of my hypermiling experience to put things in context.

First I bought my 2006 Honda insight in March of 2009, I've now put some 20K miles on her and started from 46.8 MPG to easily getting 60 plus on a less than ideal commute, some pretty large hills, several stop and goes. I learned to time the lights on the 45 MPH stretch so I hardly get caught by them anymore. The tires are at 55psi on this one and I ridge ride. I do not pulse and glide (neutral) or any more advanced techniques. I also on average am at or above the speed limit for most of the ride. Ok enough on the history, but wanted you to get a feel that I'm no longer a newbie at this, not an expert either!

So my first set of runs on the prius, and I know the Honda insight #'s were estimated using the old inflated method and the new Prius C two is with the new method that is harder on the cars. So I read around here and I saw several in the 50's and some in near 60. So I set my expectation that I would be happy with 50 thinking I'm not a super guru of hypermiling. Boy was I, and am I pleased with my results thus far.

Here was my run back from the dealer, picking up the wife at a 2nd location and heading home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24842648@N02/9689775197/
This was a mix of highway and city, temps were 83, it had just rained, car was warm, and tires were at 35psi. Moderate traffic not generally didn't score less than 4 bars on any start to stop

The next morning was a trip to work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24842648@N02/9689777119/
This was a brisk 68 degree morning, very low traffic, tires at 44psi, I think I hardly had to stop, but for one stop sign and 2 red lights all of which I coasted to stops. Lowest I scored were 4's. Oh this was a cold start run, with the first 3-4 blocks being 40mpg which includes 1 of 3 large hills I hit on my trip.

Then the nightmare trip back from work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24842648@N02/9693015798/
I say nightmare because like most we never want to have to jam on our brakes! So this was in 86 degree weather, heavy traffic and I hit one stop light just horribly and got a 2 bar stop due to the bad timing of the light and just shortly after starting on another light I had to emergency stop to avoid an accident as around here people can't pull into a business without first stopping in the middle of the street! /roadrage/ So as you can imagine I was not so eco on the start after that and got a 3 start But still eeked out above 70mpg

Ok to give an approx. of my commute to work. The first half block is down hill. I live at the peak of the block, then it is a relatively flat 5-10% down grade for 2 blocks. After that I get to climb about a block long 35-40% grade after which I am rewarded with a 10-15% down grade for 3-4 blocks. After that it is a 45% climb for about half a block, after which is levels out again and maybe a 5% downgrade at most rather flat for about the next 2 miles. Here I hit a stop sign and 2 lights. All of this is 25-30 mph zones. After this I turn on to a parkway that is 35-40mph and includes a suspension bridge with probably a 20-25% grade up and down for a block and a flat couple of blocks this has 3 lights 1 before the bridge one after and one before I turn on the county road. After which I get on to a County Road 45mph, and have 4 lights that overall I know the timing off when I was at the speeds of the Honda. From there I have a flat block another turn and a flat block and I'm there. Totals about 6.2 miles each way. So not an ideal commute. I can alternatively hit a highway for part of the trip, but will go into that when I do a few runs that way next week.

Techniques I used on these runs include ridge riding, staying in EV up to 35 and a less aggressive pedal then I used in the Honda. I will keep experimenting with getting out of EV sooner as some have suggested, but considering the results thus far I'm very pleased to top my expectation of 50's with some solid 70's

Best Trips:
794.9 miles 76.6 MPG with a CVT 2006 Honda Insight!
Avg 25mph 7.2miles 86.6 MPG with a Prius C Two CVT
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2014 Prius 3 / MX 5 Miata /06 Prius.
Re: My Life with the Prius C - MPGs & Pics

Excellent results for a start. Keep us posted as this is a interesting read. 79 is a good to and from #'s. Do you feel you are going to like this car? Where you getting many recalibrations with your Insight? Just wondering as I get the odd one with my 2006 HCH2 . H
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the comments. I'm wondering if there is just not a lot of Prius C owners on here or what, but I learned all my hypermiling from here so here is where I am posting results.

Another Trip more results and a few hours behind the seat update:

First, I do think I am going to like this car. If you drive mainly highway I would suggest the 2006 insight. When at speed 57mph it can achieve 75mpg. As my tag says you can get some crazy #'s with this car on the highway. Where it suffers is city, which is still good at 55-60mpg. Where the Prius C is designed very differently. It is meant to be a city car and it strengths are sub 55mph driving. Day to day commutes I think I will see a good solid 70 or more. Long trips it will suffer a bit, but today I took a probably 90% 70 mile trip that I used cruise at 55mph and averaged 62.6mpg. This drive was mainly +/- 5% grades so nothing too insane hill wise and I did not have any panic stops.

Each run I reset the trip, just so I start a fresh run.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24842648@N02/9691748223/

P.S. ignore the eco score - remember I live at the top of my block so thus the low cruise and stop #'s as you have to give it gas up the hill and almost immediately switch to breaking to get in the driveway.

This was done in 75 degree weather, tires at 44psi, ridge riding and I tried like people suggest to pop it out of EV mode after about 20mph. As you can see the battery is more charged than the other photos evidencing my efforts to stay off EV. There were two people in the car. Oh and to top it off about 25% of the trip it rained. I could see a 1mpg difference in the rain, which really is not as bad as my Honda, it rains and it feels like it drops on that car 5mpg.

Overall Car experience: The ride is comfortable even at 44psi, the seats are comfortable, the audio on the prius c two is pretty good for factory even when just streaming Pandora. It has blue tooth so easy to take calls and hook up to your idevice (I have an iphone 4). The ride is reasonably quiet. I would say just a smidge louder than my Honda, but nothing as loud as the chevy Malibu it replaced!

The real hardest thing for me is re-learning the car. Each hybrid has a sweet spot and I know my Honda like the back of my hand. I'm getting good results out of the Prius C, but I think I can do better over time.

Specific questions let me know and I can try to answer them for you. I have not even popped the engine compartment yet, LOL.

To address the rest of your question I am not sure what you mean recalibrations with the Honda 2006. I'll try to reply if I can better understand what you mean

Best Trips:

Last edited by Sunin : 09-07-2013 at 11:35 AM.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran

Recal is when your SOC all of a sudden drops down to two bips than force charges back to full. I also have a 2006 G2 Prius and I find it over states the mpg figures. My HCH2 under states which is good. Prius is about 4% over, so be aware of this when you find the actual is much less than you anticipated! You are familiar with Priuschat? H
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Ahh I have had mine do that twice in the last 6 mos! U want freaky... Pull into traffic on engine only when u expect to have boost lol. But not to get this thread too focused on the 2006 Honda

No not aware of Prius chat. My Honda is within .1 mpg from gauge to dividing miles by gallons

He'll if it is within 10% I'm still getting above 60mpg on my daily commute, which puts a grin ear to ear when u consider this is a 2600lb car 5 seater, has a trunk and can carry 850lbs. Compare that to the Honda and 2 seats limited trunk, 1950lbs and 350 weight limit.

So utility +1 and the mileage to oot how can one not be happy! I did peak under the hood and holy crap that engine is tiny and the EV equip is nearly as big as the engine! The Honda u can't even see the EV parts.

Assuming these live up to the Toyota rep I will get a good ten years of very happy use

Best Trips:

Last edited by Sunin : 09-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Veteran

I am kicking the Prius C around as well. Just having trouble letting go of the Honda! H
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 PM

I gave the wife the Honda, in a day of coaching she is eking out 60.8mpg

I have the Prius and we traded the gas guzzling Malibu 20mpg oye!!!

Best Trips:
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
George

Vehicles: 2012 Prius C Trim 4 /w Sunroof 16" Alloy

Great to see a few Prius C guys now.

The C weights 2500lbs.

Can't wait to hear about your tanks.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Vehicles: 2011 Yaris 2013 Prius c

Sunin- Each time you shut down the car, you get a "ride report" screen after the "see you" screen with your stats for that trip. This may be easier for you than re-setting for each trip, and allows Trip A to be used for a running tally for the tankful... hope this is of some help!
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
Sunin- Each time you shut down the car, you get a "ride report" screen after the "see you" screen with your stats for that trip. This may be easier for you than re-setting for each trip, and allows Trip A to be used for a running tally for the tankful... hope this is of some help!
Hmm that will be a good method.

Best Trips: