User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius II Hatch

2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius II Hatch Everything and anything relating to the Second Generation Toyota Prius Hatch.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

2006-7.5 yo batt-rotten eggs-DEAD-NADA-DEAD

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran

2006-7.5 yo batt-rotten eggs-DEAD-NADA-DEAD

1 HR ago-9:45a-son comes in says something to wife "car running ok"
Gist-2006 Prius DEAD-
No lights-no anything-dead- NADA-nothing
I can't get the hatch open-but the car has a HEAVY rotten egg odor-strongest in the back-under the beauty cover
My question

1)How do you get the hatch open?
2)Battery is 7.5 years old-83,000 miles-NOLA is hot- best bet-is this a dead 12 volt battery?
3) Just how do a I remove replace the battery- there was a small rectangular "box" inboard of what I take to be the battery-it has a white electical clip-how does it pull out? I don't really see anything to press to release it.
4)Why the rotten eggs? Should be a vent-tube looks ok-was it trying so hard to charge this dead battery-it "did something" to vent-cracked battery-looks OK at a glance

Any chance SAMS WALMART have this battery- is the yellow top optima any better than any other battery-

Some video showing battery replacement?
Not the way I planned to spend sunday
thanks
cHARLIE
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt
Re: 2006-7.5 yo batt-rotten eggs-DEAD-NADA-DEAD

Hatch:
http://priuschat.com/threads/opening...battery.56482/

Smell from inrernal venting? Remove and replace as sooncas possible, Yellow top is consideeed good. Can get dedicated Prius or I believe there's some kind of adapter/mod availsble.for the standard one.

Last edited by ItsNotAboutTheMoney : 11-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Vehicles: 13 Volt, 12 Express Cargo

Hmmm. Wonder if this is the soon to be issue in my friends 05 prius. It doesnt smell like rotten eggs. More like farm manure, and worse when sitting in the back seat.

It was so bad one day we stopped and pulled out all the floor mat, checked our shoes for poop too
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStepChild View Post
Hmmm. Wonder if this is the soon to be issue in my friends 05 prius. It doesnt smell like rotten eggs. More like farm manure, and worse when sitting in the back seat.

It was so bad one day we stopped and pulled out all the floor mat, checked our shoes for poop too
The problem is exacerbated if thebattery isn't ventig properly. There should be a tube connected to the battery that vents any fumes to the outside.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Vehicles: 1997 Volvo 960, 2010 Toyota Prius

My third gen has a jump location in the fuse box under the hood for this type of problem.

It's safe to hook the positive cable to tab but do not start the car up using this quick charge tab. If you put any serious power through this fuse box tab you may blow a main power fuse and then you're dead in the water and will need to be towed to a dealer for a fix.

You can hook up 12V power either through jumper cables or a jump pack and it will provide power to open the hatch release.

Toyota really needs to put a manual hatch release in an easy to access area in the passenger compartment to solve this problem.

For anyone reading this never ever use this tab to jump another vehicle or your Prius due to the possibility of damaging the electrical system of your car.

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Odd
I posted a response to you folks couple of hrs ago-guess I goofed

In any case-the vent tube was hooked up-guessing it isn't plugged down stream-maybe I'll blow in it??

Turns out"someone" left the lights "half off" -suspect they were on for 14 hrs.
The battery was STILL hot when I pulled it
I am attempting to charge it-big maybe- in the hopes of my son using it until the Optima replacement-$163 amazon-arrives Friday or so. Yeah maybe it will take a charge

Opening the hatch-62 yo crawling in-pushing the latch from backside-lotta fun.

Yeah we'll see-after that odor-got my doubts it will take a charge-7.5 yo-hmmm
Thanks
Charlie
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicles: 99 Elantra, 06 Sedona, 05 Prius Pkg BC

The battery is a pain in the rear to source locally. Essentially, you're left with only the Toyota shop to find one. A yellow top can be had (I bought one last year) but it's an online only deal through just one company (they send an adapter so it fits the Prius).
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1981 Mazda GLC M5; 1975 Windsor Pro (bike); 1984 Trek 620; 1961 Schwinn Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophbalance View Post
... it's an online only deal through just one company (they send an adapter so it fits the Prius).
What's that battery normally used in, without the adapter? Motorcycles, snowmobiles, or some such thing? (Just guessing ... )
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Caliente!

Vehicles: '00 Echo, '09 H-D Nightster, '11 Kia Rio

Optima = thoroughly excellent battery. Have had one (red top) in my Mustang for 13 years with no signs of slowing down. Have discharged it twice in that time by accident and it has risen from the ashes. And I'm fairly crappy at battery maintenance to boot.

Unless Wal-Mart has an Optima available (I would think they do), don't even think about going there for a battery. The private-label Ever Start (we call them Never Start) batteries themselves aren't really any worse than your standard lead acid batteries - probably a Johnson Controls one like so many batteries - but I have only very rarely heard of someone able to get a battery they bought there replaced under warrantee.

-James
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran

The Optima-will need an adaptor?
It has the same #more or less as the oem-maybe 1st two letters are different-don't have it in sight
I though it was drop in?
DS46B24R

Oh put it in -old battery-after 5 hrs charging-it seemed to take 2-3 amps for 3 hrs-then it dropped to close to zero amps.
Put it in-hit power-whole dash-with warning lights-lit up-but it wouldn't actually start-and in a vety few seconds-everything went off-
I could get the faintest light from a cabin light-that was it.

Is there anything tricky to replacing the battery-and BS codes or crap I have to get a dealer to do??
Can I just replace battery-drive off-no BS-(If it arrives with an adaptor-no big deal)-
but is there any inherent Toyota dealer trickery I'll have to do-codes I won't be able to enter without some dealer gadget?
Thanks
Charlie-
PS-Just checked it-ROTTEN EGGS AGAIN-gotta get battery out-yeah battery warm-assume some sort of internal short-even if we had some tiny bulb "on" the battery wouldn't get hot-it is hot again.
PPS- but the battery cooled off yesterday when it was out-so maybe something is "on" how much does that car draw at "rest"-maybe a bulb is clicked on-or worse-unlikely-there is some nasty short in the car-suspect not but.
The stupid push switches-you can't tell if they are in on position just by looking.Hate things like that-Geez I am old and grouchy

Last edited by phoebeisis : 11-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.