User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

What synthetic oil do you use and why?

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM

What synthetic oil do you use and why?

I’ve used synthetic (Mainly Mobil-1) oil since the 1980s. Never saw a MPG increase (And I keep detailed logs). I mainly use it for the added protection. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time.
So I’m wondering if others have experienced the zero mpg increase with synthetic vs. conventional oils.
Also, what oils do you use? Castrol has Syntec and Edge. Is Edge worth the added cost?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Vehicles: 1997 Volvo 960, 2010 Toyota Prius
Re: What synthetic oil do you use and why?

I run Mobil One 10W30 in my Volvo 960. Since it only gets one oil change a year it makes sense to use synthetic. Toyota fills the Prius with their own 0W20 synthetic. From oil analyses I have seen this new Toyota 0W20 synthetic is a very high quality oil. Toyota recommends a 10K or one year oil change interval with this new oil.

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 VW Golf TDI

Used to use Esso XD-3 0w-40 for my 2001 TDI. Full synthetic, relatively cheap, and a pretty high quality product. Was very happy with it. For my new car, Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. One of the few oils available in North America that meets VW 507.00 spec. Have always used synthetic to keep the engine happy and run the recommended 10k mile oil change interval.

#4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD

I use what Ford says to use which is approved 5W-20. Mobil 1 has an approved 5W-20 synthetic but I've never seen any better MPG than Motorcraft 5W-20 Blend using Mobil 1. I've never seen a drop in MPG throughout the 10,000 mile oil change requirement in the FEH and it doesn't improve after a change.

I have seen a ~1 1/2 MPG improvement using regular Pennzoil 5W-20 from using Motorcraft 5W-20 Blend, but the increase slowly drops at around 3,000 miles. I haven't tried Pennzoil in my FEH's because I go 10,000 miles between changes as recommended.

GaryG
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Vehicles: 1995 blazer , 1999 venture , 2004 Cavalier

I use Amsoil (for the price) and have never seen any difference in FE on any different oil. I suppose I just got tired of changing oil so now I'm up to 2 year intervals in all my vehicles. I do a fleet of 20 or so trucks/cars and we've done 1 year intervals for 30+ years. The first 10-15 years was mobil 1 and the last 10-15 years was amsoil.

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

I've used Mobil One since the mid 70's.

My Dad did not think it was worth it - Honda dealerships have discourage me, saying it gums up stuff.

Back in 92, I credit it for keeping a catastrophic oil pan rupture from ruining the 1988 CRX HF's engine.

I just change oil after about a year and 20,000 miles on my Insight.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota

Mobil 1 5W-20. At first for better MPG (no luck), then just to keep the car in top shape.

I tried 0W-20, but found that to be too thin for the Civic.

Now I run it because I'm sure it saved the engine from heat-seize after radiator problems at least twice during racing season last year.

3 changes in 3,000 miles, but its cheaper than an engine.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-21-2010, 02:01 AM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

A good question is how often to change oil?

I generally do it every 3000-4000 miles....20,000 is the exception.

My leanings is sustainability of the engine is more important than more frequent oil changes that go into the recycle tank anyway.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 AM

Vehicles: 09 Pontiac Vibe 2.4 Stick shift, 70 Land Rover IIA Diesel

Castrol Syntec 5w-30 for my wife's 03 Cooper S, this is a once a year oil change which is way under the 25,000 kms that they recommend.
Mobil 1 5w-20 for my 09 Vibe 2.4 which is usually twice a year due to mileage. And finally Kawasaki 10w-40 Syn in my 00 W650, again once a year change before I put it away for the winter, I have had no problems with the wet clutch on the bike due to using Syn oil.

Neddy.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2012 MINI Cooper

I try to change my oil every 5,000 miles nowadays. That's up from the 3K I used to run. But I am a lazy sod sometimes, so I think it's been a bit more than 5K miles for this change.

-soD