User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Ford Escape or Mercury mariner Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Tags: , ,

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03' Honda Civic Hybrid
Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Quote:
3. Use EV as much as possible. This means drain the battery when ever you can. If you don’t have a Nav sys energy screen with the battery level, don’t let that stop you. Your job is to get every bit of energy from that battery as possible. This is a hybrid, don’t let the battery sit there, use it! Drive slower roads, city and behind trucks. Using EV can increase your MPG average over 60mpg on a trip and increase your tank average over 40mpg.
I always thought using the battery was not optimal for two reasons. 1) what you drain out of the battery has to go back in which drains fe while charging it, 2) mechanical to electrical to mechanical conversion is not as efficient as using just mechanical energy.

Your mileage is far greater than what I get so I know you know much more than me about this stuff, but I'm confused as to why I'm wrong in my thinking.
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD

Hi Tom

Your not alone in your thinking about replacing the energy with burning more fuel. It maybe the case with the Honda, but not the FEH. At 30-35mph, the FEH may average ~36mpg for the the two miles to recharge the battery. Now add the EV distance of 1.2 miles at 9,999 MPG (scangauge reading) to come up with an overall average for 3.2 miles.

The icing on the cake is the fake shift in "L" which packs a big charge from regen when the battery is low or high. So much energy is packed in the battery so fast, three shifts will overheat the system and safety features will not allow any more regen. Hoping to hit Wayne's estimate for the FEH of 72-75mpg RT real soon. Just had to much wind here lately.

GaryG
  #23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 AM
7 Years of Hypermiler Experience

Vehicles: 2004 Prius Hatchback

crazy you should have map with details on your 70 mpg segment.
  #24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Veteran

Hi Phil

Got my FEH to just over 70mpg for 25 miles today with 10-15mph winds. Was hoping to bring it home and takes some pictures but ran into traffic and the MPG started dropping off. In the beginning of the trip I didn't have it all together but found a good pattern and started hitting 71.8mpg on the low side of the battery at ICE start, and 68.5mpg good to go for another EV run of P&G. At this point, I know if I get my act together from the start and run a clean trip, I'll hit 72mpg for sure. The windows were all down to max because it was about 90F outside. Wayne will be right on with 72-75mpg with me driving, I just need a good day now. We also know Wayne would be able to push the FEH another 15-20mpg over any other human on this earth. BTW, this was with no FAS with the key.

GaryG
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Veteran

I say we put up money to put xcel and krousdb on the same stretch of road at the same time for an FE race. It could be a fun competion as both are VERY good.
  #26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Answers to "that guy."

Vehicles: 2009 Volvo V70

It would almost be worth showing up just to see that. Let's see how high their mileage is with the rest of us piled into the car watching their technique.
  #27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Oh, I just remembered. They will probably both be at hybrid fest. We may need to have an "invitational" class where the elite are in their own class.
  #28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 AM
7 Years of Hypermiler Experience

Vehicles: 2004 Prius Hatchback

wow hm..... i thought windows down is such a FE killer, even in the city. It makes me feel my coasts are dragged down so I rather take the heat No ac air is good enough most of the time anyway.
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2006, 04:38 PM

Vehicles: 2000 Explorer

With regard to charging Escape Hybrid batteries in our homes, there is something missing here. These are just batteries we are charging. With the correct, available AC to DC voltage converter, and maybe a voltage step device, anyone can charge any battery off of either 110 or 220 volts AC that we have in our houses.

I assume the Escape Hybrid battery pack ends up joining several batteries in series to operate at a higher than 220 volt DC level. It still can be done. We only need to know how the engine charges the same battery to figure out how to make a cheap battery charger.

The EDrive and Hymotion kits are fine, professional packages for fleet operators, but there has to be a huge aftermarket low budget option for current HEV owners.

Get back to me by email if you have any insights, suggestions, recommendations.
  #30   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Veteran

If someone needs to charge the battery quick, the fake shift in "L" will do the trick real fast. The present system really doesn't another charger from an AC house plug IMHO.

Well, today marks another day of a 70+ RT and its starting to get easier to improve. Total distance was about 20 miles with 10 miles with a tailwind at 10-15mph and a strong dead on headwind of the same coming back. Kept the start better for the first 10 miles and the scangauge read ~78mpg low start battery and a ~73mpg with the battery ready for the glide again. Things turned around with the headwind and caused my average to drop to end up with 70.3mpg. The windows were fully down again but I may raise them next time going against the wind. Had alot of gust inside the FEH but was tring to hold my average and wasn't thinking about the real problem. On a calm day, I think the FEH is good for 75mpg just as Wayne predicted.

The trip was from my house north to Hope Sound National Refuge on Jupiter Island. Perfect beach road with the most expensive estate's in our Country. The police watch the speed limit of 30mph just great and golfcarts have the right of way. It is a two lane road with no passing along about 50% of the road. Except for the wind and traffic, I had ideal conditions for the FEH.

GaryG