User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Ford Escape or Mercury mariner Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Tags: , ,

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM

Vehicles: '05 FEH AWD
Thumbs up Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
VietVet'67

Phillip the tire pressure needs to be {Adjusted-Cold} and just as a Comment only. If you don't want to worry about how much Air Pressure to put in the tires. You can always put in the (Maximum Sidewall Pressure).

My HCH II calls for I think (without-looking) 42 Lbs. Maximum Sidewall Pressure. I have adjusted it to 50 1/4 Lbs. I like the (No-Flex) ride that it gives you with the Increased Tire Pressure.

So, once again to answer your, Question? COLD

Regards;

Terry
BTW; Off Topic Here, I read all the stories on Viet Nam, interesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Phillip:

Terry is right, I set mine at 44psi cold which will increase as the tire gets hot. The 44psi cold is max sidewall for the stock Eco Plus tires. The only reason I don't go higher is liability as I've said many time. If I have a blowout and hurt someone, I don't want investigators finding over 44psi in the tires still full which may switch liability away from the manufacturer and solely on me. We could all get sued for a crash, but the manufacturer's insurance carries a bigger stick because of deeper pockets. I prefer to have them on my side of the table unless I'm suing them. We all pay for insurance, so why not be prepared for a claim if needed.

GaryG
Thanks Terry and Gary to both of you. That was also my thinking – Cold – but I guess I just needed a little validation. Yeah Terry on the FEH the stock Eco Plus is 44psi and I am with Gary on not wanting to go over that limit for a couple of reasons. One might be a blow-out and trying to get an exchange – ‘You had 60psi what did you expect’.
From the far reaches of my brain I remember something from one of my former vehicle instruction booklets saying something like ‘If you have been driving for a reasonable time, your tire pressure could be as much as 4 – 6 lbs higher than when they are cold – so take that into calculating what pressure you should be shooting for;’ Example: Cold temp to be 36psi you should be looking for 40 – 42psi when hot. Going to go with 44psi (adjust up 2 lbs) tomorrow.

Taking ‘driving habits’ out of the equation does anyone know of any other things (beside tire pressure, oil – and something I am going to leave – removal of the roof rack, AC - Max anything etc) that can be done to increase FE? Currently running Mobil 1 Full Synth 5w-20, 44psi etc. Has anyone tried the 0w-20 and if so any difference? Also say changing out the stock spark plugs for Bosch Platinum+4.

Thanks Guys – God Bless

Combat Infantryman Badge

Last edited by VietVet'67 : 04-01-2006 at 10:21 PM.
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Post Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Hi Phillip;

Your comments/questions are:
Taking ‘driving habits’ out of the equation does anyone know of any other things (beside tire pressure, oil – and something I am going to leave – removal of the roof rack, AC - Max anything etc) that can be done to increase FE? Currently running Mobil 1 Full Synth 5w-20, 44psi etc. Has anyone tried the 0w-20 and if so any difference? Also say changing out the stock spark plugs for Bosch Platinum+4.

I take it that you can adjust the (Climate Control) to what ever temp you want. I would and do set mine at like, 78-79 Degrees. And "Never" on Max. This allows the system to actually cycle on and off. Which will give you additional FE/MPG.

Speaking of Oil. I would go with the, "Mobil Full Synthetic=0-20" This will give you the protection and the Lightest Oil for Start Up's. Plus added FE/MPG.

Cannot really (Honestly) make a comment on the change of the "Spark-Plugs". I run what comes in the Vehicle from the Factory and I think they Last for like 100K.

HTH (Hope-This-Helps)

#13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD
Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Phillip, I'm now using 5-20W Mobil 1 as I just found it in Walmart for the first time. Bought the oil filter at the Dealership with both oil rings for $12 as a package now. Xcel said that I sould have used the 0-20W, but that's not what everything calls for. Anyway, it much warmer here in So. FL and I'm breaking my own FE records everyday. Most of the time now I try to maintain a >50mpg tank average and keep the scangauge showing the Tank MPG display. Cold starts are a pain to catch back up with, but you can't let them sink you. During warm up is the only time I get a full HV battery before I start using EV anymore.

As far as spark plugs, stay with the stock motorcraft part #. The system is set for them and may not like any other ones. The way I drive at low RPM's and EV, mine should last 200,000 miles. Taking care of the connections would be a bigger concern IMO. The only mod that I do is use RainX on my windshield. Mainly because I draft above 50mph and don't want a cracked windshield.

Try doing as much 1,800 RPM accelerating as you can. Just hold the tach there till you get to the speed you want. The Atkinson 5 cycle's torque curve is just about flat from there to about 2,200 rpm's. Jump to 2,300-2,400 and hold if you have too, this is the next best torque range I've found. Get back to 1,800 ASAP. Very rarely do I use the fake shift now to lower RPM's. It was great when I was growing up, but now I'm not so heavy on the go pedal as age has settled in (one year).

GaryG
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM

Vehicles: 2000 Explorer

Hi all, I'm new here. My situation is I am a retired engineer, and my Wife and I went to the Nashville Auto Show yesterday, and now she wants to get a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, because gas prices are so high. We have a perfectly good 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC that gets an average of 20 mpg, with 133,000 miles on it, and everything on it works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the gas tank, it keeps getting empty too soon. I have been thinking about a hybrid, but I was hoping to wait another 4 years.

Thanks for the excellent forum thread! It sounds to me like many of the tricks you use to get good mileage could be programmed into the Escape computer strategy. I'm sure having worked at Ford Engine for 18 years, one reason Ford engine engineers don't offer this strategy is because so many customers who are comfortbale with todays vehicles would complain about the driveability.

Maybe Ford needs to take a risk and offer a high mileage "button" with some disclaimers attached, like please ignore jerks and noises in this mode, but you will get better mileage if you push this button. I think you would get a lot of happy customers who care more about MPG than driveability, as long as they know the car is functioning OK.

A question I have to you FEH enthusists, is there an aftermarket product that will allow you to charge the battery off of 110 or 220 VAC? That should really reduce your gas consumption for a high percentage of drivers.
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Smile Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonoreTn
Hi all, I'm new here. My situation is I am a retired engineer, and my Wife and I went to the Nashville Auto Show yesterday, and now she wants to get a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, because gas prices are so high. We have a perfectly good 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC that gets an average of 20 mpg, with 133,000 miles on it, and everything on it works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the gas tank, it keeps getting empty too soon. I have been thinking about a hybrid, but I was hoping to wait another 4 years.

Thanks for the excellent forum thread! It sounds to me like many of the tricks you use to get good mileage could be programmed into the Escape computer strategy. I'm sure having worked at Ford Engine for 18 years, one reason Ford engine engineers don't offer this strategy is because so many customers who are comfortbale with todays vehicles would complain about the driveability.

Maybe Ford needs to take a risk and offer a high mileage "button" with some disclaimers attached, like please ignore jerks and noises in this mode, but you will get better mileage if you push this button. I think you would get a lot of happy customers who care more about MPG than driveability, as long as they know the car is functioning OK.

A question I have to you FEH enthusists, is there an aftermarket product that will allow you to charge the battery off of 110 or 220 VAC? That should really reduce your gas consumption for a high percentage of drivers.
VonoreTn

Just wanted to say, Welcome to CleanMPG and as you have already noticed their are members here that have alot of info. on getting high FE (Fuel-Economy).

Terry

#16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03' Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonoreTn
I'm not an owner of a FEH, but I know there is a manufactuer selling or soon to be selling this type of thing for the Prius. I believe it will be the next evolution, and Toyota has made comments about the next prius having this option.
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-09-2006, 09:16 PM
7 Years of Hypermiler Experience

Vehicles: 2004 Prius Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaleno
I'm not an owner of a FEH, but I know there is a manufactuer selling or soon to be selling this type of thing for the Prius. I believe it will be the next evolution, and Toyota has made comments about the next prius having this option.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...on_unveil.html

if you don't mind the $10000 price tag but if you drive than less than 30 miles a day it could be a good option hehe.
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03' Honda Civic Hybrid

From what I read $10K was for orders of 100 or more.

If you spent $1000/Year on gas it would take 10 years to break even. Moneywise its not worth it. However, there may be more reasons that money to do it. It would help reduce emissions. And I'm sure there are other benifits.
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 AM
7 Years of Hypermiler Experience

Vehicles: 2004 Prius Hatchback

ya EV's are so quiet which is my #1 reason for liking them.

Hm why is GaryG escape yet weights twice as much as mine but get better mileage, I guess the power of the electric motor is that crazy huh? And the efficencies of mechanical energy to electrical is pretty good on Ford's part and as a bonus its the quietest SUV you can buy next to the Toyota hybrids.

Although if Gary had a prius in his hands, and decides to drive exactly the way he did now (abit with a few modifcations) I wonder what his mileage would be?

Last edited by philmcneal : 04-10-2006 at 06:09 AM.
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD

Shannon, from the Yahoo FEH Group ask this question. For a newbie FEH owner, it’s hard to know where to start with any “hypermiler”/FE tricks, rank opportunites?

1. The best way to start with FE, is stop using fuel every chance you get. This simply means shut down the engine (ICE) to glide or stop. The three ways to do this in the FEH besides automatic is FAS (force auto stop) by turning off the key, and under 40mph, tap the brakes or shift to low gear after the ICE is warmed up. Note that FAS is a great way to save fuel with a cold ICE. A cold ICE uses much more fuel and reduces MPG while warming up and even more sitting still at a stoplight. Also, you will find that FAS will reduce the distance for warm up to go electric vehicle (EV). Turn the key off if the system will not shut off when not needed. The FEH was made for on/off ICE operation. Also, make all adjustment and check for traffic before starting the ICE.

2. Limit fuel going through the ICE as much as possible. Your right foot needs to be retrained for this. Accelerate at 1,800 RPM’s (hold 1,800 till you reach final speed) or max 2,300 to 2,500. The torque of the ICE at 1,900 to 2,200 is limited and not FE. Back off the accelerator at final speed as much as possible to maintain speed. That 1,900 to 2,200 RPM range is not a good place to hold for FE.

3. Use EV as much as possible. This means drain the battery when ever you can. If you don’t have a Nav sys energy screen with the battery level, don’t let that stop you. Your job is to get every bit of energy from that battery as possible. This is a hybrid, don’t let the battery sit there, use it! Drive slower roads, city and behind trucks. Using EV can increase your MPG average over 60mpg on a trip and increase your tank average over 40mpg.

4. It is very important to know battery management for EV driving and ICE/electric assist to increase FE. The maximum you can drain the FEH battery in normal driving is to the 40% level. The maximum the battery will charge with the ICE/generator is just below 60%, this leaves regenerative braking to bring the level up to a full 60% level. Any charging above 60% will be used to force the generator to burn off energy by turning up the ICE RPM’s in a neutral state (not moving the Vehicle). Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the battery and charging system allows you to increase FE. The ICE burns more fuel turning the generator with a low SoC (state of charge) of the HV battery. This is because the battery can take a faster charge at the lower level causing the ICE/generator to work at maximum load. The distance at 30-35mph to charge the battery from ~40 to ~60% is about two miles with the ICE/generator under normal conditions. At these speeds in EV, the distance to drain the battery is about 1.2 miles. The MPG you can get driving the FEH in EV draining the battery and charging it with the ICE/generator is about 60mpg. If you want to increase the 60mpg, you need to take advantage of the battery and charging system manually. So far, I’ve pushed the FEH to 68mpg in a 30mph speed limit with limited traffic and increased my averages over all roads under 50mph limits. Keeping the battery level as low as possible (below 50%) will allow you to use the ICE when it’s needed for speed. The ICE/generator will top off your battery to be used later for a longer EV distance to regain your higher average. Driving EV with a low battery and using fake shifts in low (“L”) to assist the ICE /generator during charging, is the key to improve distance in EV and increasing FE. When the ICE is started because of a drained battery, charging the battery with the regenerative brake system (fake shift) and the ICE/generator will quickly pack a charge in a short distance. Letting off the gas pedal in “L” (fake shift) twice in a distance of say two blocks, can give you a charge that may carry the FEH four blocks in EV. The low SoC is causing the ICE to drink fuel during this time, but the distance in EV makes up for the lost and more for better FE.

Always use “L” for slowing if the battery can use a charge. If more braking is required, use the brake pedal but apply as easy as you can. This will cause the traction motor and the wheels to generate the most charge to the battery and save your brake pads and rotors.

5. Glide in neutral to maintain a higher speed longer whenever you can in EV or ICE On. Tapping the brakes in neutral can shut down the ICE under 40mph to improve FE even more. Pulse (accelerate) at 1,800 rpm’s or EV and glide in neutral any time you can. Gliding during warm up will improve FE. This is part of my warm up every day.

6. Draft whenever possible.

7. Always try to park with a drained battery.

Ranking these opportunities for better FE is not easy. Maintaining 44psi in your tires maybe hard to do, depending on how fast they leak down. One tire I have has to be checked every five days and the others at fill up. Having a scangauge is something I wouldn’t be without. It has helped me determine what works for FE. The amount of fuel used instead of the amount you put in the tank is the only way you can determine your FE in the FEH IMHO. Resetting the tank refill on the scangauge will give the information needed at fill up.

GaryG