User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Ford Escape or Mercury mariner Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Tags: , ,

#101   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT
Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Andrew, members here typically use the block heater all the way through summer because of the benefits it offers. I'm in MN and I can tell you without a doubt (even though I don't drive an FEH!) that the block heater is worth the investment. Consider that the most wear for your engine occurs when the engine is cold and I think you'll agree that the block heater is worth the enhancement in engine longevity alone -- even ignoring all the other benefits you'll get!

Welcome to the forums and do let us know as you come up with more questions -- we love to help!

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #102   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Still Learning

Vehicles: 12 Leaf SL, 07 FEH, 94 Trek 720

Hi Andrew,

I agree with Sean, the block heater will definitely help. My winters are not as cold as yours, but without the block heater it takes over 3 km to get my temperature up to the 68C necessary to go EV, but with the heat its less than .8 km.

Rob
  #103   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaFEH View Post
Hi Gary,

I realize this is an old post, but the info is all new and relevant to me in that I just bought a 2005 FEH AWD and a Scan GaugeII

I live in a very cold climate--and soon to move to the world's second coldest capital: Ottawa. So my question to you is...
Do you think it worth the $700 odd dollars it costs to get the engine block heater/battery warmer installed? I'm expecting to get very poor MPG in -20 Celsius, so I imagine that being able to "plug it in" at night (unfortunately not to charge the battery) would help somewhat.

In the first few days, I managed to get my average MPG up to 31 at one point using your techniques, but finding it very difficult to stay there. Hoping the scan gauge will help.

Looking forward to your reply.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

The $700 seems a bit steep to me because many post have claim the cost at less than half that. If you can't order the parts and install it your self, I'd gets some bids before paying that much. In your conditions, a block heater is a good idea above the mileage savings. My understanding is (I don't have one here in FL) the block heater should be on a timer for 3 hours prior to you commute to not over do it with household energy. Do some coolant and head temperature monitoring with a SGII to adjust what works better with your conditions as far as when and how long to plug the heater in.

I just ordered a new '09 FWD FEH and found I can't order the block heater as an option. It comes standard in some states that have freezing weather, and is a option only on approved fleet sales. I may get a price on adding it on the new FEH and determine if I want to save a little money and do it myself.

Make sure you do the radiator blocks mentioned in many threads and most importantly read my post on the FEH patented warm-up strategy here in the Ford section. The SGII SoC gauge is great to monitor at what stage the strategy is at with SoC levels dropping below the minimum 40% to as low as 32%. I have two SGII to monitor and I need both to stay on top of my mileage much better. You can see how I have them mounted in my photo gallery.

GaryG
  #104   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM

Smile Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Thanks Sean, Rob, and Gary

Nice to feel like I'm not the only slow-driving enviro geek out there.

Things are generally that much more expensive in the Great White North, but I will certainly check out other options--although installing something myself may be a bit beyond me...The whole "tape up your radiator grill" thing feels counterintuitive, but makes sense.

Another question: How does one get the Scan Gauge to read the SoC? I'm assuming I have to put in a code in XGauge mode and then get some values back, interpret them, do some "MTH" and then give it a name...then it appears as a selectable option in "Gauge"?...I tried it once with a code that I found here in the forums (which I can't seem to find again), but I think the car was off. Not realizing at first that "Send" actually meant that SGII was communicating with the car's computer.

Not to be too much of a complainer while I'm still so new to these posts, but the ScanGauge II Manual is terribly unclear--definitely intended for those already "in the know" and not for newbies like me who just want great MPG and who don't want to do tons of research and learning in order to pull out of the driveway. What are PIDs anyway? Why can't the pdf on ScanGauge's web site with all the values for XGauge and the various vehicles simply tell you "for SoC readout, do this"? I have no idea what to do with those numbers.

Again, thanks for the responses. I will have to do some more reading when time permits...perhaps I will even write a "Hypermiling for Dummies" article.

Andrew
  #105   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
ФЕХ Царйца

Vehicles: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD

Quote:
Hi Gary,

I realize this is an old post, but the info is all new and relevant to me in that I just bought a 2005 FEH AWD and a Scan GaugeII

I live in a very cold climate--and soon to move to the world's second coldest capital: Ottawa. So my question to you is...
Do you think it worth the $700 odd dollars it costs to get the engine block heater/battery warmer installed? I'm expecting to get very poor MPG in -20 Celsius, so I imagine that being able to "plug it in" at night (unfortunately not to charge the battery) would help somewhat.

In the first few days, I managed to get my average MPG up to 31 at one point using your techniques, but finding it very difficult to stay there. Hoping the scan gauge will help.

Looking forward to your reply.

Andrew
Hi Andrew --

Welcome, & congratulations on your '05 FEH - it is a great little SUV

Are you sure yours doesn't already have an EBH? I drove mine for a year before I took a close look at the sticker & found mine had one that came standard I had to ask a tech at my dealership where it was - & it took *2* of them to find it The plug tucks up under the front license-plate. There's a little ledge up there where it fits while not in use, & even stays clean in rain & snow

If you have the sticker for it, check there, or ask at your dealer. (I apologize if you've already done this )

I can tell you from experience, the EBH *does* make a difference - so does a grille-block

Beyond that, read & re-read GaryG's & Wayne's articles & just keep adding new techniques to your hypermiling repertoire. We look forward to hearing about your progress

Debbie

I my FEH
  #106   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Vehicles: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Thanks Sean, Rob, and Gary

Nice to feel like I'm not the only slow-driving enviro geek out there.

Things are generally that much more expensive in the Great White North, but I will certainly check out other options--although installing something myself may be a bit beyond me...The whole "tape up your radiator grill" thing feels counterintuitive, but makes sense.

Another question: How does one get the Scan Gauge to read the SoC? I'm assuming I have to put in a code in XGauge mode and then get some values back, interpret them, do some "MTH" and then give it a name...then it appears as a selectable option in "Gauge"?...I tried it once with a code that I found here in the forums (which I can't seem to find again), but I think the car was off. Not realizing at first that "Send" actually meant that SGII was communicating with the car's computer.

Not to be too much of a complainer while I'm still so new to these posts, but the ScanGauge II Manual is terribly unclear--definitely intended for those already "in the know" and not for newbies like me who just want great MPG and who don't want to do tons of research and learning in order to pull out of the driveway. What are PIDs anyway? Why can't the pdf on ScanGauge's web site with all the values for XGauge and the various vehicles simply tell you "for SoC readout, do this"? I have no idea what to do with those numbers.

Again, thanks for the responses. I will have to do some more reading when time permits...perhaps I will even write a "Hypermiling for Dummies" article.

Andrew
In the gallery I have a list of xgauges for the FEH. The entries for TXD,RXF,RXD,MTH, and even NAM are there, but you can make up any NAM that you like.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...FEH_xgauge.JPG

There are many,many more possible xgauges, but not that many that are useful for every day driving. In fact, a lot on the list above I rarely ever use, but they could be useful in debugging if the need arises.

For me, SoC is ALWAYS there, MxC, CHT, Tav are usually there,depending on what conditions I'm driving in. I also have current fuel economy as an xgauge.
  #107   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks Carl,

That did the trick. I now have Current MPG, RPM, SoC, and eCVT Temperature on the Gauge. I think that's all I need until I get used to the car a little more and actually do some driving.

For the moment I've only been making 10 minute trips and it's quite difficult to get above 30MPG with little chance to warm up. I did get 46 MPG on a return trip this morning, so something is working right!

Going to try the grille block next and double check to see if I do or don't have a block heater.

Best,

Andrew
  #108   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Debbie,

Thanks so much for that info about the Block Heater! I checked today and my FEH does indeed have the plug tucked up under the front plate just as you said.

Was cruising around today at 60kph (37mph) in EV mode--Immensely satisfying.

Best,

Andrew
  #109   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2008, 03:25 PM

Vehicles: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Hello,
I just got a new '08 Escape Hybrid and am loving it. I do a lot of highway driving in very mountainous country. I drive 60+ miles roundtrip just about every day and average around 30 mpg on the highway (31-32mpg on the way to town, 28-29mpg on the return trip). I am very pleased with the city fuel economy, the other day I was getting an average of 55mpg in town using some of the techniques mentioned here, though I can consistently average 45 mpg in town.
I had a couple of questions regarding highway fuel economy in particular. Going up steep hills, I have to keep the engine going at around 3,500 to 4,200 rpms to keep my speed at 60-65 mph (speed limit is 65) and the FE dips to 20 mpg or a little below. Going downhill, that immediately jumps way down to under 1,500 rpms, and my fuel mileage meter suddenly jumps to maximum. The mileage meter on the navigation system only goes to 60 mpg, and the sudden jump all the way to max that tells me that I may be getting better than 60 mpg while descending hills. Does the mileage gauge actually measure above 60 mpg even though I'm not seeing it? If it doesn't, would the average mpg the computer shows me be lower than the actual mileage I'm getting? Do you have any tips for maximizing FE for the type of terrain I drive in on the highway? How much better mileage can I expect once the vehicle breaks in (it has 380 miles on it now)?
Thanks very much for your help!
Craig

Last edited by CraigG : 05-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.
  #110   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD

Hi Craig

Yes, the Max Econ is measuring your average above 60mpg, it just will not display your mileage above 60mpg unless your in the metric readout. Most of us use the scangauge that will confirm mileage up to 9,999mpg averages.

You are getting exceptional mileage with only a few hundred miles on your MMH, so keep up the good work. Try to stay away from RPM's between 3,000 and 3,500 climbing hills because the torque curve is flat in that area.

When climbing hills, keep your speed and RPM's as low as possible, and read about driving with load (DWL) on this site. Shift to "N" to glide down hills and use "L" to slow if needed. I recommend at least max 44psi sidewall tire pressure, but I use 50psi myself with great MPG and tire wear. Their are many other tips to improve MPG, so read some of our post in the Ford section and articles on the home page. We will be happy to respond to questions and learn how your doing.

GaryG