User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Ford Escape or Mercury mariner Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Preparing for a lower grille block

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 08 Escape Hybrid 4x4 "The Toaster"
Arrow Preparing for a lower grille block

After last week's elections, I "harvested" a rather large piece of coroplast, which I plan to create a lower grille block with. Is there anything I should look out for when doing this on an 08 Escape?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Still Learning

Vehicles: 12 Leaf SL, 07 FEH, 94 Trek 720
Re: Preparing for a lower grille block

I always make sure to monitor the FWT when the grille block is on. Most of my driving is city streets though, so I rarely exceed 172F

I'm curious, are you only blocking the bottom section of the grille? I focus on the top half of the grille to retain as much heat as possible.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran

I was planning on leaving the lower in year round. It appears that the lower grille is radiator only, and the upper grille is a/c and radiator. At this point I don't want to mess with compromising the a/c system performance. In previous vehicles that I've tried grille blocking the a/c performance had greatly suffered before the engine ever got too warm. As it gets cooler I may experiment with partially blocking the upper with clear packing tape as a temporary measure.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Well, I took the upper grille off and fitted a piece of coroplast to the lower grille. While I had the upper grille off, I also fitted a piece to the lower half of the upper grille. I have "painted" the pieces with black rubberized undercoating, and they're laying out in the sun to dry before I secure them in and put the grille back on.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius Touring (2006 HCHII still in the family)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EscapeHybrid View Post
...I have "painted" the pieces with black rubberized undercoating, and they're laying out in the sun to dry before I secure them in and put the grille back on.

Unless it dries very thoroughly it will likely be a bug magnet for the first little while
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran

I only put a layer thin enough so it looked black, not a heavy layer as if I was undercoating the car. It dried in a couple hours, and I already have it back on the car.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Here's a pic of the finished product, I just need to do a little touch up work where I drilled the holes in the plastic.

Last edited by 08EscapeHybrid : 11-18-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Older Member

Vehicles: 2009 Ford Escape & 2012 Toyota Prius c2

Looks pretty neat.. I might have to do that on my 09...

2.5L with a 6 speed AT? The lazy man's Hypermiling SUV!

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran

I had to rip them off since I dropped off the truck for some warranty service the other day. I'm scared if they notice something like this, they might void my warranty I paid $2,200 for. (I also had to put the 4wd fuse back in, LOL) I'll be giving these another touch up coat of black rubber before putting them back on this weekend. I plan to have it looking even better than the first time around.I may even remake the one for the upper grille as I'd like to try different placement of the zip ties. I also think I want to try blocking off the upper portion of the upper grille, as I think the a/c performance would not be effected as much as blocking the lower portion of the upper grille.