User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Smart

Smart Open your mind - Discussion about Smart and the Smart ForTwo.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Looking for something smart, and quirky.

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Mentalcase

Vehicles: 1986 Humanoid w/ Rockport boots. Slightly sluggish.
Looking for something smart, and quirky.

Since my CR-Z is now gone, I'm without a vehicle. So since I no longer have to instruct people on how to drive anymore, I can go back to buying cheap, quirky cars for a bit of fun, and maximum economy. Thus, I'm thinking of buying a smart cdi.

I checked out smartzuuk's site, with many smart articles and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I have a few questions though before I decide to buy a used smart fortwo, and those would be;

1) What are the common problems associated with the smart, what usually fails, how often does it have its time of the month and so on. (C'mon guys, you know what I mean :P)

2) How do they handle on the highway? Do they get knocked about, and do they struggle to maintain speeds between 50 to 70mph?

3) How cheap are parts, and how common are they to come by? All repairs I would do myself anyways, I hate taking cars into the stealers. Besides, with a car that small, i could probably lift it.

4) I live in a land of many, many hills. How will it handle them?

5) How cheap are the plastic body panels anyways?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Vehicles: Me - 2002 smart fortwo; Wife - 2004 Renault Clio 1.2
Re: Looking for something smart, and quirky.

I can help with some of your questions, although my smart is a couple of generations old - built in 2002.

1. I've had a few problems with mine, but nothing that couldn't be sorted out eventually. No idea whether my experience is typical though. Your best bet is to check out www.evilution.co.uk and www.fq101.co.uk - two UK-based smart enthusiast websites with loads of info on fortwos and roadsters.

2. Mine is pretty uncomfortable on the highway. The short wheelbase and tall stance mean that it gets unsettled by crosswinds, passing trucks, and unevenness of the road surface. I believe the new ones are better with their longer wheelbase and softer suspension, but I'd definitely recommend a short run on the highway to see if you'd be comfortable with it. Or just avoid the highway and stick to ~50mph on back roads - my smart is excellent in those conditions. Speed wise, it'll keep up with the traffic, but it's definitely not fast (mine is petrol - not sure how the diesel is on the highway).

3. I believe UK is a good place to be when it comes to smart parts. You can get them from the dealer or some independent places. Check out the abovementioned websites for leads.

4. Hills are no problem in my petrol smart. Diesel - who knows? I'm sure you'll get to the top eventually.

5. No experience with body panels.

Hope this helps,
-Simon
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 AM

I would have to agree with Smart Za on highway travel, not really great in the smart even with the newer model, which is why i ended up trading in for the Insight. I have not had any repairs, but only 14k on the clock. I did do a panel change, paid 550 for the panels shipped (used but in great condition) and sold my panels for 450 (they paid for shippingh). Changing the panels my first time was a full day and I would not want to do it again. Not sure what price or other changes there are for the older smart, but if you check the local forum like Smart Za mentioned, there is quite a bit of information available from people who have done panel changes as well as know issues with the car.

Gabe

#4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Mentalcase

Well I did a test drive today of one of the new smarts. And whilst I eeked out a decent 89mpgUK during the test drive, I didn't exactly fall in love with it. Its a brilliant little car, but the missus has veto'd getting it. Since I want something small, decided to go for the diesel Toyota Yaris (Echo) 3 door hatchback on somewhere around a 2002 plate. Pretty good value if I were to get one at only around 2,000 - 2,500 GBP. Pretty good compromise considering shes wanting a big bloody Vauxhall Vectra Estate.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

We've an Irish member with one of those IIRC.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

username vtec-e, maybe? I think you're right.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Correct — his name is Ollie. Might want to contact him for impressions?

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Mentalcase

A local used car dealer has one that I'm going to take a look at on Monday, with my trusted torch in hand, so I'll find out for myself. From reviews I've read online, I'm already getting some positive impressions of it.

Ideally, I'd just get the Civic diesel, but I don't want to put down that kind of money when I'm planning a move to the US in a few years and wanting to save my money. Of course the other half isn't all that warm on the move to the US since she wants to be a lawyer here. Another fight I'll end up loosing most likely haha.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
smart car dummy

Vehicles: smart cdi cabriolet, Mercedes-Benz B 200, Peugeot 404 Coupι Injection

Ah too bad, the smart cdi is fun and has some known issues, like any car. With a convertible top and wide tires and wheels, it's a potent combination of fun and (still) massive fuel economy.
Peugeot 404 Coupι Injection
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Smart Fortwo, Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4,Suzuki SX-4, Fiat 500 sport

Yaris diesel, civic diesel, smart diesel..ARGGGHHHHHHH

I HATE THE EPA!!!!!!!!!!