User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » General

General General CleanMPG related topic discussion.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

How many miles before you change your tires?

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 PM

How many miles before you change your tires?

Just wondering how long your vehicle's tires last and what the tread depth was before replacement.

Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
DWL Lover

Vehicles: Honda Accord
Re: How many miles before you change your tires?

At the time I could only afford cheap tires, so I got 40k mile tires. I am at about 37k miles with about half the tread left. I do plan to buy a new set in the next few months, store them, then when the tires I have on now are too low put on the new ones.

(It is a little complicated, I know, but it makes good financial sense to my situation.)

Quote:
Forget driving like a normal person, I would much rather drive like a sane person.

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3, M5), 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 (4.7 FFV, 5A)

I completely depends on the tires and the vehicle, but...

The original tires on my Ranger were 40K mile tires, and I swapped them out at 80K miles.

They were still just above the wear markers.

The CleanMPG Fuel Economy Challenge
The competition: fierce
The ones scared: gas merchants.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

60k on the Ody, but they were poorly treated by the previous owners for half of that.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Still Learning

Vehicles: 12 Leaf SL, 07 FEH, 94 Trek 720

45k currently on the OEMs and no real slippage so far this winter, so no plans to replace them.

So does anyone actually do the tread measurement to decide when it is time to get news ones and how do you go about doing that? Do you need any special tools?
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Beat the System

Mine were nearly down to the wear bars in the front. I decided to go ahead and change them since winter was coming on. In summer I would have gone a bit longer.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Still Learning

Vehicles: 12 Leaf SL, 07 FEH, 94 Trek 720

OK Andrew, get a little simpler for the simpleton. What are wear bars?
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Beat the System

The orange highlighted part. They're in there to show when the tread depth reaches the legal limit. If the bars are starting to wear, and are no longer deeper than the main tread, you really need to replace the tires. Some will say you are overdue by this point, and they may be right - traction degrades as tread wears, starting from day 1.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

Using pocket change, you can measure basic tread depth. I have a tread depth gauge (about $2 from the auto store), but coins work well enough for rough guesstimates.

2/32" - legal minimum - Insert a penny upside down into one of the wide treads in the tire. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head, you're below the minimum.

4/32" - minimum if driven in heavy rain - Insert a quarter upside down into one of the wide treads in the tire. If you can see the top of Washington's head, the car will be very susceptible to hydroplaning.

6/32" - minumum if driven in snow - Insert a penny upside down into one of the wide treads in the tire. If you can see the top of the Lincoln Memorial, you're below the minimum for good snow traction.

I have replaced tires in as little as 20k miles, and the average is usually about 60k miles. The winner, though, is a car I traded in at almost 170k miles that still had the original rear tires installed, and they had plenty of tread life left on them. The fronts wore out at about 60k mile intervals, with the swap-out done at 4/32 tread depth.

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
doesn't wash his car.

Lincoln method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLJf-6zS4E