Fuel efficient and feature loaded R 1200 R.
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
- Sept. 9, 2009
2009 BMW R 1200 R - $12,620 to start and 57 mpgUS at 56 mph -- “Touring Special” package pricing TBA.
The BMW R 1200 R is a traditional roadster with a history reaching back decades. The 109 HP Roadster with its flat twin “Boxer” series ICE offers superb riding dynamics, agility and classic motorcycle design.
BMW Motorrad is now going a step further still with the “Touring Special”, enhancing the R 1200 R in terms of comfort and travel/touring suitability, as well as providing a visual upgrade.
The R 1200 R Touring Special now includes as standard equipment BMW’s excellent on-board computer, heated grips and a main stand.
The R 1200 R meets touring/travel demands with a new comfort seat available with this package. In the standard version, the seat height is 31.5” whereas taller riders can order the high comfort seat with height of 32.6”.
The Sport windshield ensures protection for the upper body over longer stretches.
For carrying luggage the “Touring Special” includes two 32L common locking panniers and a luggage rack.
A special touch is also added by the chrome exhaust system and the LED direction indicators.
R 1200 R “Touring Special” package
- Air-cooled 2-cylinder flat twin engine with 1170 cc capacity and balancing shaft.
- Output of 109 HP at 7,500 rpm.
- Maximum torque of 85 Lb-Ft. @ 6,000 rpm.
- Electronic engine management BMS-K with dual ignition, knock control, oxygen sensor and closed-loop three-way catalytic converter.
- Light and stable, two-section frame construction made of steel tubing.
- Rigid Telelever with sensitive response and a high degree of steering precision.
- EVO Paralever with light universal drive.
- Electronic spring strut adjustment ESA on request.
- New BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (optional extra).
- Automatic Stability Control ASC (only in conjunction with Integral ABS; optional extra).
- Dynamic, modern and yet timeless design.
- New comfort seat or high comfort seat.
- On-board computer.
- Heated grips.
- Main stand.
- LED direction indicators.
- Chrome exhaust system.
- Sport windshield.
- Large pannier fastenings, including luggage rack and pillion passenger grab handles.
- Common locking panniers.