User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Michigan advanced battery maker Cobasys on edge of bankruptcy

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT
Michigan advanced battery maker Cobasys on edge of bankruptcy

"There is no assurance that Cobasys' existing customer funding support will continue."

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Cobasys_Battery_Pack.jpg
Sven Gustafson - Michigan Business Review - May 20, 2009

Might this mean we could finally get those batteries we've been asking for?? --Ed.

An advanced battery manufacturer that previously featured in the Michigan's "Upper Hand" economic development advertising campaign appears to be teetering on the verge of bankruptcy.

Cobasys LLC, based in Oakland County's Orion Township, was one of the early pioneers of nickel-metal hydride battery technology. Its batteries power gas-electric hybrid versions of the Saturn Aura and Vue and the Chevrolet Malibu.

But it has spent the past 20 months trying to sort through a product recall, a lawsuit by German carmaker Daimler AG and a long-simmering disagreement over funding between its corporate parents.

Now, the company appears to be further adrift after General Motors, once said to be mulling an acquisition of the battery maker, reportedly no longer is considering a purchase and Cobasys has apparently retained bankruptcy counsel.

The latest news comes from a May 11 regulatory filing made by Rochester Hills-based Energy Conversion Devices Inc. [Nasdaq:ENER], Cobasys' parent owner along with Houston-based Chevron Technology Ventures LLC.

Neither Cobasys nor Chevron returned messages left seeking comment.

The battery maker has been caught in funding limbo since September 2007, when Chevron Technology Ventures filed arbitration claims against ECD's Ovonic Battery Corp. subsidiary. Chevron asserted damages totaling $162 million and other relief, alleging among other things that the alternative energy company withheld funding for Cobasys.

The two sides suspended arbitration in February 2008 to pursue a sale to GM, ECD said in its quarterly earnings report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

But the automaker in March of this year notified ECD and Chevron it would not purchase Cobasys and "began to curtail its funding support," according to the filing. A GM spokeswoman did not return calls seeking confirmation, but... [Read More]
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII
Re: Michigan advanced battery maker Cobasys on edge of bankruptcy

Their ads have played a lot on EcoModder.

I know some will shed crocodile tears if GM or Chrysler goes into oblivion, but I'd really hate to see Cobasys bitting the dust.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Vehicles: 2006 HCH II w/ Navi, 2010 Honda Insight II EX w/Navi

Isn't their product of exceptionally poor quality? The Cobyasis batteries were responsible for the failure to deliver GM hybrids for the majority of the last model year, if I remember correctly. It will be unfortunate to see them go, but if Coby is replaced or purchased by a manufacturer with more reputable quality, it will be worth it.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 04 prius

If I recall right it's Cobasys units that are in the Rav4-EV,
many of which are still on the road with undiminished original
battery capacity. You know, the large-format NiMH that nobody
can get anymore.
If the numbnuts ever clued in on selling direct to the public
and the EV enthusiast market, they might have survived. Back room
deals aren't the only way to turn a profit, and they really owe
it to the electric-propulsion community after squatting on those
stupid patents prohibiting anybody from competing with them all
those years.
I have *no* sympathy for those clowns. They blew it, they go down.
_H*
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Actually, those are Panasonic units (IIRC), and they were sued by Cobasys to stop production.

I really hope this causes a release of patent restraints in the near future.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Tell AAA, Saving gas saves America!

Vehicles: Camry CE w/ 5 spd manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrider View Post
Isn't their product of exceptionally poor quality? The Cobyasis batteries were responsible for the failure to deliver GM hybrids for the majority of the last model year, if I remember correctly. It will be unfortunate to see them go, but if Coby is replaced or purchased by a manufacturer with more reputable quality, it will be worth it.
If that's true, and I'm not sure that it is, that would be regrettable. Cobasys, formerly Ovonics, was the company that made the NiMH batteries that went into the GM EV-1 and extended its range from 60 miles to 90-110 miles on a charge. The batteries were used in the Saturn Aura but what problems I am aware of were production and supply problems. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Chevron was using Cobasys as a cash cow while putting back in enough for it to barely survive.

The battery maker has been caught in funding limbo since September 2007, when Chevron Technology Ventures filed arbitration claims against ECD's Ovonic Battery Corp. subsidiary. Chevron asserted damages totaling $162 million and other relief, alleging among other things that the alternative energy company withheld funding for Cobasys.

If this is true I would be, "Shocked! Shocked," to find that an oil company would kill the only battery company capable of supplying EVs with fully capable, reliable, real world tested batteries.

Stan Ovshinksy seems like a nice guy too. He invented those batteries and its a damn shame that GM's short term thinking and Chevron's neglect killed one of the few heroes in the EV documentary, "Who Killed the Electric Car."

As for the Rav 4, those batteries were Panasonic NiMH batteries but Cobasys sued Panasonic and it was, apparently, successful because Panasonic stopped making them.

In 2014 the NiMH patent expires and any company that wants to can make them. Some companies like Nilar have been making NiMhs they claim are suitable for EVs but the energy density is laughable in comparison to Cobasys NiMH batteries.

Last edited by Radio_tec : 05-23-2009 at 11:56 PM.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

I Am Not A Lawyer, but if I understand patent law correctly, they can develop and make them, just not sell them. That means that the day after the patent expires, they could have an inventory ready to be released. I relish that thought.