23-years and 5-million vehicles later...
Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
– April 28, 2009
The Canadian Civic achieved all-time record annual sales of 72,463 units in 2008 making it the top-selling vehicle, including all vehicles (both cars and trucks) in Canada. The Civic remained Canada's top-selling passenger car for the 11th consecutive year.
Toronto, Canada - Honda commemorated the 5 millionth vehicle made in Canada at its Honda of Canada Mfg. vehicle manufacturing facility in Alliston, Ontario. This milestone reflects Honda’s commitment to Canada since it began manufacturing vehicles in the country 23 years ago.
The 5 millionth vehicle built – a 2009 Honda Civic sedan – was presented by Honda President and CEO, Mr. Manabu Nishimae, to the Province of Ontario in a ceremony held at Queen’s Park. Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty received the keys to the new Civic of behalf of the Province of Ontario and, in turn, presented the car to Pamela Fuselli, executive director of Safe Kids Canada.
“This is a significant accomplishment for Honda in Canada,” said Manabu Nishimae, president and chief executive officer of Honda Canada Inc. ”In 1986, we built the first of three factories in Alliston, based on our company’s philosophy to build our products close to our customers. Honda continues to invest its profits back into Canada as we strive to be a company that Canadians will want to exist. We are also committed to the manufacturing of green, safe, fun vehicles. Our donation to the Province, and to Safe Kids Canada is a reflection of this pledge to our Canadian consumers and to consumer safety.”
"Honda has been a major contributor to Ontario and Canada's economy for forty years," said Premier McGuinty. "We are honored by Honda's gift of its 5 millionth vehicle to the Province of Ontario, and to one of our local charities, from a company that has become part of the Canadian manufacturing landscape."
Honda of Canada at a glance
- In 2008, Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) was Canada's second largest manufacturer of combined cars and light trucks.
- Honda employs more than more than 5,000 Honda Canada Associates coast-to-coast, and provides employment to more than 21,000 Canadians through manufacturing, sales offices, and dealerships across the country.
- Up to 390,000 Honda and Acura vehicles a year are built at the two HCM vehicle manufacturing plants in Alliston, Ontario, including the Honda Civic, Acura CSX and MDX. A third plant began producing fuel-efficient 4-cylinder vehicle engines last September with an annual capacity of 200,000 units.
- Honda Canada Inc. sells more than 170,000 passenger cars and light-duty trucks in Canada. The company was the first Japanese company to start production in Canada, where it manufactures the Honda Civic - Canada's top-selling car for the past 11 years.
- The Honda Canada Foundation and its corporate entities provide annual funding to registered non-profit charities across Canada in support of safety, education, engineering and sustaining of the environment for [children and] youth.
Now in its 40th years of operations in Canada, Honda Canada Inc. has sold more than 3,200,000 Honda and Acura passenger cars and light-duty trucks. Nearly half of all Honda and Acura vehicles sold in Canada in 2008 were made in Canada - a higher percentage than any other Canadian vehicle manufacturer.