User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 PM

Re: Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

I have read that water injection works well for removing carbon deposits. Might be something to try first.

I wish I was more skinny like Allie Moore... for more MPGs!
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Vehicles: RAV4

That reminds me... I find it quite convenient that they choose to unveil this right before Summer gas comes out.

Click Me for Log ^^^

Best tank yet:
  #13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 AM

Post Re: Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

Chevron Techron (Techroline) has long been considered the top cleaning additive in the industry. It remains to see if this Shell nitrogen is any better or at least matches Techron.

NOTE YOU HAVE TO GET PREMIUM GRADE TO GET HIGHER AMOUNTS OF NITROGEN CLEANER. That info is on Shell's own website. Chevron has the same level of cleaner in ALL grades.
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM

I went to local Walmart today and they said they do fuel injector's cleaning for $20. Seems like a good value. I will get this done and then add a bottle of techron on top.
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM

How do you know if you need to clean out the fuel injectors?

#16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Unless the vehicle has around a 100,000 miles or so, I would not consider paying extra for it and then it would not be at a gas station.
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius Touring (2006 HCHII still in the family)

I suspect you never really need to do a cleaning regimen, and that it's not that effective. I do know from walking by a local place that does cleaning service: it pumps a lot of junk into the air.
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM

Vehicles: 1984 BMW 533i, 2005 Chrysler Town & Country

I use fuel injection cleaning equipment in the shop I work at, and have seen allot of different ones over the years - most little more than snake oil at best. The new stuff I'm using is a product from 3M only available commercially and for use in this equipment set only - it seems to work rather well. I performed a FI service on a car that was going to have the cylinder head removed for my own curiosity, and while I couldn't inspect the injectors, you could practically eat off the combustion chamber after the service. IMO, it can be worthwhile to do the big service but maybe only every 75-100,000 miles.

For straight into the tank stuff, I think the best stuff I've ever seen was a product called BG 44k - tough to find and expensive but seems to really do a good job. But Techron is really great stuff too, I use it at work (its packaged for BMW and MINI but it's techron nonetheless).

#19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM

How about acetone? I've heard it works well as a fuel injector cleaner, hence the supposed mileage gains it provides--at least for a first few tanks.

I was forced to fill up at Shell on Friday, because the Mobil that is 0.8 miles from my house ran out of gas. Now it will take a tank to get accurate mileage readings again. I had to increase my offset in my SG-II quite a bit. I'll see if this gas has any effect on FE. I just hope that my ECU does not learn to make the IAC idle at 900 RPM again. I'm tired of resetting it every tank.
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Vehicles: 05 Toyota Corolla

I'd go with Exxon or Shell. I get the best MPG with Exxon. the next is Shell. BUT, That is what I get. A friend of mine usesnothing but Gulf gas and he gets great MPG with that.