User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Honda

Honda The Power of Dreams - Discussion about Honda and Honda automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

How to maintain A Honda Accord for maxium Fuel Economy--Advice Much Needed!

Tags: , , , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Vehicles: 1993 Honda Accord DX
How to maintain A Honda Accord for maxium Fuel Economy--Advice Much Needed!

Hello Everyone,

Recently, I've come into owning a 1993 Honda Accord DX.

With the great hypermiling techniques everyone's been sharing here at this wonderful site, I've been able to get around 35.1 mpg despite the 2008 EPA estimate being 22 mpg.

However, I feel strongly I can do much better, like you all easily have. Here's where I really need help;

My parents and I have decided to take the car to our mechanic in town for a tune up. Now what exactly should I ask the mechanic to check, repair, or replace that would result in assisting me in preserving or hopefully attaining a higher or healthy fuel economy.

Here's what I know to ask to get done;

Replace Filthy Air Filter

Rotate/Align Tires

Install Engine Block heater

Replace transmission fluid

Replace/Check Engine Oil with lowest viscosity synthetic oil allowed.

So, what else should I ask to get checked, repaired, replaced or looked at in order to improve my economy while getting my engine tuned up while at the mechanic?

Please post soon! My Accord's appointment is creeping up soon!
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: How to maintain A Honda Accord for maxium Fuel Economy--Advice Much Needed!

Welcome to CleanMPG Pierce!

I hope you have enjoyed what you've seen so far. 35.1 mpg is pretty good for a car of that age. What engine size and transmission do you have in that? If its a 4 cyl auto, then you're doing great.

Its great that you're being proactive in maintaining your car, all of the things you mentioned have the potential to help your mileage, however your mechanic might not have access to a block heater for your vehicle depending on where you're located. If you're not in Canada or the northern US, your mechanic might not know where to find one, and even if he can, he may try to talk you out of it. It will certainly save you fuel and reduce your emissions, but the economic payback is harder to justify.

Also, depending on the mechanic, he may tell you that in an older car, synthetic oil is a bad idea if the car's had conventional all its life. I can't argue with that since I'm not an engine oil expert, but again, its your car and you should work with your mechanic. Also be sure to replace the oil filter with a good quality synthetic media filter, not a cheap Fram POS.

It sounds like you've covered the basics already, but perhaps someone more mechanically knowledgeable can chime in with something else more in depth.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicles: 99 Elantra, 06 Sedona, 05 Prius Pkg BC

The car should have a manual stating the intervals to check/change fluids and such. If it's not been done, you should really have the valves adjusted every... 30k? 60k? I forget. I had a 93 EX at one time with a stick. Sadly, it was sold to pick up a 4x4 Escape. I'd also look at replacing the O2 sensor as well, but it would depend on the mileage.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Check the timing belt. If it hasn't been replaced, it's due. My civic's manual calls for replacing it every 90,000 miles. If it fails, bad things can happen.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Insight 5MT, 2004 Toyota Prius

Once again, here is the short list...

Spark plugs
Plug wires
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor

Verify brakes not dragging at all
Proper alignment
Parking brake properly adjusted
Wheel bearings in good condition
Tires in good condition / properly (over)inflated

That should just about take care of the basics.

Best commute: 108.1mpg in / 99.7 mpg out

Best tank: 1034 mi / 86.7 mpg per FCD

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Vehicles: 99 Elantra, 06 Sedona, 05 Prius Pkg BC

There was no distributor in the 93? It was a coil pack setup, if memory serves.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
DWL Lover

Vehicles: Honda Accord

I have recently gotten a '96 Accord Anniv edition (one generation after yours). The car does do good for hypermiling. I have only been able to get 34 MPG because my fiancι drives the car too. Is your Accord an auto or manual transmission. If its an auto you're doing better than me.

Quote:
Forget driving like a normal person, I would much rather drive like a sane person.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome and quick replies. I'm definitely going stick around here. I thought I'd never get so much good information so rapidly.

For the record, here's my car;

A 1993 Honda Accord DX. And yes, it's an automatic 4 cyl. Oddly, however it was around 70k miles, and was gently used according to a private mechanic we showed it to secretly during our test drive. It is my first car ever, and I'm a new driver. I'm 18. I do live in New Jersey. I REALLY wanted a manual transmission (especially for max. MPG!), however my father, who is a strict manual transmission driver for over 40 years didn't think I was quite ready yet for an MT. Sigh.

Today, new tires were purchased for the Accord and installed. Now for hypermiling purposes, what should I inflate these tires to? They read 35 psi, however, I'm worried this might harm my tires. Should I worry? Also the new tires, which are Michelin Rainforce All Season MX4's, that we've replaced the older tires with good in the rolling resistance department?

Citrus,

How do you feel about the electric oil heaters that contain heating elements and replace the dip stick? Will those in improve my inital mpg with temperature lower than 40F? (Or around?)

And Shifty, should I ask to replace the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and distributor cap outright? (Can I actually do this my self?) What type of these products should, I, person who wants to hypermile extremely well, ask for? (Ex: A hypermiler prefers the lowest vescosity version of synthetic motor oil as opposed to non-synthetic standard thickness motor oil.)Why is it important to keep the Parking brake properly adjusted, wheel bearings in good condition for mpg?

Damionk,

What exactly do you mean by "good for hypermiling"? Does this mean that the car can attain a high MPG rating? Or this car can easily can exceede the EPA estimate compared to other cars?

What does mean when the breaks "drag"?
Why is it important to keep the Parking brake properly adjusted, wheel bearings in good condition for mpg?

My parents said they will replace the timiong belt. However, will it's replacement help improve mpg?

Finally, do we need to cover anything else in terms of keeping the Accord in shape for maximum FE?

I really want to keep this car in the best condition possible, inside and out. Thanks for everyone for helping me coast down this "new road" in my life.

Last edited by Pierce : 09-08-2008 at 04:18 PM.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Also, here's my hypermiling goal.

Here's where I'm currently at:

35 MPG. However my car isn't tuned up and is going to the local Mechanic Soon. I also do not use the A/C or electrical devices such as the radio or speakers what so ever.

I do find the automatic transmission to be both a blessing and curse. Since I accelerate extremely slowly after I allow the car "move itself" in a non-nuetral fashion, I can "coax" the AT into shifting gears up until I reach 4th gear at my optimum speed 40 mph at 1500 rmp. (Lower RPM at highest gear=Best MPG correct?)

Since my commute to my community college is a total of 32.4 miles (round trip) and is 97% highway based, with little traffic lights I find it easier to maintain higher than average mpg. While driving 40 mph in 4th gear at 1500 RPM. Virtually, the entire trip is based on just on 31 miles of straight highway roads with a posted speedlimit of 55~50 mph.

My goal is to reach this two days:

46~47 MPG in the 93' Accord.

My logic?

On Friday, I bought 2.9 gallons of gas for $10, when my take was bare.

This filled my gas guage up to the half full line. After my commute (32.4 mi), I only had 75% of the gas left. This monday evening I have only 50% of the gas left (Current gas guage picture right above.). Hopefully if this trend cotinues, I'll get to "E" on Wednesday after communting a total of around 129.6 miles on 2.9 gallons. Again I say, hopefully.

Any advice for my plan?
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2012 MINI Cooper

Brakes "dragging" mean that the pads are rubbing a little bit against the rotors. It's like applying the brakes just a little tiny bit all of the time--or most of the time. You can imagine that even the smallest amount of that isn't good for your FE.

Wheel bearings that are in poor shape will also put some drag on the wheels, almost as if you were applying the brakes the tiniest amount. Still not great for FE.

A new or old timing belt "should" not change the amount of drag on the engine. However, having one break will result in either an engine that doesn't run at all, or an engine with mashed and mangled valves. (Not sure which of those two states the Accord engine is more likely to wind up in; my CRX would have mangled valves or worse.)

It sounds like the basics have all been covered above. If you're getting new tires, look to see if you can get ones with low rolling resistance. There is a list available somewhere here on the site that shows some relatively LRR tires, though it is a little bit old now.

-soD