User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Start Your Journey Here

Start Your Journey Here Introductions and post the details of your vehicle and commute here. The experts will help get you up to speed by simplifying a lot of the techniques and helping you apply them to your specific situation.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

2001 Civic averaging 42 mpg without hypermiling

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
2001 honda civic

Vehicles: 2001 Honda Civic EX 2DR
2001 Civic averaging 42 mpg without hypermiling

I am new to this site and I am looking forward to trying some of the hypermiling techniques! I am driving a 2001 Civic 2DR EX 5SP and have been AVERAGING 42mpg and excess of 475 miles on a tank of gas! AND THIS CAR HAS 170,000+ MILES ON IT!!! I travel 110 miles round-trip to work everyday, most of which is highway(65mph). I am trying to achieve an average of 50mpg which is proving difficult because of the highway speeds I travel. I generally drive within 1 mph of the speed limit(65) on the highway to avoid getting run over. If they lowered the speed limit to 55 I am sure 50 mpg would be easier to achieve. I am inspired by the mileage that other people are getting on this site with similar vehicles.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I want my MPG!

Vehicles: 13 Prius, 06 Ranger
Re: 2001 Civic averaging 42 mpg without hypermiling

Howdy pardner, welcome to the clean mpg forums!
You have a good start! That is about what I was getting with my mitsubishi when I found this site a couple of months ago, now I am edging closer to 50 with no plans to stop there HM works, mine is even older, 1991.
I hear ya about going under the speed limit, it made me a little nervous too, but as long as you are easy to see, they are not going to run you over. No matter how much of a rush they are in they dont want to be in a wreck.
Just stick to the far right side of the right lane and watch your mirrors, if someone looks like he is coming in way to quickly, you can always pull off onto the shoulder and let em by.

MTs Outdoors Images
http://mtoutdoorspics.blogspot.com
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Skinny Pidgeon

Vehicles: 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT bucket View Post
Just stick to the far right side of the right lane and watch your mirrors, if someone looks like he is coming in way to quickly, you can always pull off onto the shoulder and let em by.
Be careful either way. I've had a guy pass my on the shoulder, "racing" another car. I had no intentions of yielding onto the shoulder though.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

With the short gear ratios on those EX's, slowing down or using P&G will help you a bunch. The engine is burning lots of fuel just to keep itself turning so fast.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM

Vehicles: 1994 Olds Cutlass Sup. AT

Sounds like you're on your way to 50+ mpg, you'll be there in no time if you follow the techniques found here. I know that "going with the flow" to avoid being run over is tempting, but you'll be amazed at how willing people are to go around you. Be sure to ride that right side of the right-most lane (ridge riding) so that you stand out visually and cars coming up quickly can pass you sooner.

Other than that, keep up the good work, if you haven't already, be sure to read the "Beating the EPA..." article.

Good luck

New Car

~Matt
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-30-2008, 02:02 PM
2001 honda civic

Vehicles: 2001 Honda Civic EX 2DR

I now have the ScanGaugeII and have been driving with some of the HM techniques and am getting 44.2mpg. It would be great if Honda put a 6th gear in these cars. I was putting the car in nuetral and coasting until i got the scangauge and realized that it uses more gas than letting off the acc pedal and coasting. The fuel injectors shut off when coasting in gear, but are on when coasting in nuetral to keep the engine running. Have to see if i can improve my mpg even more now that I know this. Load driving seems to help alot also! 50mpg may be reachable!
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX

No no you don't want to leave the car in gear and let off of the gas because you won't coast as far as you would with it in neutral.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM

what is Load driving.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Detectorguy:

It is maintaining the engine at an efficient LOD vs. a particular speed. Usually 72 to 85% with a Scangauge-II depending on the vehicle. Some higher and more at altitude.

You can mimic the technique somewhat by holding the accelerator pedal steady (no movement) when you climb an overpass. You will find your speed droops a little and on the back side, allow gravity to accelerate you back to the same speed you were at. This is all done without ever moving the accelerator pedal.

I hope that helps.

Wayne
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Vehicles: 2012 hyundai accent 5 door hatchback,1999 ford ranger xlt auto 3.0l

detectorguy, you need to hook up with palemelanesian! hes the king of honda civics with manual tranny! email him and im sure after a week or so you'll be over 50mpgs easily!