User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluation

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluation

BEV_deliveries are scheduled for late fall of 2008.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2009_Mitsubishi_iMIEV_in_NY_City.jpg
Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 7, 2008

2009 Mitsubishi’s iMiEV BEV in NY City earlier this year.

Tokyo -- Mitsubishi, Southern California Edison (SCE) and Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) have forged a unique collaboration for testing and evaluation of the new iMiEV battery electric vehicle (BEV).

Extensive iMiEV testing has been conducted over the past two years with seven major utility companies in Japan. The success of these programs quickened the pace and prompted Mitsubishi Motors to begin selling the BEV in the Japan market in summer of 2009.

Mitsubishi

"The small, four-passenger Mitsubishi iMiEV’s will enter into SCE's nationally-recognized prototype testing and evaluation program,” said Tohru Hashimoto, Corporate General Manager of the iMiEV Business Promotion Office of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. “This collaboration with one of the nation's leading utility supporters of BEV’s will provide us technical feedback on iMiEV vehicle and battery performance, as well as vehicle connection and integration into the electrical system."

Southern California Edison

The rise in interest in BEV’s and other alternative-fuel propulsion systems is dramatically reshaping the way automakers and utility companies think about transportation. Through this program, SCE hopes to help Mitsubishi gauge how electric vehicles will most effectively connect to the smart grid of the future and the next generation Edison SmartConnect™ advanced meters. In addition, the collaboration may explore future requirements for vehicle communication and connection, helping enable new customer values associated with home energy management and control.

"Southern California Edison has more than 20 years and 16 million EV miles of experience operating the nation's largest private fleet of electric vehicles," said Edward Kjaer, SCE's director of electric transportation. "This new EV collaboration with Mitsubishi complements SCE's existing work on plug-in hybrids and next-generation advanced batteries and their effective connection and control by Edison's next-generation meters."

Pacific Gas and Electric

Through daily use, PG&E will gauge the viability of utilizing all-electric vehicles in its operations and further understand the impact of charging electric vehicles on the electric grid. The testing will provide PG&E and Mitsubishi Motors with vehicle usage data, which will be used to publicly demonstrate and validate the many benefits of dedicated electric vehicles within the California market.

"PG&E has been researching the benefits of electric vehicles since the nineties. Partnering with automakers like Mitsubishi is vital to developing compatible infrastructures to support electric vehicles in the marketplace and ensure responsible integration with the grid," said Andrew Tang, senior director of smart energy web for PG&E. "By working with Mitsubishi, we will both benefit from a free exchange of electric vehicle information that includes charging infrastructure availability, vehicle data, vehicle commercialization expectations and public feedback."

The iMiEV BEV, which is based on Mitsubishi's "i" gasoline-powered mini car on sale in Japan, adapts a zero-emissions state-of-the-art electric drivetrain. A durable 330-volt lithium-ion battery system is located under the floor deck and powers a permanent magnet electric motor. With this packaging, the iMiEV is able to offer the same level of interior utility and space as the gasoline version while lowering the center of gravity for more stable handling. The 47 kW electric motor offers improved performance and quicker acceleration than the 64-hp gasoline version.

The advanced lithium-ion battery is developed by the Mitsubishi Motors, Mitsubishi Corporation, GS Yuasa joint venture company and Lithium Energy Japan. LEJ represents the leading edge in battery technology and promises up to *100 miles of zero-emissions, economical driving on a single charge when packaged in the iMiEV.

* 100 miles on the Japan 10-15 Mode Cycle equates to possibly 60 miles on the 08 EPA test cycles.
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Vehicles: '09 Nissan Versa
Re: Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluatio

these articles always make me kind of angry. why the heck can't <insert North American car company here> do something like this?
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Re: Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluatio

Hi DocOc:

___Because the big 2.5 still believe the future of transportation involves a gasoline pump. Let me pull some quotes if I can find them…

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Hi DocOc:

___Here is the first one…

“We believe gasoline engines are, and will remain, an integral part of our future," said Nancy Gioia, Ford Motor Company director of Sustainable Mobility Technology Lab and Hybrid Vehicle Programs.

___GM sees the writing on the wall but I do not believe Ford or Chrysler’s vision can see through the Fog nearly as clearly? I have seen GM makes statements about the internal combustion engine being the engine of choice for the near future but the mindset is being turned on a dime as they continue to ready for total electrification. Just not to the same degree as the Japanese are readying is all

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Anyone know which Li chemistry they're using?

My fuel economy page
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 02:49 PM

Vehicles: '09 Nissan Versa

Thanks for the reply Wayne.
I'm just venting because the choices that we have in North America are very limited when it comes to cars. I can either buy an overpowered gasoline engine 'compact car' or an overpriced hybrid...neither of those choices is very appealing to me, but my next car will probably be a compact such as the kia rio. i would absolutely love to have the diesel civic hatchback they have in europe, or even another midsize european car like the renault megane.
EV wise, there are some like Zenn (I live about an hour out of Toronto) but the Ontario government, along with other provinces, have not declared the Zenns street-legal as of yet. And I'm pretty sure that when they do there will be quite a stampede to get one, which will bring the prices way up.
Anyways, you dont have to respond to my rant, but thanks for the article. I'm kind of hopeful now that we'll see some of this action in the next 5-10years.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Hi Dan:

___I can bet Andrew will add some detail later on this evening (our time) when he wakes up. I doubt they are A123Systems like LiFePO4 due to patent concerns and you can be sure they are not using straight LiCoO2 due to thermal runaway. Lots of work has been done on a number of chemistries but I have no idea?

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM
KiloTanked in post 153451

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

I hope you put your name on the list to get one for review by CleanMPG .

Figured since PG&E had one, we should get one for P&GE (pulse and glide experimentation).

Best commute = 14.3mi @ 114 MPG (sg2)
Best (non-trivial) tank = 1101mi @ 91.2 MPG (fcd)
MPG Centurion-Hybridfest 2007-Prius II-26mi @ 106 MPG (sg2)
Dan <11011011>
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM

Vehicles: 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK

Here are the batteries they are using, at least for the testing.

http://lithiumenergy.jp/en/products/index.html
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.OT - Auto - 2007

"Southern California Edison has more than 20 years and 16 million EV miles of experience operating the nation's largest private fleet of electric vehicles," said Edward Kjaer, SCE's director of electric transportation

Does anyone know which cars they use ? How many ?