User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Honda Civic Hybrid

Honda Civic Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HCH-II - SAHM "Super Highway Mode" (70-90 MPG)

Tags:

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius
HCH-II - SAHM "Super Highway Mode" (70-90 MPG)

Yep, you read correctly.

This mode is something I had a chance of trying on my last trip to HybridFest 2008 in Madison and may very well represent a big plus for those who do a lot of highway style driving. Coincidentally, Wayne (xcel) had a 2008 HCH-II on his hands during that same week and he was able to validate the evocation details and the results with pretty much the same conclusions. You'll find Wayne's impressions and conclusions regarding this mode on his " 2008 HCH-II for a week review Blog" thread.

So, in addition to us now having a super-highway mode for the Prius II, we are now faced with a similar mode for the HCH-II and depending on your diligence you may be able to coax anywhere from 70 MPG to 90 MPG (2.6-3.3 L/100km). Please let us know if you manage to get better and for how long you can sustain it .

And now, to formally introduce this mode ...

SAHM (Super Atkinson Highway Mode)
(you should have a Scangauge not only to evoke the mode successfully but also to keep it on for as long as possible )

How to evoke this mode :
Set the ScanGauge to display the following gauges:
IGN - Keep IGN between 30 and 36
LOD - Monitor LOD values between 40-60
MPG or LHK - optional
Mode's operational objectives:
Vehicle speed:
50-65 MPH (80-105 KM/H)
Procedure:
  • To get it into the IGN 30, one must reach a steady target speed (ie. 55-62MPH) and then ease into the 50-55 MPG range (4.3-4.6 L/100km).

NOTE:
    • SoC must be at a good 7 bars in order for this mode to become available. The presence of 1 bar or hidden regen will deny you this mode. Drive for a short while and it will quickly become available.
    • Drive steadily for several minutes after a stop in order to get this mode back.
    • The platform must be sufficiently warmed up, preferably at stage 3 or better.
  • When the FE stabilizes simply lift the foot off the accelerator ever so slightly and then gently re-apply. This will have the effect of bumping the IGN up a notch into the mid 20's. If you notice the FE you'll see yourself getting bumped into the 60's (3.6-4 L/100km)or so.
  • At this point, lift the foot off the accelerator pedal again in the same way and re-apply. This last step will bump the IGN even higher into the 30-36 range. Along with that, the FE also climbs to the 70-90 MPG range (2.6-3.3 L/100km). Now the real test begins of keeping it in this range.
Remarks:
To keep it in the second IGN bump, I monitor the LOD values since if they grow too high beyond, say 60, the IGN begins to drop... and if it drops too far then you literally fall off the SAHM mode.

Conversely, if you lighten your foot too much, the IGN climbs beyond 34 and the chances of getting kicked out of the mode also increase.
So the trick, (for me at least) is to monitor the iFCD , IGN and LOD and simply ignore the speeds. This should be pretty natural to many of us as this is basically the DWL technique.

Ignoring the speeds actually worked very well for me as I could keep this mode on even as I climbed the smaller hills. Anything moderately steep or steeper and the LOD simply grabs you and pulls you off this mode. I suspect the grade logic control has a hand here too.
Enjoy and and let us know how it works for you.

Cheers;

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)

Last edited by msantos : 12-28-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Re: HCH-II - SAHM "Super Highway Mode" (70-90 MPG)

New update:

I just got some feedback (Thanks Paul) concerning the SAHM mode that finally confirms some other observations I had noted but was not sure of a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently, there is one other important determinant that stands in the way of not only evoking this mode but also keeping it for extended periods of time: The SoC.

In the simplest of terms, the SoC must be parked at 7 bars before this mode becomes lock-able... and it is not just any 7 bars but an adequate 7 bar SoC! This can be achieved by driving at a steady speed for a while and slowly the SoC will rest at 7 bars without much trouble. Once it plateaus at this level then the mode is easier to lock in on single IGN bump.
Obviously, I was not sure about this on my last highway trip because I kept a steady SoC for the entire 731 miles of the trip. But I did notice that every time I emerged from a pit stop, locking the SAHM mode in was difficult at least until a few minutes later.

I am going to be taking the family on a 4 hour camping trip to Hecla Island next week and I intend to double check on this while having the HDS station plugged in for the duration of the trip. Unfortunately, the Scangauge cannot co-exist while the tablet is on the ODB-II port, but I should be able to not only lock the mode in but also watch the SoC from a numerical perspective which is a better confirmation of the SoC's role in this mode.

Cheers;

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2014 Prius 3 / MX 5 Miata /06 Prius.

Have you noticed any change with the ice tempretures climbing. Could this be hard on the cat. conveters and the valve system? :
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Manuel:

___The 08 HCH-II I had for a week allowed SAHM in a lot more regions than what your 06 and 07 must allow? I could enter into SAHM at basically any speed above approximately 35 mph and could hold while DWL. I could also enter it at any SoC from 4-bars on up. During one forced charging events from 4 to 6 bars, I was even able to hold it from the fifth to sixth bar! I was running 60 + in the Bridgestone Insignia’s which I think might help enter and hold SAHM easier them most even thought the car had less than 5,000 miles on the odometer.

___Below 35 mph, her RPM was in the 1,100 RPM range and I would see IG14/TPS 14 where she would hold that magic 100 mpg + range while just barely touching the throttle in the most gentle of DWL scenarios. I do not know if that helps?

___Next item. All my “in the driver seat pics” were completely unreadable. I will curse this Kodak until the day I die The next time you are out, could you have your wife take a snap of your SG-II while displaying English units from the back seat for the HCH-II review I have to start putting together? If not, I will try and get a test drive of an HCH-II from my local Honda dealer with my son in the back snapping pics of the ScanGauge showing SAHM.

___Harold, just my thoughts but there are no mis-fire events during SAHM so the CAT is not being stressed. In fact, I can almost bet it is as happy as it could ever be being fully lit and the exhaust gas flow is as small as can possibly be achieved before valve closure in EV-Glide

___Pack temps would not be involved here either because you are not drawing or filling 98% of te time you are “in the SAHM zone “

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Harold;

Not reason to worry. Under this mode, the vehicle is not only operating in a safe range of temperature and emissions wise but also on its most optimal FE range. As previously confirmed, this mode is not an anomaly but rather an implicit feature/behavior owed to the design characteristics of the power-plant.

Hi Wayne:

Quote:
___The 08 HCH-II I had for a week allowed SAHM in a lot more regions than what your 06 and 07 must allow? I could enter into SAHM at basically any speed above approximately 35 mph and could hold while DWL. I could also enter it at any SoC from 4-bars on up. During one forced charging events from 4 to 6 bars, I was even able to hold it from the fifth to sixth bar! I was running 60 + in the Bridgestone Insignia’s which I think might help enter and hold SAHM easier them most even thought the car had less than 5,000 miles on the odometer.

___Below 35 mph, her RPM was in the 1,100 RPM range and I would see IG14/TPS 14 where she would hold that magic 100 mpg + range while just barely touching the throttle in the most gentle of DWL scenarios. I do not know if that helps?
Good point, but I believe that is yet another mode altogether as the operational profile is somewhat different (as indicated by the IGN and other readings), but yet with similar iFE results. I personally confirm that engaging this low speed mode with a less than 7 bar SoC is definitely possible (as long as a forced regen routine is not under-way).

The other odd thing I did not mention is that the "higher speed mode" seems to have (and some of us managed to somewhat confirm this), is that the RPM is not always a reliable indicator of mode's presence since it may easily vary from 1500 RPM to almost 2000 RPM without changing the iFE much.

Quote:
...The next time you are out, could you have your wife take a snap of your SG-II while displaying English units from the back seat for the HCH-II review I have to start putting together?
Yes, I will certainly do that. it should be much easier now that I actually have someone to hold the camera for me.

Cheers;

MSantos

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Hi Manuel:

___Thank you!

___The IG14/TPS14 at an RPM of 1,100 is what I believe both Tarabell, RHwinger and Bear15 see quite a bit on their own daily grinds. I was looking at the pics of Tarabell’s FCD(s) and tach (I have the larger originals from when we first setup that article) and saw the same thing in the review HCH-II at the lower speeds. It is definitely not SAHM given the IGN, TPS and speeds but it sure is nice to see it once the lights and traffic has been cleared

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel View Post
___The IG14/TPS14 at an RPM of 1,100 is what I believe both Tarabell, RHwinger and Bear15 see quite a bit on their own daily grinds...
That's the one.

That particular low-speed-steady-state high FE mode is quite easy to evoke once the ICE warms up past stage 3. All you have to do is stabilize your foot after reaching the target speed and the PCM+ECU will do the rest. Around these parts we call it the "mid-3s" because when you have the iFCD displaying in metric the iFCD plants itself midway between the 0 and 6 L/100km into the 2.5 to 3.7 l/100km (65-94 MPG) FE zone. Keeping it there is also easy since all it requires is moderate steadiness on the foot .
I am also guilty of squeezing that low speed mode for all its got on a regular basis during the summer months. During the winter months its another story as the ICE+PCM barely make it past stage 2.

Cheers;

Manuel

Last edited by msantos : 07-31-2008 at 01:33 PM.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
KiloTanked in post 153451

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

So when are the Highway Tours going to begin?

12.3 gal tank, + a 0.7 gal over stuff, + 77 mpg SAHM = 1000 mile SAHM range.

Interesting!

Best commute = 14.3mi @ 114 MPG (sg2)
Best (non-trivial) tank = 1101mi @ 91.2 MPG (fcd)
MPG Centurion-Hybridfest 2007-Prius II-26mi @ 106 MPG (sg2)
Dan <11011011>
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Highway Tours? (sorry I feel like a decapitated chicken as I never heard of that before)

You mean... some kind of an FE/Distance challenge of some sort just to teach the pre-historic automotive press a thing or two about hybrids on the highway? Oh man, would I love that !!!

Cheers;

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi Dan:

___As you noted, this is one of the areas where an HCH-II can walk over a Prius-II. And it can be held up to 60 mph albeit at an ever lowering mpg as speeds climb. In any kind of stop and crawl or impediment laydened segment, I would sometimes curse the efficient girl because she wasn’t a Prius

___Manuel, why don’t you work on your Honda connections up North as the Canadian press always has some kind of cross the country challenge going on. Who better to take an HCH-II across the Continent on less than 3 tanks of fuel in the summer

___Good Luck

___Wayne