User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Guidelines for motorists who are stopped by the State Patrol

Tags: , , , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Guidelines for motorists who are stopped by the State Patrol

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG.com - February 26, 2006

Hi All:

___Although the following article is not exactly what CleanMPG’s mission is about, I felt it might be helpful for the newer drivers amongst us …

___I recently read of a hybrid driver being pulled over by the California Highway Patrol for not having the HOV lane stickers even though he did. I recently heard from a friend who panicked and attempted to evade police in his early driving days. Not only did it cost him a fortune, he totaled his car in the accident afterwards. I have friends that are EMS personnel and have seen members of their own district hit and killed by a driver evading police. There are many horrific accidents caused around the country by someone who simply panicked when being hailed to pull over by a State Trooper. Who hasn’t been pulled over or even driven past a state trooper at one point or another and felt a sense of dread let alone panic when the officers lights are lit up ... With that, I visited a Wisconsin State Patrol office a few miles to the north of me and picked up a brochure I thought was well written as to what to expect.

Wisconsin State Patrol
Guidelines for motorists who are pulled stopped by the State Patrol.

Your Rights & Responsibilities

FAQ:

State patrol officers are highly skilled professionals who are trained to treat all motorists with respect and courtesy even under difficult and dangerous conditions.

Please remember that if you are cooperative and calm, a traffic stop will be less stressful and time consuming for you. Hare are some frequently asked questions about traffic stop procedures.

Q: Why do officers shine their lights into a car when stopping someone at night?
A: As a safety precaution at night, officers need to see what is inside the car.

Q: Why do officers sit in their car so long?
A: Using advanced communications technology, officers check your driving status and vehicle registration directly form their patrol cars. However, there may be some delays in transmission. Officers also must complete information regarding the traffic stop, which takes time. Please be patient.

Q: Why do other officers show up if I’ve been stopped only for a traffic violation?
A: Officers may back each other up (even when they are not requested) as an added safety procedure and as a courtesy to fellow officers.

Q: Are officers required by law to show me the reading on a radar or laser device?
A: No. In many cases, the officer does not lock in the radar or laser reading when identifying the vehicle and tracking its speed.

Q: Why are most State Patrol cars outfitted with video cameras?
A: Video cameras are a great tool to accurately and impartially record what happens during traffic stops and other enforcement events including the actions of the officers.

Q: Do State Patrol officers have a quota for issuing citations?
A: State Patrol officers absolutely do not have a quota for issuing citations. Furthermore, the State Patrol does not receive revenue from traffic citations. Most of the revenue generated by traffic goes to the county where the citation was issued and the states common school fund. Other citation assessments and fees help finance various state and country court and legal functions.

Q: I received a traffic citation and wish to contest it. What should I do?
A: You should follow the instructions listed on the citation. The State Patrol cannot reduce the forfeiture amount, lower the demerit, or dismiss the citation once it is issued.

Law Enforcement Profiling

“Profiling” by law enforcement officers means stopping motorists based on their race, color, or ethnicity instead of any observed violation of the law. The Wisconsin State Patrol does not tolerate racial profiling. It is against the law.

Through effective selection, education and training of its officers, the State Patrol has earned the trust of the citizens we serve regardless of their race, color, or ethnicity. To maintain our high standards of fairness and professionalism, the State Patrol is vigilant in preventing any form of racial profiling.

If you sincerely believe that you have been treated unfairly by a State Patrol officer because of your race, color, or ethnicity:
  • You may contact the State Patrol district office listed on the back of this pamphlet. Please contact the district office as soon as possible after the stop.
  • You should retain any documents you have been issued and give a detailed statement of your concerns to the district office.
Please remember that if you make a false report, you may be charged with a crime. (s.946.66(2), Wisconsin Statutes.

The goal of the State Patrol is to improve highway safety through education, voluntary compliance, and enforcement.

Get to your destination safely …

• Make sure all occupants are buckled up at all times. Children under the age of 4 must be in a child seat.
  • Don’t drink and drive More then 40% of all fatal crashes are alcohol related. If you drink, use a designated driver.
  • Obey posted speed limits. Speeding tickets are expensive and may increase your insurance rates.
  • If you see a law enforcement or emergency services vehicle on the shoulder with its lights flashing, move over a lane on a multiple-lane road (if you can safely do so) or slow down to provide a “Safe Zone” that protects the officer or emergency services worker. On a 2-lane road, slow down to provide a “safe zone”.
  • Minimize distractions when you’re behind the wheel. Cellular phones and other devices make it hard to concentrate on driving.
Our Mission

To promote highway and public safety and to enhance the quality of life for all Wisconsin citizens and visitors by providing and supporting professional, competent and compassionate law enforcement services.

Our Vision

People serving people with dignity and respect … enhancing a quality highway safety environment.

The Wisconsin State Patrol is a division of the department of transportation.

In Memoriam:

Trooper Deborah M. McMenamin

Trooper McMenamin was killed October 26, 1989 when she was struck by a passing motorist while talking to a motorist she had stopped for a traffic violation. She had talked with the driver and was returning to her squad car when she was hit. Despite the efforts of several officers and nurses who were at the scene, Trooper McMenamin did not survive. She attended the State Patrol Academy in 1985 and started as a trooper in the Waukesha District. She later transferred to the Tomah area and then to the Eau Claire area. Trooper McMenamin was 31 years old at the time of her death. She was married (her husband is an Executive Officer in State Patrol) and had a son from a previous marriage.

Trooper William Schoenberger

Trooper Schoenberger died April 22, 1993 from head injuries sustained on April 17, 1993 when his squad car was struck from behind by a semi-tractor trailer. Trooper Schoenberger was on the scene of a car fire at the time and had positioned his car in the traffic lane to protect fire department personnel. Trooper Schoenberger joined the Wisconsin State Patrol in 1984, and spent all of his 8-1/2 years in the Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls area. At the time of his death, he was 31 years old and was married with one daughter.

___God Speed to those officers who have lost their lives during the performance of their duties …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited by xcel : 07-27-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Mazda, Honda, Ford
Re: Guidelines for motorists who are stopped by the State Patrol.

OK so thats pretty much how all law enforcment agencys approach there abliity to act like Nazi Storm Troopers in most of there contact with the public. They think there special and have laws promoteing your guilty until you prove your inocent. Try putting your video camera on them while they film you. They get really nasty real fast. They dont answer questions. And yes Ive asked for the radar spot... They claim they dont have to show you. hence,, so in the long run I havent had a ticket since 27 years of age. You have to stand up to these cops and be willing to take afew lumps. I have no love for law enforcement. I truley have no need for them. Not once have they recoverd something stolen from me. Caught anybody that has vansalized my car or home. Or tried to steal a car from me. I have friends that went into law enforcement as adults only to have to quit when the true reality of there choice came up to be a big lie. And the dead reckoning of there choice had basicly ruined there life.

If your pulled over for something you truley did wrong,,, take your pusniment and move on. I have. But if your pulled over for something you didnt do. Fight them tooth and nail and make darn sure you drag them into court.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03' Honda Civic Hybrid

I have been pulled over numerous times. I am always courtious because they are doing their job. Rarely do they give me a ticket. Maybe they feel relief that I am not going to be one of the combatative ones.

I highly recomend being courteous. It works wonders. What reason do they have to not give you a ticket if you are combatative?

Psyshack. Police aren't robots made in some secret lab. They are people doing a job and have friends and family like you and I. They just want to put in a days work and go home.

How would you feel if you were at work and a majority of your interactions with people were hostile? I think sometimes you might get a little annoyed and immediatly think the worst of them. I don't think its any different for police. So lighten up be nice to them and you might find that they can be nice back.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

I've also been pulled over a number of times, but only a couple of times they were abrasive. One time I passed a busy cop and honestly did not know he was pulling me over or that I went straight in a right turn lane. The other I was threatened with a ticket before I could say I was seeing the doctor for my vertigo - he must have assumed I was drunk.

The vast majority of the time I was clearly guilty of speeding or some other offense.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Lightbulb Re: Guidelines for motorists who are stopped by the State Patrol.

Well, here's my 2-cents;

I am taking the (Nice) way with them myself. I just try to keep in mind how I would feel if I was in their shoes. Not a very fun job/career to be in.

Anyone else been in the Military? I was an went to Viet Nam and did as I was told to do. Now you may be thinking? What has this got to do with the State Police article? The public judged us and we were doing what we were told to do. The same for the Law Enforcement personnel, they do as they are directed and no matter which way they do it, they are viewed by many in an unkind way. The same as myself and others that were sent to Viet Nam and came back to the USA. Not exactly what I would call a Very Warm Friendly Welcome.

So I will give the other guy a Brake and be Nice.

Last edited by tigerhonaker : 02-27-2006 at 07:34 PM.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-27-2006, 08:44 AM
just the messenger

Could you get upset with this guy?
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Thumbs up Re: Guidelines for motorists who are stopped by the State Patrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Could you get upset with this guy?
Delta;
Your alright. We were just discussing him today at the office.

Terry

Thanks, for the Link
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: Mazda, Honda, Ford

I drove thru this crime sence this week after a Arkansas State Trooper shot a guy for not showing his hands. No pepper spray was used, no other tatics where used. State Trooper just basicly point blank shot him with a shot gun. he was mentaly ill. they where looking for a escape from Michigan. This wasnt him.

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4605342

This is the guy they where after. He had thrown down his gun when he ran into the Wal-Mart. They naturaly shot him also.

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu151_1

What to do in Arkansas? Hope your guns bigger and fires faster than the cops weapons.

The new American way of life "I want my hand out, And I want it now!"
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM
just the messenger

What if You Were That Trooper?

I'm not about to give law enforcement a carte blache for everything they do - one pullover I experienced was questionable. I will ask: "what if it was you pulling over" a driver that looked like he was violent and unresponsive?" Don't assume the story gives the complete picture. Yes, he might have been better off getting another trooper, etc....but he had only seconds to make a decision. A case could be made for allowing this suspect to drive. As far as I'm concerned, there are a lot of sane people with normal IQs that drive so poorly their licenses should be removed until they get their act together.

Consider that a law enforcement career does not last too long if you shoot many suspects without good reason.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Answers to "that guy."

Vehicles: 2009 Volvo V70

I don't have a problem with the law enforcement community, as they have never given me any problems. Not always helpful, but so far never harmful, either. In fact, I can't even count the number of times I have been clocked up to 10mph over the limit and ignored for whatever reason. (I've never been a "slow" driver on the highway and hope to kick that bad habit.)

What I do have a problem with is the system of putting drivers on the road after a largely insufficient education and then depending on the police to devote large quantities of time to fining us into submission. I always hear that "speed kills" and I grant that it plays a role in far too many accidents. But is speed really the route cause of the accident? No. It is poor decision making. I really wish that we would find a way to help drivers set higher standards for themselves.