User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

disengaging clutch vs putting in neutral

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM

disengaging clutch vs putting in neutral

I always push in the clutch pedal while going downhill with my 2006 scion xb 5-speed and I get great mpg. Someone said that I should just put it in neutral otherwise I will be wearing out some component of my cluth. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Fit, 1998 Honda Civic
Re: disengaging clutch vs putting in neutral

Yes - you'll wear out your throw-out bearing, and possibly more.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Vehicles: 2001 Jetta TDI 5MT

That's not correct, actually by leaving the clutch in and remaining in gear you're saving a (tiny, imperceptible) amount of wear to your clutch. When you let out the clutch in neutral, the clutch has to spin up the input shaft to the transmission, so there is a bit of wear. Note that I'm not a very reliable source for this, but as far as I know, that's what happens. If you want to read, here you go.

I put it in neutral because my glides are usually long and my leg would get tired holding the clutch in for over half of my driving.

edit:Just saw Applemac's post, he knows more about it than me, but I would say that the wear would be on the throw-out bearing, not the clutch? Anyway, shifting to neutral is probably the best.

Kirk

Beating the EPA
Start Here!
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I hypermiled this

Vehicles: 2005 Chevrolet Aveo 5 (5spd manual)

Here's another consideration, if the hill is steep enough that you gain speed and have to use your brakes, it might be better to leave it in gear and stay off the gas pedal. Your engine can help keep your speed down, and since you'd be in fuel cutout, you'd actually be saving more gas than when in neutral.

In many states, it is illegal to coast down inclines in neutral, perhaps a holdover from before synchromesh transmissions, but if you are going to go into neutral, try releasing the gas and nudging the shifter out of gear. If you do it right, it is gentle and smooth, and does not involve clutching or throwout bearings.

And if you wanted, you are just a key back and forth from a FAS.

Of course you'd have to depress the clutch to reengage the gears, and if you went into a FAS you'd bump start in fifth gear (or 6th if you've got it), select the appropriate gear and you are on your way.

Of the three techniques, the FAS would use the least gas, by shutting down the injectors and also providing the best glide.

Depending on traffic, and other conditions, the engine "on" and tranny in gear, but the foot off the gas, would probably provide the next best MPGs, since you'd be in fuel cutout until you got down to idle RPMs.

The third method, of simply bumping into neutral would burn a little fuel because your engine would settle down to near idle RPMS.

Different situations may warrant different choices. But you'll learn which are best for any given day or time of day.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemac*fit View Post
Yes - you'll wear out your throw-out bearing, and possibly more.
I agree. I helped replace a throw-out bearing in a friend’s car in high school. I don’t think that bearing is meant to take excessive extended wear.

The clutch is held closed by a spring loaded system, which is spinning with the clutch. To release the clutch you need to counter act the springs, but there moving. There is a stationary fork your moving with the clutch peddle to release the spring pressure. The bearing is on the end of that fork, normally just sitting there – not spinning. The bearing provides a way for you to move the spinning clutch system with a stationary lever.
If I am sitting at a light that just turned red, I will often put the car in neutral and take my foot off the clutch.

Note: I OFTEN cost keeping my foot on the clutch, just not for extended(excessive) length of time.

But costing in neutral:
Costing (down hill) in neutral here in Minnesota is illegal. I used to drive a truck, and I have experienced why it’s illegal. In the truck if I accidentally missed a gear and got stuck in neutral the only way to hit the gear was to rev match the engine to the speed. Rev matching can be done, but (more so in a truck) while doing that you don’t have the engine’s help controlling the speed of the vehicle.

Note: I OFTEN cost in neutral in my car. 1 I can easily slow my car with the breaks – without the engines help. 2 my transition is better than that truck have not had a problem getting back into gear.
In most cars if your trying to put the transmission in an speed appropriate gear you should not have much if any trouble.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Vehicles: 1995 Geo Metro Sedan with a 3cyl conversion

I have a long (over 1.5 miles) down hill run on my commute with a stop at the bottom. I leave the car in 5th and shut off the key. This provides vacuum for the power brakes. Just before the stop at the bottom just turn the key back on and it is running for the next pulse. Only turn the key back one position to accessory. On less severe glides I turn the engine off the same way only I use neutral. I restart in 5th for the next pulse. Save on!
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 AM

Vehicles: 09 Pontiac Vibe 2.4 Stick shift, 70 Land Rover IIA Diesel

Hi, first of all do not keep the clutch in for any extended period of time as you will wear out the release bearing. The only way to change the bearing is to remove the gearbox, not a job you want to do too often. Just pop the car into neutral then when ready back into gear. Good luck.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 AM

Vehicles: 2001 Jetta TDI 5MT

me and my metro: I'm pretty sure that even in ACC safety equipment is not operational. Also, even if it does work in your metro, don't recommend it to anyone else, since disabled airbags are not a good thing. My manual warns about coasting with the car off in gear, it says fuel could get in the catalytic converter and damage it.

Kirk

Beating the EPA
Start Here!