User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Tags: , , , ,

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius
Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Thanks.

I have been visiting this and other similar sites for some time now... gee come to think about it... my interests in green car technology go back quite a few years.

Anyhow, most of us will agree that it is pretty hard to realize the potential of our hybrid vehicles by relying solely on the Users's Manual and the kind "expertise" of your local dealerships. That's why sites like this one are so important. As a whole we can amalgamate quite a knowledgebase on what works and doesn't - all for the common goal of saving gas, the environment, and in the long run perhaps a little more than just money.

I just thought that when an individual such as Tarabell places this kind of effort into something that helps a larger groupo of individuals (if not a cause), it ought to be acknowledged.

That's why I registered my first post - just to say thank you... and HI to all!!

MS
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Lightbulb Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantos
Thanks.

I have been visiting this and other similar sites for some time now... gee come to think about it... my interests in green car technology go back quite a few years.

Anyhow, most of us will agree that it is pretty hard to realize the potential of our hybrid vehicles by relying solely on the Users's Manual and the kind "expertise" of your local dealerships. That's why sites like this one are so important. As a whole we can amalgamate quite a knowledgebase on what works and doesn't - all for the common goal of saving gas, the environment, and in the long run perhaps a little more than just money.

I just thought that when an individual such as Tarabell places this kind of effort into something that helps a larger groupo of individuals (if not a cause), it ought to be acknowledged.

That's why I registered my first post - just to say thank you... and HI to all!!

MS
Hi msantos,

We have some other members from Canada and certainly hope that more will come here to www.CleanMPG.com

Tarabell, did a Fantastic job on her Article as well as the gentleman (Xcel) that did the editing of the Article with Tarabell. Nice words from you and I'm sure Tarabell and (Xcel) will appreciate them.

Don't be a {Stranger} come and visit frequently and hope you will continue to enjoy this "Forum".

Regards,

Terry

#23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Platinum Contributor

Wink Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Tara,

I think you will find "My-Post" to be Dead On Target.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...2936#post72936

Your Pal,

Tiger

#24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Terry:

___If I did not know any better, I would almost bet you work for Barnum and Baileys “Greatest Show on Earth” … or love your HCH-II just as much as Tarabell does

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Platinum Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Tarabell, Wayne,

Just received this E-Mail Notice from GH. Thought (You-Both) might enjoy the "Words".
************************************************************************************************************

Today, 06:10 AM
PCK
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 HCH w/Nav

Thanks for posting that here it is a very well thought out and written article.

**********************************************************************************************************

This is taken from, GH
Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II ... 2-Replies... 151 Views and Climbing
tigerhonaker Today 07:33 PM
by tigerhonaker
**********************************************************************************************************

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker : 07-11-2006 at 12:10 AM.
  #26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Vehicles: 06 HCH II, 03 Saturn VUE

This is a great article. I'm anxious to try some of the techniques to see if I can improve my mileage significantly. Thanks for all the hard work in putting this together!
  #27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Platinum Contributor

Question Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburke8302
This is a great article. I'm anxious to try some of the techniques to see if I can improve my mileage significantly. Thanks for all the hard work in putting this together!
Say if I did not say this earlier and I should have.

Welcome to www.CleanMPG.com

And now that I have your Attention. Are you going to put a little time aside and go to www.Hybridfest.com 2006. It is the 22nd of July in Madison, WI. Saturday. I live in Frankin, TN. and will be driving up on Thursday for the Event on Saturday.

Come on and drive up and meet the Administrators of www.CleanMPG.com in {Person}. I will introduce you to them myself. That means there will be more than 1-person from TN. at www.Hybridfest.com 2006.

Terry

#28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 AM

Vehicles: HCH II, mag pearl

Tarabell, like others, I just want to add my thanks for your efforts in writing what clearly is the definitive article on optimizing FE techniques in the HCH II. I was pointed to your article while browsing greenhybrid (thanks, Tiger, for posting that link) a couple weeks back. Your article was no small part of my decision to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new HCH II (my first hybrid). I picked it up last night and, with the fresh benefit of 70-odd miles on the car, read your article again this morning (some of the nuances you describe make more sense after actually having driven the car). I'm psyched about exploring all the techniques you talk about.

Many thanks for taking the time...

Jeff
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

Jeff,
Since our usual welcoming committee is on hiatus, let me say hello and I'm very glad you joined our group here. As a new hybrid-owner myself I found driving this car quite a learning curve. I bought it mainly for the HOV stickers and assumed the increased mileage would require no effort on my part. Then...oh the irony....I found the actual fun part of driving it was in the effort.

Hope to hear your experiences and observations!

#30   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Vehicles: HCH-II mag pearl

Tarabell- I want to add my thanks to the long list from others. I'm so glad I was able to find an article that explained so much, so early after buying my new HCH-II.

I just bought it 2 weeks ago, and have been using your wonderful techniques. I haven't seen the great FE that you have, but then again, there's no way for me to get anywhere I need to get, without hitting huge hills over and over again.

I do have a question, for you, or anyone else that wants to answer- do any of you actually notice, or "feel" the assist? I've tried to see if I could notice, climbed some fairly acute angle hills (very low slope), had my FE at 100, and slowly got my Assist up to 3-4 bars, but haven't been able to notice any differene between a Glide (0 bars both directions) and an Assist of 3-4. Is it possible that the Assist is just being shown, but isn't really working? (I assume it must be working, since my charge level's gone up and down quite a bit)

Thanks,

MoGryph