User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Tags: , , , ,

#91   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM

Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Hey guys, I'm Dan. Picked up a nice low-mileage 07 HCH-II about 3 weeks ago.
I haven't seen much about how hills and grades of the road affect FE. My area has nothing but rolling hills and grades of 10-20% that may last for 1.5 miles. I find it very challenging to keep a minimum load on the engine without losing 10-12 mph when even going up a gentle grade on the freeway for instance. [I](Perhaps I just need to practice my accelerator touch!) Anyways. . .does this loss of mph sound excessive? The problem then is, I then need to get the car up to a faster (52 mph or so) to keep up with traffic flow. Of course this process repeats several times on my drives.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the long, steep grades? With a warmed-up engine, I find I can manage about 25-32MPG going at about 35 mph on a 10% incline that lasts 1. 5 miles.

Also, it seems that the car is too quick to give electric assist when not needed and sometimes too slow offer it when needed. Is this a function of my needing to be more gentle with the go-pedal? (I've read about the ICU flash-reprogram that may cause these conditions. Does anybody have any info?)

My overall mileage on three tanks has averaged about 45MPG. I have noticed on some loops that I can average 55-57MPG using the iFCE. At 45MPG I'm overjoyed considering, I got rid of a full size Ford P/U that averaged about 17MPG. Thanks.
  #92   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Terrabell,
I would like to thank you for your work you put into this article. I just purchased a HCH 2, last week. I started out getting about 44 mpg, I was so bummed I thought that I wasted my money on buying the hybrid. I researched what I was doing wrong...and pow your post came up. You are a life saver, today I hit 67.7mpg on a 30mile stretch. Its all because of your work....Thanks again. Here is a pic of my mpg... )))))

Last edited by Fiatdolla : 08-13-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: img isn't showing up...well doesn't mattter
  #93   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Thumbs up Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Congratulations on your new found {Mileage} achievement.

Terry

#94   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

Great result, Fiatdolla !
  #95   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Vehicles: 2008 HCH-II, 2013 CRZ EX with Navi

Yep, that was my experience too. Drive it like a regular car, get regular mileage. Learn the tricks of the IMA and the cylinder management in the HCH and it's a great little hypermiling car.
  #96   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 PM

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

69.3 mpg after correcting for the average under report...multiple directions, warm, light wind...today's driving.
  #97   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi All:

These HCH-IIs are still kick @S$$ at the pump!

When this thread was bumped from the ether, I called Rani and told her of new found followers. She laughed and said cool

Wayne

Last edited by xcel : 10-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.
  #98   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Beam me up Scotty

Vehicles: Honda Insight II 2012, Honda Fit DX Auto 2007

Great article Tarabell and after 7 years it is still generating responses.
I came across this article a few years ago when I was researching Honda Insight II when it first came out. I found that the technique could be applied somewhat on my non hybrid car at the time. It seemed to also work on the different busses I drive at work, particularly the hybrid variety. The hypermiling seemed to work hand in hand with my defensive driving techniques and I have been working very hard last few years practicing these on a daily basis (much to the scheduling departments chagrin).
Last February I finally got my Insight II so now everything I drive brings ire to the car behind. May I say that the numbers I am getting are amazing (as long as I rough it in the heat or cold). The numbers actually improve with the econ button off ( except when the heater or A/C is on).
Last night I drove the 15 km from work in town not going over 60kph ( around 40 mph) the car putting along at just under 50km per liter) mostly without the use of any electric assist, making it home with 29.4km per liter (approximately 70mpg on the Scangauge).
This is all due to the car and the technique in driving it thanks to you.
  #99   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Just In

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

I have found I can create the "0 iFCD" scenario with regularity, much like your EV-Assist" scenario. In fact I think this is when it is in true EV only because the engine
"is not" getting any FE reporting when the power is Electric only. I could be wrong, but I can maintain this for about 30 seconds at a time and only seem to get there when the acceleration is so minimal that that are no assist bars and no regen bars and the iFCD must be at/get to 100 to initiate the scenario, and by maintaining just a slight pressure in an effort to propel the car forward it will take off and maintain the speed or even accelerate slightly and smoothly as the iFCD goes to 0.

So I have felt the smooth acceleration you are talking about but I have never felt the telltale bump of the engine kicking back in. The only thing I have to compare to is that I have discovered if I am on a downhill in stopped traffic I can very slightly lift up on my brake and roll forward without engaging the engine, the tach is at 0 because the engine is still in Auto-Stop. I am coasting with nothing but gravity. At about 25 mph, the engine will kick in with a bump so I know how that feels. I do not seem to get a FE rise for this but I am sure it is not hurting my FE, it is just that it is all at relatively low speeds.

The EV-Assit mode I think is the phenomenon you describe when your speed starts to go up but your Tach does not and this is hard to maintain but it possible to create regularly when the speed, traffic and road work together at moment in time and it will drive your FE up over time.

Thank you for all the effort you put into this, it really has and will continue to help a lot of people interested in improving their mileage with Honda Hybrids.
  #100   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Contributor

Vehicles: 2008 Bullitt Mustang & 2007 HAH
Smile Re: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

I see that was your 1st Post on CMPG.

A major welcome to this Internet site.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualccb View Post
I have found I can create the "0 iFCD" scenario with regularity, much like your EV-Assist" scenario. In fact I think this is when it is in true EV only because the engine
"is not" getting any FE reporting when the power is Electric only. I could be wrong, but I can maintain this for about 30 seconds at a time and only seem to get there when the acceleration is so minimal that that are no assist bars and no regen bars and the iFCD must be at/get to 100 to initiate the scenario, and by maintaining just a slight pressure in an effort to propel the car forward it will take off and maintain the speed or even accelerate slightly and smoothly as the iFCD goes to 0.

So I have felt the smooth acceleration you are talking about but I have never felt the telltale bump of the engine kicking back in. The only thing I have to compare to is that I have discovered if I am on a downhill in stopped traffic I can very slightly lift up on my brake and roll forward without engaging the engine, the tach is at 0 because the engine is still in Auto-Stop. I am coasting with nothing but gravity. At about 25 mph, the engine will kick in with a bump so I know how that feels. I do not seem to get a FE rise for this but I am sure it is not hurting my FE, it is just that it is all at relatively low speeds.

The EV-Assit mode I think is the phenomenon you describe when your speed starts to go up but your Tach does not and this is hard to maintain but it possible to create regularly when the speed, traffic and road work together at moment in time and it will drive your FE up over time.

Thank you for all the effort you put into this, it really has and will continue to help a lot of people interested in improving their mileage with Honda Hybrids.