User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Modding and Hardware » Technical

Technical Technical discussion on HW and SW mods with the intent of increasing performance and/or fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Alternator Cut-out

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM

Vehicles: 1996 Saturn SC2, 2000 Dodge Caravan 3.3L Flex
Alternator Cut-out

I was thinking of dissabling the alternator via a manual switch to help reduce load on the engine on short trips (everyday, i drive 3 miles to work). I proved that the car would run for at least 20 minutes last week. My alternator died and I continued to drive the car around town. The battery went down to about 11 volts by the time I got home. I charged it up and all was fine. Of course, I would replace my starting battery with a deep cycle battery to ensure I don't reduce the life of my starter battery. Then I could charge the car each night at home. I thought someone had tried this already. My problem is I don't know what wires to intercept on the alternator. My alternator has a large red wire (positive from the starter) and 2 small wires going into it. The two small wires are on the same plug. I am assuming one of them controls when the alternator is charging and when it isn't. I drive a 96 Saturn SC2. Anyone know the answer to this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Older Member

Vehicles: 2009 Ford Escape & 2012 Toyota Prius c2
Re: Alternator Cut-out

There is info around.. Google for it.
http://www.tffn.net/altwirng.html

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/imag...o1985Buick.jpg

Here's old stuff..
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Alte...onversions.htm

Hey! The De Lorean actually does have a Flux Capacitor!!

2.5L with a 6 speed AT? The lazy man's Hypermiling SUV!

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks! That helps.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Older Member

"The alternator's load on the engine is the alternator belt."
Actually, since the belt doesn't get real hot, it's not dissipating much power at all.
The electrical load (lights, rear window defroster etc) is what loads up the alternator and
that (now mechanical) load is placed on the engine via the belt.

" Removing the alternator belt and running the engine just off the battery will shorten the battery life."
tommyt31 did say he was going to replace the battery with a deep cycle battery,
so, maybe his idea will work ok..

"Draining down the battery and then periodically turning on the alternator with a switch to recharge it might shorten the life of the alternator."

If he watches the battery voltage and doesn't allow it to get too low, recharging it with the alternator shouldn't cause an abnormally high load.
Since tommyt31 is going to charge up his battery at night off the AC mains, it seems to me
that the alternator is going to get less use and should last a lot longer.

"Turning the alternator on and off with a switch would not affect mileage because the engine is still turning the alternator via the alternator belt."

If he is removing all the electrical load off the alternator, it's going to be real easy to turn.
(When you have the lights, etc turned on, it takes more work to turn the alternator,
to generate power: Watts)
And if the engine is not doing as much work, then he should get better MPG..

"whenever sensors detect the electrical load has increased when the engine is at idle. Turn on the headlights at idle and the engine will automatically speed up to increase the alternator output to the battery so the headlights don't start draining the battery."

My take on that is, when you turn on the lights, you electrically load down the alternator,
it loads down the engine, which has an idle control unit which wants to keep the engine
from stalling (when RPMs drop too low), so the idle control gives the engine more gas..
====

Any time tommyt31 charges his battery at home, he is not using gasoline..
His car will be working like a Plug-in Hybrid. But not saving a ton of gas
like the real deal (Honda Insight)!!
But, it sure seems like he will be saving a small amount of fuel..
Most likely not an easily measurable amount!

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

MetroMPG did some testing of this and the gain was on the order of multiple mpg IIRC.

The Insight doesn't even have an alternator -- partly for this reason.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 92 Civic CX, 97 Ford F-150 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
My take on that is, when you turn on the lights, you electrically load down the alternator,
it loads down the engine, which has an idle control unit which wants to keep the engine
from stalling (when RPMs drop too low), so the idle control gives the engine more gas..
If you have a SuperMID installed in your car, you can see the electrical loads that various accessories place on the engine. You can sit there with your warm engine idling while you turn on the lights, fan, radio, A/C and note how much the injector pulsewidth increases from the idle pulsewidth with only the electrical load required to run the car. The pulsewidth takes only a few seconds to show the new load.

aerocivic.com

Last edited by Right Lane Cruiser : 07-05-2008 at 11:15 AM.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Great info, guys. I'm not sure what a SuperMID is, though.
I asked Mike Rowand about my question (he is the guy that owns the website with the alternator wiring schematic above that Xringer posted). He said that drag racers do exactly what I want to do to gain a few hp on the quarter mile. The problem is if you run your electrical system at 12 volt (more like 12.5 volt) instead of 13.5-14.4 volt (alternator output), you could see a reduction in the intensity of the spark. I don't know if that would have a measureable effect in FE, though. I guess I could try it, but I still don't know what wire to intercept. I wanted to avoid messing with the main positive wire because of the amount of amps going through it. I could pull the fuse for the alternator and see if that works but I would be guessing.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 92 Civic CX, 97 Ford F-150 4WD

A SuperMID is a fuel consumption measuring device that was originally designed for the Prius, but also works on OBD1 (pre-1996) fuel injected 4- cylinder cars that won't work with a Scangauge. It has a number of displays not found on the Scangauge that are useful for FE driving.

aerocivic.com

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Cool, thanks! That would be handy on my 85 Daytona.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Older Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt31 View Post
Great info, guys. I'm not sure what a SuperMID is, though.
I asked Mike Rowand about my question (he is the guy that owns the website with the alternator wiring schematic above that Xringer posted). He said that drag racers do exactly what I want to do to gain a few hp on the quarter mile. The problem is if you run your electrical system at 12 volt (more like 12.5 volt) instead of 13.5-14.4 volt (alternator output), you could see a reduction in the intensity of the spark. I don't know if that would have a measureable effect in FE, though. I guess I could try it, but I still don't know what wire to intercept. I wanted to avoid messing with the main positive wire because of the amount of amps going through it. I could pull the fuse for the alternator and see if that works but I would be guessing.

I'm not sure you would see "a reduction in the intensity of the spark". Logically, on a well designed system, the spark should stay the same, since the alternator & the loads can vary all the time.
When I'm driving along, I can see my SG2 displaying between 12.6 & 14.x randomly. I'm pretty sure that the spark isn't effected much..
I think it would be effected more by old spark plugs and spark plug wiring.

Anyways, 1 watt = 0.00134102209 HP. So, 200W headlights are eating up around 1/4 hp..

Wife's Pizza Transporter