User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius II Hatch

2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius II Hatch Everything and anything relating to the Second Generation Toyota Prius Hatch.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

LRR Tires for Prius

Tags: ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Vehicles: 2006 Prius
LRR Tires for Prius

I need to replace the OEM tires on my 2006 Prius. I have read numerous posts about replacement tires on this and other web sites, but still can't determine which is the best tire for FE for the Prius. Is there a 185/65/15 LRR replacement tire for the Prius? If not, what other sizes can be used without effecting the speedometer?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 AM

Vehicles: 2007 Prius & 2010 Prius & 2011 Tundra
Re: LRR Tires for Prius

Hey miket,

I'm in close to the same position - got 51K on the Integrities. I think I've settled on either the General Altimax HT or the Sumitomo H4 for two reasons: 1) sidewall rating of 51psi and 2) they are both relatively lightweight (~18lbs). With the higher sidewall rating, I hope to get better efficiency and the lighter weight should help by reducing the spinning weight. The other tire I've looked at is the Michelin X club tire available at Costco - mentioned in several other threads as a good LRR tire. Hope to get others with direct experience to weigh in here.

Meanwhile, I've got my OEM's up to 62/60 - getting great results so far!

Cheers, Will

Last edited by kayakwill : 06-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 AM

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Insight

I also wanted the Michelin X tire when choosing replacements for my Mom's Prius with the stock Integrities at about 55k going into winter. Unfortunately, we don't have access to a Costco, and went with the next best rated tire from Michelin, the Harmony. It has much better wet traction, snow traction, dry handling, road noise, treadlife (supposedly), and pretty much everything else better than the stock Integrities. We noticed no drop off in mileage, and that was going from well worn (55k mile) rubber, to brand new tires with full tread.

It makes sense to choose a tire with lower weight to reduce the rotational weight, but I don't see the value in choosing a higher sidewall psi, when you're going to exceed it anyway. The new Michelin's have a sidewall pressure of 44 psi, as did the Integrities. We inflated both sets to 60 in summer and 50 in snowy winter with great results. Does the MAX Sidewall value say anything about the tire? I've noticed that cheaper tires tend to have lower numbers. My old Plymouth Reliant had a set of the cheapest tires available at Wal-Mart and they were rated at 35 max sidewall. All of the other tires sitting on our driveway currently say 44 psi, and all but 4 (out of 22 tires-5 cars and one trailer) are inflated at or above that number.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Sam's Club also carries the "X". I've ordered tires online before and had them shipped to and installed in the store.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Vehicles: 2004 Toyota Prius

Per Wayne Brown's Prius Energy Use Simulator Software, the OEM Integrity has a rollling resistance of 0.0077 at 38 psi and 0.0064 at 44 psi. By comparison, the Michelin Hydroedge measures 0.0089 and 0.0070 at the same pressures. You would be hard pressed to beat the OEM tire. I learned this the hard way when I installed Conti Premiercontact tires which got the best rating for LRR by consumer reports. Even after 3000 miles, I still had a 4 MPG loss compared with the OEM. I sold the Conti's and replaced with new OEM's and got the 4 MPG back.

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 PM
7 Years of Hypermiler Experience

Vehicles: 2004 Prius Hatchback

so nothing beats oem eh? not even the michellins (i heard michellins is the king of LRR tires) MX4 energy series (camry hybrid stock tire i believe), my gut goes with having the integrity is an outdated LRR design when new ones are around the block (like the new tires on the ford escape hybrid 2009!) but cannot buy in stores yet :S
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Dan:

___Nice to hear from you again as it has been a long time.

___About the Integrity’’s. They are not the best traction based tire by a long shot but they are inexpensive and if you really need to change them for winter snow and ice, you can pick up some Blizzak’s for the 2.5 to 3.5 months when you need those. Place the Integrity’s back on once spring arrives and you will receive decent FE during the warmer months

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 5 speed, 2010 MINI Cooper 6 speed

Thanks for the info. I just ordered (4) Integrity P185/65SR-15 for my Yaris HB. I will let you know a few months from now if I see any difference in mpg. My old tires RE92's were 872 revs per mile, and the new will be 855 revs per mile, a 2% difference, that I will have to adjust for.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Vehicles: 2004 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel View Post
Hi Dan:

___Nice to hear from you again as it has been a long time.

___About the Integrity’’s. They are not the best traction based tire by a long shot but they are inexpensive and if you really need to change them for winter snow and ice, you can pick up some Blizzak’s for the 2.5 to 3.5 months when you need those. Place the Integrity’s back on once spring arrives and you will receive decent FE during the warmer months

___Good Luck

___Wayne
Hi Wayne!
One can find fairly newish (less than 1000 miles)OEM tires at Prius Chat in the for sale forum. They normally go for $15-25 each. When you get them new, there is no way to guarantee that you are getting Prius OEM, so I would stick with ones that I know were removed from a Prius. I have been told that there is a difference. If you need to have snow tires, I would recommend getting a set of Corolla steelies.

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Vehicles: 2006 Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
Per Wayne Brown's Prius Energy Use Simulator Software, the OEM Integrity has a rollling resistance of 0.0077 at 38 psi and 0.0064 at 44 psi. By comparison, the Michelin Hydroedge measures 0.0089 and 0.0070 at the same pressures. You would be hard pressed to beat the OEM tire. I learned this the hard way when I installed Conti Premiercontact tires which got the best rating for LRR by consumer reports. Even after 3000 miles, I still had a 4 MPG loss compared with the OEM. I sold the Conti's and replaced with new OEM's and got the 4 MPG back.
I was considering the ContiPremierContacts, but have decided against them. However, I am still considering the ContiProContacts as they have gotten good reviews on some other sites.

Miket