User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

CleanMPG World Fuel Economy Championships - Records smashed!

Tags: ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Vehicles: 2000 Echo 5 speed
CleanMPG World Fuel Economy Championships - Records smashed!

First WFEC was a huge success!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Toyota_Prius1.jpg
Auston Hensley – CleanMPG – June 22, 2008

The history of fuel economy goes as far back as cars do. Cars have always had the need for fuel efficiency to keep costs down regardless of who it was or whatever was being driven. Fuel economy championships date to the 1950's during the Mobilgas Economy Runs and similar events being held today. Where better than to demonstrate what can be done with a vehicle in the best possible conditions in any place other than Indiana, the home of the Indianapolis 500?

This is of course, a story told through my own eyes.

The World Fuel Economy Championship held its first meeting over the weekend in Elkhart, Indiana, at Larry Trowbridge's (Diamondlarry) place. I arrived with Jud (Bestmapman) in his Prius-II. Wayne B, Larry, Hobbit, and others had already arrived and were setting up tents in the backyard to spend the weekend.

The rest of the evening was pretty much spent setting up the tents and meeting everybody. I think it was just spent swamped in various bugs and barn cats who'd eat anything. Larry has a Beagle and several cats, as well as a variety of older vehicles laying about. Also, we found out that he and his son have the best commute imaginable. There's almost no traffic lights of stop signs, no traffic, just about as flat as it could possibly be, and if there was any traffic it was all country roads so they could go around. We spent the rest of the night in lawn chairs in a circle, with a bright light well away from us to attract the bugs away. And then hobbit got right next to the light...

At about two in the morning, Wayne arrived in the MDX along with a whole FSP-full of people. I, half-awake, walk over and ask what kind of car it is and the response I get is 'It's a fuel sucking pig' :P

Without any further major incidents, the rest of us had arrived by the next morning. As soon as enough of us were awake, we then spent the next two hours talking about various small things, none of which were important. We were hungry. The move that finally got us moving though was when I cranked the starter in the MDX, immediately getting everyone's attention. LOL

Official course map placed on Larry's wall.

Hobbit with Blue Swayed and TorqueNada visible in the background.

Left to right: Hobbit, Debbie, Peter, and Jerad

The cars in the parking lot as we ate at McDeath (McDonalds).
Note the orange Insight, compare it to the Ram doolie

Wayne talking just before the economy runs began.
That is, after we got some McDeath for breakfast.

Never, ever burn any gas unless you absolutely have to!

Wayne pressing up those tires to 80 PSI

Hobbit pressing up his tires the hard way

And then once breakfast was done, the fuel economy runs began. I was the official score-keeper, which also became the guy who makes sure all the cars are out there, and who's supposed to be driving, and who's next. I spent most of Saturday running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

For the Priuses and FEH, they started halfway down Larry's driveway, left on the road, and then another left up the hill at the stop sign. We drew lots on who would go in what order, and three Priuses and the FEH were all out there at any one time. The Insights started at the top of the hill with someone to push, in order to get it rolling down a hill and then pop the clutch.

The Priuses started with a SoC at 70 and the FEH at 52.4. The Insights had their IMA functions disabled and the packs fully charged. All cars were sent off at three to five minute intervals when the road was clear of traffic.

The course was 16.1 miles round trip. This consisted of four miles south along County Road 1, including three stop signs. Then we'd turn west along County Road 40, with a posted speed limit of 50. We'd go another four miles to a school where we'd turn around and come back the same way we'd come.

As Saturday went on and the results began coming in. During this time, Laurie in a clinic with Wayne posted a 1.1 L/100km (213.8 MPG over 6.2 miles!)

The highlight of the day had to be this, though: as I was making my run in Blue Swayed late in the day, I drove by a house with kids playing in the front yard. And as I rolled past, < 15 MPH for sure, one of the kids shouted out loud "Why can't those cars go faster?"

Now that I think of it, this event would look really weird to an outsider. The same seven cars, all with out of state plates, going back and forth on a road in front of your house, all day? And they never do more than 20 miles an hour? That's probably on a local Northern Indiana forum somewhere by now. "Strange sighting in Elkhart today" or something.

The world-record holder of the best miles per gallon in a hypermiling championship now belongs to Wayne (xcel), who posted a 1.1L/100km (213.8 MPG) over 16.1 miles in Sean's Insight, Blue Swayed.

Wayne Gerdes (xcel) in Blue Swayed after the economy run.
The FCD reports 15.7 miles/25.2 kilometers, probably because of so much FAS'ing.

Final Results

Prius

NameMiles per gallon (mpg)State of Charge (SoC)
Wayne G. (Champion)136 MPG46.0
Justin F. (Runner-up)131 MPG47.0
Dan129 MPG44.0
Jerad127 MPG *149.0
Andrew119 MPG50.5
Hobbit118 MPG52.5
Ken118 MPG48.5
Brian117 MPG55.5
Peter117 MPG *147.0
Laurie116 MPG *255.0
Larry113 MPG52.5
Sean113 MPG *150.0
Jud112 MPG *247.0
Mike110 MPG51.5
Rani108 MPG46.5
Bob102 MPG48.0

Ford Escape Hybrid

NameMiles per gallon (mpg)State of Charge (SoC)
Wayne G. (Champion)75.7 MPG43.5
Sean W. (Runner-up)74.4 MPG48.1
Dan72.1 MPG42.3
Ken70.4 MPG40.2
Debbie70.2 MPG50.4

Honda Insight
The Honda Insight FCD maxes out at 150 MPG so we used metric measurements and converted to US MPG.

NameMiles per gallon (mpg)
Wayne G. (Champion)213.8 MPG (1.1L/100km)
Wayne B. (Runner-up)196.0 MPG (1.2L/100km)
Dan168.0 MPG (1.4L/100km)
Auston156.8 MPG (1.5L/100km)
Andrew156.8 MPG (1.5L/100km)
Brian149.6 MPG
Justin145.9 MPG *3
Ken145.7 MPG
Jud144.7 MPG
Laurie142.4 MPG
Bob141.4 MPG
Rani134.1 MPG *3
Chuck129.4 MPG
Sean93.5 MPG *3

TorqueNada (Ford Ranger P/U)

Ken (Champion)57.6 MPG
Andrew (Runner-up)53.0 MPG

Toyota Corolla
Wayne G. (Champion)73.5 MPG

*1 = One of the Priuses read distance driven incorrectly, skewing final MPG by 3%. These are the corrected numbers.
*2 = Thunderstorms happened during these runs, lowering the final mileage.
*3 = At some point on Saturday one of the Insights had a brake problem, and it dragged, lowering mileages by a third or more.

All in all, I had a great time meeting Wayne, Chuck, Andrew, and the whole crew. I pray they all have a safe return home and that we hold another meeting like this as soon as possible.

Last edited by xcel : 01-25-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Vehicles: 2012 Tesla Model S, 2004 Toyota Prius, 2006 Highlander Hybrid
Re: CleanMPG World Fuel Economy Challenge

Wish I could have made it, sounds like a great little event...bigger in coming years I presume.

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM

Vehicles: 2004 Toyota Prius, 2001 Nissan Xterra 4wd(M), 2003 Ford Explorer 4wd (work)

next year in-car video would be awesome to show off technique.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Fighting untruth and misinformation

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius, 2009 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether glider View Post
next year in-car video would be awesome to show off technique.
Good idea, might be expensive to incorporate.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Heck, if I can get an invite I can do some in-car video. I have a camera mount already, from my past life racing days.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Vehicles: 2004 Toyota Prius, 2001 Nissan Xterra 4wd(M), 2003 Ford Explorer 4wd (work)

hopefully you guys will get a sponsor
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM

I should mention my desire for a non-hybrid division.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Vehicles: 2002 Honda Insight 5-speed, converted to a PHEV

Great write up.
Especially liked the pics!
Madison, WI
608-729-4082
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Vehicles: 2001 Honda Insight 5sp

Nice work everyone.
One of these days, someone is going to get that 1.0 liter pic, at an event like this.
Sorry I could not get there this year.
Randall

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Vehicles: 2000 Echo 5 speed

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPy56Si2Kaw