User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Everybody’s Business

Tags:

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Vehicles: 2006 Prius
Re: Everybody’s Business

Hi Lamebums,

We have a socalled "gas guzzler" license fee here in Illinois. Because heavier vehicles cause more road damage, primarily. That fee could be boosted easily.

I think the automotive property tax is more of the slipery slope. They have that in Connecticut, and its level varies from community to community. I travel there on occaision, and people buy cars that depretiate fast just to lessen the burden. So the Yugo is the ideal car there, if it can be kept running. Or surplus police cruisers. Or ten year old pickup trucks. Technology cost money to develop, yet the regressive tax in Connecticut diminishes what can be charged for a vehicle. This is kinda an AMT situation. I imagine it was originally meant to ding the rich but now you cannot buy a car which you will pay more in property tax for it each year, than the gas it uses. Or it was that way till this year.
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Vehicles: '07 Prius, '10 Focus, '03 BMW R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebums View Post
Unfortunately you can't sign into law specific limitations on vehicle size, targeting larger SUV's and pickups.
Sure we can; in fact, we just did. The new CAFE standards law is too weak with too many loopholes, but it will in fact dictate what vehicles you can drive in the future.

Peak Oil will dictate terms, anyway. Don't be too surprised to see gasoline rationing. That law took effect during WW II. Be fun to see how the gas-hog drivers deal with something like that.

Ben Stein is a smart guy, but I agree that while he mentioned that we drive SUV gas-hogs, he didn't emphasize the importance of changing over our fleet of vehicles to fuel-efficient ones a quickly as possible. Hopefully, high gasoline prices will do that more efficiently than the government can, especially a government that is corrupt and guilty of being bought by lobbyists.

Harry
  #13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Vehicles: 1997 Nissan Altima

And, I think that conservation would be a higher priority for everyone concerned when its OUR oil we're burning, and not somebody else's.....
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Vehicles: 1997 Nissan Altima

I can't say I'm a fan of more government regulations to try and solve the problem........
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Vehicles: 2000 Echo 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Sure we can; in fact, we just did. The new CAFE standards law is too weak with too many loopholes, but it will in fact dictate what vehicles you can drive in the future.
I'm not 100% in the know about the new CAFE, but can't they get around those CAFE requirements if it's a flex-fuel E85 vehicle?
  #16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Vehicles: 2007 honda fit, 2003 honda pilot

Yes, and Americans don't like to hear (or acknowledge) that we're mostly a bunch of mega-consumers-and that there's little reason for it. Why, I just heard either Hannity or Limbaugh taking it to Barack Obama for a comment he made several days ago stating as much (albeit in a very cautious way.) There's a reason we're called "Ugly Americans" in Europe, as well as some other countries in the world. Instant gratification is the mantra of the day, I'm afraid. There is very little real "drama" in our day to day lives as Americans; thus the proliferation of the "reality-based" television shows which scar the television landscape and popular culture at large. I think I'll quote some John Prine now: "Blow up your T.V., throw away your paper, move to the country-build you a home. Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches, try to find Jesus on your own!" I feel much better now.
brian
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Vehicles: 2002 Ford Taurus SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayTrumpets View Post
I gotta agree with Ben - we need to explore OUR sources of energy and reduce our dependency on Foreign Oil. I think energy independence is a bit more pressing than environmental concerns. If our economy is destroyed and we descend into chaos, nobody is going to care about the environment.......fix the dependency first, THEN worry about the environment. If we can take care of both at the same time, then that's great.
Many great past civilizations have collapsed in large part to environmental degradation and climate change (man made and/or natural). Check out Collapse by Jared Diamond. I agree that we need to shore up our economy and continue to look out for "numero uno", but if we totally disregard the environment, we may do so at our own peril.
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Vehicles: '07 Prius, '10 Focus, '03 BMW R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebums View Post
I'm not 100% in the know about the new CAFE, but can't they get around those CAFE requirements if it's a flex-fuel E85 vehicle?
Yes, if I understand it correctly, that is one of the biggest loopholes, courtesy of GM and Archer Daniels Midland. Ain't it a wonderful country we live in? It's the best government money can buy...

All the shaningans our government and auto makers engage in can't get around the awful prospect of Peak Oil. Our fleet of vehicles must change. Gasoline prices will see to that. And if our auto makers won't supply the fuel efficient vehicles we need, then the Asian and European auto makers will. That's how the free market works. Hopefully, we'll still be able to afford these new vehicles...

Harry
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmpg View Post
There's a reason we're called "Ugly Americans" in Europe, as well as some other countries in the world.
I Wish we were Ugly Americans. Unfortunately, far too many of us are so insular and self-assured of our own righteousness that'd it never happen.

And please, could everyone stop quoting books they've never read or understood? In the book, the Ugly American is the GOOD GUY!
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 PM

Vehicles: 2000 Echo 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Yes, if I understand it correctly, that is one of the biggest loopholes, courtesy of GM and Archer Daniels Midland. Ain't it a wonderful country we live in? It's the best government money can buy...

All the shaningans our government and auto makers engage in can't get around the awful prospect of Peak Oil. Our fleet of vehicles must change. Gasoline prices will see to that. And if our auto makers won't supply the fuel efficient vehicles we need, then the Asian and European auto makers will. That's how the free market works. Hopefully, we'll still be able to afford these new vehicles...

Harry
Therefore the new CAFE does not really change the type of vehicles we will drive, since all the Big 3 have to do is make their FSP's flex-fuel compatible and then keep pumping them out??

But yeah I agree that gas prices will change the market in ways that no amount of government regulation will ever achieve.

As to Asian and European automakers supplying the more fuel-efficient vehicles, didn't that happen in 1973? In response, we drove around Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas, and imported Volkswagen diesels from Europe because of their better mileage?

Of course, those same Japanese automakers have succumbed to the lure of FSP sales and the wider profit margins--so who perhaps would take the place?

Mark my words--we'll see cheap imports (most likely China--google Chery Automobile) that are little ****boxes but they're good on gas and relatively easy to maintain despite being really, really unsafe. But it won't cost a fortune to fill it up and as a result they'll sell like mad.