User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Optimum Speed/RPM on Civic

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Vehicles: 2008 Toyota Yaris LB AT 3dr
Optimum Speed/RPM on Civic

I have a 1995 Honda Civic Auto 1.6L VTEC. What speed would give me the best mileage? I've heard anywhere from 45-55 as typical and some rare exceptions at 65. At 65, I get 2500 RPM, 60 MPH = 2400 RPM, 55 MPH = 2200 RPM, 50 MPH = 2000 RPM. I've been slowly accelerating and noticed if you push on the gas pedal too hard, the car will shift up to 3000 RPM (probably when VTEC kicks in). Likewise, less than 2000 RPM doesn't seem ideal if you step on the gas pedal too slowly. I've been trying to keep it between 2000-2500 RPM. Since the car can't use a ScanGauge, I've had to guess at what works.

Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired
Re: Optimum Speed/RPM on Civic

Keep the rpm low. Learn the car's shift points. If it shifts at 45 into top gear, get it up to 46 or so and let up on the gas. It'll shift, and then you can get back on it in the higher gear. "fake-shift"

I use a fairly heavy acceleration rate, but my manual will allow that without downshifting. Since you're driving an auto, just keep it as low as possible. I'd say below 2,500 while accelerating.

For cruising, the lowest speed that will hold top gear will give you the best numbers. Don't give it enough gas to shift down, but just a touch less than that.

I've done 34 mpg in my Odyssey (V6 auto) using these ideas, along with neutral-coasting. It's rated 21 combined.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Be Inspired

Vehicles: 1999 Dodge Avenger, 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 5sp

usually a few mph over the lowest speed possible in the highest gear yields the best fuel efficiency. you will probably get the best efficiency at 50 mph, but you can do what one of our members did and just do a few tanks at 50, a few at 55 and a few at 60 and find the trend. i will guess that at 50 mph you get the best efficiency. my car is in top gear at 41/42mph, but my highest efficiency level is at 50mph. this is sometimes listed in the manual.

Best Segment: 25.3mi@76.9mpg
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 AM

Vehicles: 1999 Honda Civic 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Keep the rpm low. Learn the car's shift points. If it shifts at 45 into top gear, get it up to 46 or so and let up on the gas. It'll shift, and then you can get back on it in the higher gear. "fake-shift"

I use a fairly heavy acceleration rate, but my manual will allow that without downshifting. Since you're driving an auto, just keep it as low as possible. I'd say below 2,500 while accelerating.

For cruising, the lowest speed that will hold top gear will give you the best numbers. Don't give it enough gas to shift down, but just a touch less than that.

I've done 34 mpg in my Odyssey (V6 auto) using these ideas, along with neutral-coasting. It's rated 21 combined.
it's weird that you use a "fairly accelaration rate"...and yet you got 50+mpg..
can you tell me your shift points for every gear...?

mine are
into 2nd at 10mph
into 3rd at 15mph
into 4th at 20mph
into 5th at 25mph
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Beat the System

2nd as soon as possible, probably 2-3 mph
3rd at 10
4th at 15-20
5th at 30+

I'm very intentional about my acceleration rates. I want to keep the engine in a low-rpm, high-load position. If you keep the rpm that low, you won't really be accelerating very fast anyway.
This Autospeed article explains.
Quote:
The best BSFC is the red area centred around 2000 rpm and three-quarters load.
I try to keep in that area as much as possible, and when I'm not, the engine is off. Pulse & Glide.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Vehicles: 1999 Honda Civic 5spd

Quote:
2nd as soon as possible, probably 2-3 mph
3rd at 10
4th at 15-20
5th at 30+

I'm very intentional about my acceleration rates. I want to keep the engine in a low-rpm, high-load position. If you keep the rpm that low, you won't really be accelerating very fast anyway.
This Autospeed article explains.

I try to keep in that area as much as possible, and when I'm not, the engine is off. Pulse & Glide.

That's very interesting! but i don't think my 4th is going to like 15mph...anything under 20 and it has problems..

lol I remember when I bought the car...if I put it put it into 5th below 32mph it would barely move and almost stall...

I replaced the pcv, some hoses that looked bad, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires and now i can put it into 5th at 25mph wihout problems..
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Vehicles: 2008 Toyota Yaris LB AT 3dr

Quote:

Since my car is a 4 speed automatic I should only have 3 shift points right (2nd 3rd and 4th)? It seemed like my car had 4 shift points when I felt the car give a little jolt every time it shifted.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Vehicles: 1997 Honda Civic HX

PaleMelanesian ... How are you getting such good mileage???? Are you using a scangauge? if you are what are your values on the gauge cuz i have a 2000 cx hatch and probably a lighter car and i am def not getting the mileage id like to be getting! i am def doing something wrong. Most of my highway driving is a 19 mile strip from my house to scholl going 65( spped limit) i get up to speed slowly and my tps is low and gph is low ... sorry not trying to thread jack
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota

For an Auto, what's the best acceleration rpm? 2k won't accelerate much at all and the shift doesn't seem to happen until 2600-2700rpm, so vtec-e engages sometimes.

I'm confused.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Beat the System

Let me restate my numbers. After i posted that, i realize they're a bit low.

1st: just to get started
2nd: from <5mph
3rd: from 10-15
4th: from 20
5th: from 30-40, depending on needs and terrain

For auto, just play with it. keep it as low as possible within the shift ranges built into your car.