User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Honda

Honda The Power of Dreams - Discussion about Honda and Honda automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Is Honda 0w-20 oil synthetic?

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Vehicles: 2007 HCH2, 1993 Cutlass Supreme
Is Honda 0w-20 oil synthetic?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding Mobil-1 0w-20 in my area, and was wondering if it is even that much different than the oil I can buy at the dealership. It can be a real hassle finding time for an oil change at the dealer, so I'd like to do it myself most of the time.

Does anyone know if the "Genuine" Honda 0w-20 oil is conventional or synthetic?
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Vehicles: Wife says I have too many cars.
Re: Is Honda 0w-20 oil synthetic?

pdogg81,

I can't answer your question, but I happened to be in Walmart over the weekend and they had Mobil 1 0W-20, so I bought enough for an Insight oil change. Anyone who knows me will attest to my total and absolute disdain of Walmart, and the reason I was in there over the weekend was completely my Wife’s doing. That said, it had a positive outcome!

Have you looked in your local Walmart for Mobil 1 0w-20?

Cheers,
Dave

Best daily commute: 28.4 miles @ 98.4mpg

Last edited by Euroford : 04-22-2008 at 01:38 PM.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota

Check NAPA, Murrays, and other local parts stores. If not, you can always mail-order it.

Here's the Mobil 1 "Where do I find it" thingy http://web.sa.mapquest.com/mobil1/?tempset=search
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

I've heard some say Honda's oil is synethetic, but don't quote me.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg81 View Post
Does anyone know if the "Genuine" Honda 0w-20 oil is conventional or synthetic?
According to my sources Honda's 0W20 is not synthetic. However, they also say it meets much of the performance criteria that the 0W20 synthetics provide on the HCH-II.
In fact our own WHG tests indicated that using a purely synthetic like Mobil1 0W20 over the Honda sourced 0W20 offers negligible benefits in terms of FE. The engine wear oil lab results also did not reveal much deviation either. We conducted the tests during 2007 on 5 different higher mileage 2006 models.

Cheers;

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Amsoil has a 0-20 full syn available. You can order it online or get it from your local Amsoil dealer. We have a quick change place that is using Amsoil now.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Vehicles: 2007 HCH2, 1993 Cutlass Supreme

Euroford:
I too am a Wal-mart hater, but went there yesterday since I heard they sometimes carry Mobil-1 0w20, but no dice at the store I went to.

msantos:
Thanks for the info. Were those tests done on high mileage vehicles that have used conventional oil up to that point, or were the ones tested with synthetic using synthetic since their initial break-in?
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Another factor to consider in whether to use petroleum or synthetic is the drain intervals.

Amsoil is up to 25,000 miles between changes. I have used a slightly different schedule and have gone over 30,000 in the Insight.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Vehicles: CR-V EX'02, Del Sol Si'93

For any oil questions google BITOG (bob is the oil guy). They also did a study on oil breakdown over something like 20K or 100K miles (?) for Mobil-1 and maybe Amsoil synthetic, which took over a year to do, and a study of oil filters which seem to have
wide variations.

As for synthetic, there are also different grades. Most synth are the cheap kind maide from cracked mineral oil. Pure synth requires less additives and are more stable.

Grade reading is weird: 0W20 and 5W20 are both SAE20 when the engine is at normal temperature, but behave different at cold temperatures. The 0 means I think it behaves like X at -35C while the 5 means it behaves like X at -30C or -25C (that part is all weird, in particular since it's not the same properties measured either).

Bottom line, best bang for the buck is:
- Mobil-1 0W20 synth / long run
- Bosch filters
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg81 View Post
... Were those tests done on high mileage vehicles that have used conventional oil up to that point, or were the ones tested with synthetic using synthetic since their initial break-in?
Of the six cars in the test, the dealer used Mobil 1 on 3 and 0W20 Honda oil on the other three. For 5 of the cars, this happened at their second oil change; the 6th car had this done at its 3rd oil change. One of the cars was later involved in an accident so we had do kind of drop it from the sample.

By "high mileage" I meant, vehicles that accumulate a lot of miles/year. My cars were not a suitable candidate since I can go for an entire year before the maintenance minder shows 15% oil life.

Cheers;

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)