Re: Should I buy this Civic Hybrid?
Was this car serviced at a Honda dealer?
If it was then it should have a service history to check up on. The areas I would look for are the typical gripes you should be aware of and can usually have a serious bearing on whether the car will be reliable or not.
Look for the following:
- Software updates. Chances are that if it serviced by a good dealer then the car is up to date and count that as a +1
- CVT servicing (fluid changes and intervals among other servicing) if the service intervals were less than the recommended interval count that as a +1.
- O2 sensor replacements. If one or more were performed then count that as a +1
- Catalytic converter. If servicing and/or replacement was made count as a +1
- EGR valve servicing. If replaced at some point count that as a +1
- If oil and other fluid changes (except the H-CVT) changes were made at recommend intervals count that as a +1
- 12V battery. If it was replaced recently the count that as a +1
If a dealer serviced history is not available or detailed records are not available I would have the unit inspected by a good Honda dealer and have them report on the balance of the warranty including the state of the components and systems I outlined.
If the car fails the due scrutiny in several of these areas then I would feel less compelled to touch it.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children...