User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Start Your Journey Here

Start Your Journey Here Introductions and post the details of your vehicle and commute here. The experts will help get you up to speed by simplifying a lot of the techniques and helping you apply them to your specific situation.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

New to the forum

Tags: , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Vehicles: 1968 mercury cougar
New to the forum

I'd like to say I came about this web site from the Readers Digest article in this issue. I have always had a mind for fuel economy, and I knew that aggressive driving would sacrifice FE more than any other factor. I had no idea there was such a community out here I have learned a lot just reading over some of these threads.

Currently the only car I have is a 68 mercury cougar, before any one gets all excited about that I plan on getting a second more fuel efficient car this summer. Which is one of my questions along with a few other myths or misconceptions I might have.

1. What car would fit my criteria I'm looking to buy a car 10 years old and $3000 - $6000 range that would get ≥30 mpg? (I'm looking to save gas and money)

2. What are peoples thoughts on motorcycles? If its true that 90% of driving is done by solo why not get the lightest frame and smallest engine?

3. As far as hybrids go I have heard rumors of solar panel kits available. Is there kits out there you can purchase and install to charge the battery?

4. Another hybrid question when you brake with a hybrid is there an electric generator assisting on the braking and recharging the battery? Or do the cars have conventional brakes?

5. Last hybrid question why aren't there plugs on hybrids can't we just plug it in at night to charge the battery thus saving that much more gas?

6. last question are there any real electric cars available to the public, I have seen security guards drive around in over sized golf carts but is there something available that can hit speeds needed for normal flow of traffic?
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: New to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

I will let more experienced members address most of your questions but I will try to address 2 of them. First, a motorcycle is a good choice for an alternate more fuel efficient vehicle if your life style and location allows you to use it as a primary source of transportation.

Second, there are many fuel efficient cars in your price range. You may want to take a look at the mileage logs on this forum to get an idea what members are achieving with different vehicles. A few good choices off the top of my head are the Hodnda Civic, Toyota Echo & Corolla, and the Geo Metro & Prizm. I'm sure you will get many valuable suggestions from fellow members.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

Ebo1,

Welcome to CleanMPG!

On your next car, I'd check to see if it has an OBDII socket....that is what Mr GoodWrench uses to reset "Check Engine" when the gas cap is loose and truly serious issues...ScanGage uses the OBDII socket and you get the instant mpg while you drive and more. If it's a 96 or newer, you should be fine.

A Civic VTEC would be a good choice, but not the only one.

Actually, there are lots of things that could be done on a 68 Cougar to inprove the fuel economy....radial tires, adding electronic ignition, add a vaccum gage
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-16-2008, 12:30 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Ebeo1:

___Welcome to CleanMPG!

___Let us get you started with a link if I may.

What if you can’t afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile?

___The older Civic’s certainly can provide great FE but they are usually beat to a living pulp and are not being given away. A used 00 – 03 Toyota Echo is a fuel miser and being newer and usually not beat, it may make for a better buy without the work.

___Motorcycles are great if you are over the safety aspect, year round use and you hold yourself to a 250. The 250’s appear to hold 80 + pretty easily but you start pushing into the 600’s and 55 + is pushing. You do not want to have an accident on one at any time because the results are catastrophic in many cases

___Solar for a std. hybrid is about as useless as it gets. On the vehicle itself, there isn’t enough power to run the A/C let alone drive around on EV. Tied into the home, a std. hybrids (Prius) pack is only large enough to take about 600kWh from the bottom to the top and a Prius or other hybrids will very rarely allow a fully drained pack when you arrive in the drive. A future PHEV on the other hand is an entirely different story wrt a home based PV system. The price however is prohibitive today

___Braking in a hybrid uses both. Electrical at first but if you have to really grab the binders; they will all transition to a full hydraulic like a non-hybrid. 99% of the time, you can bring a hybrid down to under 10 mph with full regen (supplying power to the pack) and the < 10 mph to a stop (generalizing depending on which hybrid here), the hydraulics take over. Brakes and their replacement is not a worry with a hybrid.

___PHEV’s (Plug-in hybrids) are currently conversions. The hybrids you may be somewhat familiar with today are not capable of that and as mentioned above, with the small packs, there is little reason to add a charger given the way a std. hybrid controls the packs SoC (State of Charge or pack power capacity at any given point in time).

___They are called NEV’s or neighborhood electric vehicles. They cost from about $10K on up, do not meet any of the std. safety requirements a car does and are run strictly off the batteries powered from an outlet out of your home. If you have only slow speeds to and from just about anywhere locally, an NEV certainly can work all the while emitting very little in terms of SMOG or GHG’s from the power plant they are supplied from.

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2012 MINI Cooper

A point about "regenerative braking" (using the electric motor as a generator to slow the car down)--This process is very inefficient, and typically captures relatively little of the energy that was used to get up to the higher speed. I think the numbers are something like 10%?? So do not count on regen braking to do much for you.

MCs are a great alternative, but are not feasible for me in my area. There are enough clueless or inattentive drivers around (including, far too often, me!) to make the lack of a metal cage around me worth the extra economy. Sure would be neat if I thought I could, though...

Looks like your other questions have been answered pretty well. I'm a big Honda fan, myself (a double handfull of them in my family over the years; would be more if they didn't last so long! ) so I would consider some form of Civic, probably a hatchback because I like the utility. (My CRX is like a Civic hatch with the rear seat section cut out of the car.)

-soD
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Dave:

___Good point about not using regen when you do not have too. When you have to however, the conversion is about 30% and rising with each new generation.

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2012 MINI Cooper

Wow, that's cool! I'm glad to hear they're getting more and more out of it.

-soD
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Vehicles: 1968 mercury cougar

I have been keeping my eyes open and there is always new adds like this pooping up in my area I'm sure sooner or later I'll come across the one Im looking for. Would this car have the computer plug in that would bee needed for the SG.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/car/610650156.html

I have seen a few truck owners here what trucks do people recommend that could get 30mpg? I should get something with some real utility compared to a car for carrying skis and stuff.

The mercury is just a temporary thing for now I have looked into increasing fe for it but really its cheaper and easier to buy a second smaller car. If there is any one interested I have kept a record on it.

I am interested in learning more about the NEV’s or neighborhood electric vehicles that were mentioned earlier where would I go (website) to look into them?

Last edited by Ebeo1 : 03-18-2008 at 08:38 PM.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2001 Corolla, 2008 Sienna

The car you linked to would not have the OBDII port. Those were standard until 1996. If you're looking for a pick-up, any of the small trucks should work. The Ford Ranger is the choice of a few of us on here.

New to hypermiling?
Want a clinic in central VA? PM me.