User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Honda Civic Hybrid

Honda Civic Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Should I buy this Civic Hybrid?

Tags: , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Should I buy this Civic Hybrid?

Hi guys,

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. The car is supposedly in good condition, it has around 99k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

There's the car in question. I've talked to the owner and run a Carfax on it. Everything seems in order; it was in a minor rear-end accident but is free of frame damage etc. The seller claims that the battery is warrantied til 150k miles. I live in California.

I'm just curious as to whether this would be worth pursuing or not vs. a regular 03-04 Civic.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Answers to "that guy."

Vehicles: 2009 Volvo V70
Re: Should I buy this Civic Hybrid?

For that price, I would take a serious look at it. Not half bad IMO.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM

He says he'd be willing to part with it for $6.5k. I can provide a CarFax to any of you that would like to examine it, in case you can glean more from it than I can.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius

Was this car serviced at a Honda dealer?
If it was then it should have a service history to check up on. The areas I would look for are the typical gripes you should be aware of and can usually have a serious bearing on whether the car will be reliable or not.

Look for the following:
- Software updates. Chances are that if it serviced by a good dealer then the car is up to date and count that as a +1
- CVT servicing (fluid changes and intervals among other servicing) if the service intervals were less than the recommended interval count that as a +1.
- O2 sensor replacements. If one or more were performed then count that as a +1
- Catalytic converter. If servicing and/or replacement was made count as a +1
- EGR valve servicing. If replaced at some point count that as a +1
- If oil and other fluid changes (except the H-CVT) changes were made at recommend intervals count that as a +1
- 12V battery. If it was replaced recently the count that as a +1

If a dealer serviced history is not available or detailed records are not available I would have the unit inspected by a good Honda dealer and have them report on the balance of the warranty including the state of the components and systems I outlined.
If the car fails the due scrutiny in several of these areas then I would feel less compelled to touch it.

Cheers;

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed and helpful reply.

The hybrid does have the most recent software updates.

The dealer serviced the CVT, and Carfax says it was serviced at the dealer every 4-7k miles.

Catalytic converter was recently replaced by the dealer.

The current owner recently replaced the 12v battery.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning (12~ hours from now).
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vehicles: 3x2007 Prius, 2010 + 2011 Prius

Well, based on your answer the car is beginning to look more and more like a good deal to me. Hopefully, you'll get a better idea of its cosmetic state when you look at it tomorrow.

Good luck

MSantos

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. (Eric Hoffer)