User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Honda Civic Hybrid

Honda Civic Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

CalPod for HCH-I MT?

Tags: , ,

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Vehicles: 2004 Civic Hybrid, 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (both MT)
Re: CalPod for HCH-I MT?

Oh I'm having fun with my new toy (my Calpod switch)!!!
Got my SoC all the way up (is that 20 bars?) for the first time, and avoiding forced regen seemed to help on my FE, but it will take more time (and my getting familiar) to know for sure. I'll try using in in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but not in 4th or 5th as you suggested.

BTW I should make a correction to my earlier statement regarding the Neutral Position Switch (NPS). I got that backwards when I said "continuity in any gear." It is the other way around continuity means in neutral (and my jumper wire on the connector to that switch provided continuity simulating the trans in neutral). Sorry about that - just wanted to clear that up in case anybody tries the NPS route to freedom-of-forced-regen, and you-get-to-decide when assist comes in.

Can't wait to drive home...
LowAndSlow
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Vehicles: '03 HCH manual, 98 Honda Civic EX auto

LowAndSlow, do you still find the switch helpful and, if so, any pictures/instructions so I could do the same to my car?

#13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Vehicles: 2004 Civic Hybrid, 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (both MT)

Mr Pancake,
Yes I find it helpful. I try to plan ahead and coast as much as possible up to lights and stop signs, etc. Therefore I don't use regen braking enough to replenish the IMA enough to offset the assist -happy nature of mine especially in town where a lot of starts and stops means a lot of assist even when I try to minimize it. I've been able to completely avoid any forced regen. It seemed to be improving my mileage maybe 1 or 2 mpg on the first half of this tank (the second half has some unusual driving conditions that reduced my mileage so it will take more time to determine the true effect). And the way I'm using it I think it might help the IMA pack last longer since I'm not getting-into-it as much as before. I can use it selectively where I can benefit the most but not many of the times it really isn't required.
I don't have any pics but I suggest searching for Delta's post on Calpod for dummies or something like that. He has some nice pictures and I did mine just like he did (except for not having MIMA to factor in) meaning I just inserted and taped wires into the clutch switch connector so no damage to wire harness and the clutch switch still works as it should whether my toggle is on or off. If you can't find his post, let me know and I will take some pics for you.
LowAndSlow
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks, found the post. I might try it this weekend, looks simple enough. Here's the link in case any one else wants it: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...ghlight=calpod

#15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Went to the auto parts store this morning and bought a switch. Pretty easy to install. I mounted the switch in one of the accesory blanks by the auxillary power plug. I bought a "racing" style switch with a plastic red cover that has to be flipped up before you can flip the actual switch, I find it amusing. I only took a little test drive to check out the new mod but I like it a lot and think it will be very useful. Acceleration isn't all that bad without assist, not fast by any means, but not as bad as I thought it might be.

#16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Excellent!! Success in both an '04 and an '03!!

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Lowandslow and Mr. Pancake:

___Excellent news!!! Now the fun is really going to begin

___Please post some pics when you have the time as it sounds like the Clutch switch mod is far easier to install in an HCH-I than it is in an Insight-I.

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: Honda Insight 1 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandslow View Post
BTW I should make a correction to my earlier statement regarding the Neutral Position Switch (NPS). I got that backwards when I said "continuity in any gear." It is the other way around continuity means in neutral (and my jumper wire on the connector to that switch provided continuity simulating the trans in neutral). Sorry about that - just wanted to clear that up in case anybody tries the NPS route to freedom-of-forced-regen, and you-get-to-decide when assist comes in.

Can't wait to drive home...
LowAndSlow
I wonder if the NPS trick works on the late model Insight 1. Anyone tried that yet?

Also, anyone have a good explanation for why the CalPod doesn't work on these cars?
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Jim, it appears the programming was changed for '05 and up models. It would certainly be worth trying the NPS hack to see if it worked for your car -- if it did that would be a relatively cheap mechanism to accomplish assist free driving.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!