Raw results converted to mpg's:
1. Darin Cosgrove, 2000 Insight: 76.12 mpg.
2. Mike Kamm, 1997 Geo Metro: 64.43 mpg.
3. William Morin, 1999 Toyota Tercel: 53.33 mpg.
4. Francis Reid, 2005 Toyota Echo: 50.80
5. Jeff Dungen, 1992 Toyota Levin GT Apex: 50.15 mpg.
6. Luc Lachambre, 2013 Smart ForTwo: 48.90 mpg.
7. Patrice Quenneville, 2008 Smart ForTwo: 46.03 mpg.
8. Ken Snowman, 1990 VW "FrankenJetta": 43.88 mpg.
9. Chris Werner, 1997 Saturn SW2 wagon [with four passengers]: 41.19 mpg.
10. Nathalie Wing, 2010 Smart ForTwo: 40.14 mpg.
11. Stephanie Beaulieu, 2009 Smart ForTwo: 39.93 mpg.
1. Frederic Bedard, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 73.50 mpg.
2. Marc-Andre' Lajeunesse, 2006 Smart ForTwo: 62.22 mpg.
3. Michel Cuerrier, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 57.95 mpg.
4. Martin Boisvert, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 48.30 mpg.
1. Mathieu Laframboise, 2012 Toypta Prius C: 58.07 mpg.
For the third straight year we had perfect weather! Kudo's to Jeff and the SMCC for another great event up north.
The overall winner was...
Darin Cosgrove of Ecomodder.com. He won overall this year with his 2000 Honda Insight. It is a very efficient car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics. And Darin knows how to get every bit of efficiency out of it!
I couldn't have been more pleased with second overall in my "refurbished" stock '97 Geo Metro. The nice thing about this event is that it uses the same route each time so you can compare your results from year to year. I've run in all three events and these are my raw mpg results to date:
2010 - 2.0L '93 Sentra SE-R: 57.74 mpg
2011 - 1.4L '77 Datsun B210: 60.40 mpg
2012 - 1.0 L '97 Geo Metro: 64.43 mpg.
There is more good news, participation for this event was up again this year. The number of vehicles competing:
2010 - 6 cars
2011 - 10 cars
2012 - 16 cars
My Metro parked next to Ken Snowman's wild 1990 gas powered "FrankenJetta".
Check out Francis Reid's Toyota Echo. I love wild aero mods!
They called this car the Duck Nose Echo.
Underneath view. He had a full belly pan and side skirts like I had on my SE-R last year. This thing was cool!
The turnout from Team Smart Quebec was very impressive with no less than 8 entries. Four were gas powered and the other four were with the .8 liter diesels. The best one was a diesel driven by Frederic Bedard, at a great 73.50 mpg.
Organizer Jeff Dungen's rare RHD Toyota Levin Apex GT had it's best outing ever at 50.15 mpg. This is with a high performance 20 valve 1.6 liter engine with individual throttle bodies!