Faster, easier, a new parking meter timer, car finder and vehicle diagnostics are brand new.
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
- May 15, 2012
Hyundai's BlueLink is just the beginning.
” generation automobile offers new technology and in the past 5 + years, that also means more connected.
Enter Hyundai’s Blue Link
Blue Link allows you to connect to your Hyundai automobile and its surrounds through your Smartphone, from within your future Hyundai or via the web. It is an all-new telematics platform that offer s more than 30 unique connectivity features on near future Hyundai models.
Hyundai introduced its latest mobile application for the Hyundai-developed Blue Link telematics platform. The mobile app allows subscribers to remotely access various Blue Link features and services through compatible smartphones. Completely redesigned, the app has been significantly enhanced from the previous version with faster navigation and innovative new features. Google Android and Apple iOS users can download the app today from Google Play or Apple iTunes, respectively. A Blackberry version is also in development.
Blue Link® Mobile App Highlights
- Completely redesigned interface and navigation
- Swipe gestures allow quick access to core features
- Remotely access many Blue Link® features found on MyHyundai.com
- Manage multiple Blue-Link-enrolled vehicles
- Remotely control vehicle functions: Door lock/unlock, horn & lights, lights-only and remote vehicle start (not available on all models)
- Search, save and send POIs to vehicles for in-car navigation
- Innovative new features: car finder, parking meter/timer and vehicle diagnostics
- Remotely manage Blue Link alerts and notifications
Blue Link is Hyundai’s telematics solution combining safety, service and infotainment into a single package.
The refreshed app is only the beginning of a series of enhancements planned around Blue Link.
New User Interface
Navigation elements are designed to reduce the steps needed to access Blue Link features and services by leveraging familiar Smartphone touch commands. A new swipe carousel allows users to quickly access core features without needing to take several steps
. Shortcut buttons allow one-touch access to vehicle diagnostics and POIs while the main menu allows one-finger access to all features within the application.
Blue Link Essentials subscribers can access a number of key vehicle functions remotely from the mobile application without the need to be in the proximity of the vehicle. Remote Door Lock or unlock allows for remote control and convenience from virtually anywhere. Remote Horn & Lights allows the subscriber to remotely activate the horn and lights. Remote Lights allows subscriber to remotely activate the vehicle lights only. Remote Vehicle Start, which has been expanded to include more Hyundai models, allows the subscriber to remotely start their vehicle, an especially convenient feature in cold states during winter months. Vehicles equipped with push-button start and automatic or dual-clutch transmissions are supported for Remote Vehicle Start. For added security, all remote access features require the vehicle PIN to be entered prior to the command being sent.
New POI Functionality
The new Blue Link allows the ability to search POIs using the Smartphone’s on-screen keyboard by entering the name, city, state and/or zip. Searches can be done using the Smartphone’s built-in location service or by manually specifying the location. POIs then can be saved to the phone for quick access. Subscribers also have the ability to send the POI directly to their Hyundai vehicle or by email to a friend through the application. POIs sent to the vehicle also may be saved for later use via the POI History function.
Blue Link-equipped vehicles are not required to have a touch-screen navigation system to take advantage of Guidance features
! Vehicles not equipped with touch-screen navigation will display navigation information on the standard vehicle audio screen using Blue Link’s Turn-by-Turn feature.
The new mobile app also includes speed dial buttons to contact Roadside Assistance and Blue Link. A new Vehicle Diagnostics screen provides access to critical maintenance information and the ability to view their Monthly Vehicle Report. Essentials subscribers can easily schedule a service appointment with their preferred dealer without making a phone call. Blue Link alerts also can be toggled remotely from within the application.
A new built-in Parking Meter/Timer function allows a countdown for the need to “feed the meter”. Car Finder allows Essentials subscribers to either search for their vehicle if they are within a 1-mile radius of their vehicle or save its location. While you may not have lost a car in a public area ever before, I have and this feature would have come in very handy indeed.
Blue Link annual subscription pricing for its Assurance, Essentials (includes Assurance), and Guidance (includes Assurance and Essentials) packages.
Hyundai Blue Link Pricing Details
|Blue Link Package||Complimentary Blue Link Service Period||Complimentary Blue Link with Automatic Renewal *|
|Assurance||6 months||12 months|
|Essentials||3 months||6 months|
|Guidance||3 months||6 months|
* New owners may elect for Blue Link automatic renewal within the first 30 days of ownership.
After the complimentary introductory period, customers have three attractive pricing options based on length of service agreement.
One-Year - $79
Two-Year - $139
Three-Year - $198
Assurance & Essentials
One-Year - $179
Two-Year - $315
Three-Year - $448
Assurance, Essentials & Guidance
One-Year - $279
Two-Year - $491
Three-Year - $699
Hyundai Blue Link Highlights
Blue Link telematics platform will offer connectivity, convenience and safety services including Agent-assisted advanced voice recognition system provides a new approach to performing in-vehicle POI searches vs. voice-recognition-only systems, or traditional operators.
Blue Link services will be standard on all Blue Link-equipped models for a free trial period of six months for Assurance and three months for both Essentials and Guidance; this free service period will be doubled if the customer signs up for auto renewal.
A variety of features will be available at launch, including unique applications such as “Service Link” that helps drivers schedule service at their Hyundai dealer; an “Eco-Coach” that improves efficient driving; restaurant ratings; and remote door lock/unlock capabilities. Blue Link’s innovative features continue with remote vehicle start (late availability), which allows a driver to start their Hyundai vehicle so it can be warmed up or cooled down before driving; Geo-Fence, which can send a notification if a driver has ventured outside prescribed borders or time constraints; and stolen vehicle slowdown to help police recover a stolen vehicle.
Blue Link Assurance further expands Hyundai’s industry leadership formerly established by Hyundai Assurance, the industry’s most comprehensive suite of new-vehicle protection. Hyundai Assurance already offers a 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable bumper-to-bumper warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, 5-years complimentary Roadside Assistance.
Blue Link Assurance package
Blue Link Essentials package
- Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Assistance - Provides immediate assistance when an accident occurs and an airbag is deployed. In this event, an ACN signal, containing customer and location information, will automatically be transmitted to the response center. Upon receipt of the signal, a response specialist will attempt to establish voice communications with the vehicle occupants and forward any pertinent information to emergency services.
- SOS Emergency Assistance - Customers request emergency 911 assistance by pressing the dedicated SOS button in the vehicle. This action transmits vehicle information and location to specially-trained response specialists, who assist in coordinating the dispatch of appropriate emergency assistance to the customer. The response specialist remains on the line with the customer until advised assistance has arrived.
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance - Enables customers to contact Roadside Assistance via a single in-vehicle button-press. Vehicle information (including location) is automatically transmitted to a response center, enabling the specialist to dispatch assistance more quickly and efficiently for vehicle assistance and retrieval.
- Monthly Vehicle Report – Provides monthly reporting of vehicle systems status via the Blue Link website and/or via email if desired by owners.
- Quick Tips – Provides quick reference assistance for primary vehicle feature location and function.
- Location Sharing - Enables sending vehicle location to select friends and members of social networking sites, including Facebook - directly from the vehicle.
- Voice Text Messaging – Enables hands-free text messaging to SMS text recipients, using the innovative Agent-Assisted Voice Recognition system allowing for natural speech messages.
- Mobile App – Available for download and access to remote services and account information. It is available for popular devices such as iPhones, Android, and Blackberry devices.
- Remote Door Lock/Unlock - Enables locking or unlocking vehicle doors via a toll-free number, owner's website, or mobile phone application.
- Remote Horn and Lights - Enables activating the horn and/or lights via a toll-free number, owner's website, or mobile phone application.
- Remote Vehicle Start - Enables customers to start the vehicle via owner's website or toll-free number, or mobile phone application. (late availability)
- Service Link – Provides convenient link to schedule service at a Hyundai dealer and to send the dealer a recorded message of requested services in advance of the visit.
Vehicle Self Diagnostics
- Automated Diagnostic Trouble Code Notification - Provides explanation assistance using vehicle data and off-board diagnosis capabilities to better inform the customer of vehicle trouble alerts. A combination of in-vehicle display alerts and guided voice messages provides customers with additional instructions (information also sent to the customer's preferred dealer to assist with the repair process).
- Maintenance Alert - Notifies customers via website, email or SMS message that an upcoming service is due at various thresholds leading up to the event. Configured online, the alerts explain what is included in particular maintenance intervals.
- Recall Advisor – Provides all pertinent recall information should a recall be initiated.
- Web Vehicle Diagnostics - Provides a report of vehicle diagnostics, eco-coach performance and other important information in a monthly email report and web page update, starting 30 days after registering with the Blue Link service.
- Valet Alert – Enables alert via text message or automated phone message if a valet driver takes a customer’s vehicle and moves beyond a prescribed region.
- Geo-Fence - Enables monitoring of vehicle movement in and out of pre-defined regions configured on the owner’s website. When the vehicle enters or leaves a designated region, the customer is notified by email, text message or automated phone message.
- Speed Alert - Notifies the customer via email, text message or automated phone message when their vehicle exceeds the specified speed threshold established on the owner's website. This feature is often appreciated by parents of teen drivers and fleet customers.
- Curfew - Alerts owners if the vehicle is being used outside a pre-determined time interval. Alerts are configured online and sent via text message and/or automated phone message.
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery - In the event a customer's vehicle is reported stolen (and a stolen vehicle report has been filed with the appropriate police department), the response center can provide assistance to the police in an attempt to recover the vehicle.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown - Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to gradually reduce the engine power of the vehicle, thus slowing it down to safe levels. A warning will be transmitted to the driver prior to the slowdown procedure.
- Vehicle Immobilization - Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to send a signal to the vehicle which immobilizes the engine management system, thus preventing startup. This capability is only valid when the ignition is off, but the command can be saved by the engine ECU for later immobilization if the vehicle is on or in motion at the time of signal transmission.
- Panic Notification - Notifies customers when the panic button on their vehicle key fob has been activated, signifying when a family member or other vehicle occupant may be in danger. Notifications are configured online and occur via email or text message.
- Alarm Notification - Notifies customers when and where the vehicle alert is activated via a text message, email or an automated phone call.
- Turn-by-Turn Navigation Service - Provides graphical and audible directions to a downloaded destination in vehicles that do not have on–board navigation systems.
- POI Search by Advanced Voice Recognition System - Enables Point-of-Interest searches using an automated voice system. Results can be downloaded to the vehicles for turn-by turn or on-board navigation system. This powerful tool can help you find destinations ranging from very specific street addresses like “1600 Pennsylvania Ave” to general searches like “pharmacy” or “sushi.”
- POI Download from Websites – Allows owner-directed download of point-of-interest data from selected websites.
- Daily Route Guidance with Traffic Condition - Enables customers to pre-define several routes to a common destination and receive a regularly-scheduled traffic alert for traffic delays along those routes. Results include flow and incident data, along with "Fastest Route" recommendation.
- Traffic Information - Provides traffic information surrounding the customer's vehicle and in the nearby area, based on preferences established using the owner’s website.
- Gas Station Locations and Gas Prices - Locates nearby gas stations with the lowest prices. Results are played back via automated voice, and can be downloaded to the vehicle’s navigation system.
- Eco-Coach - Tracks the customer's driving performance habits (MPG and CO2 emissions) on a continual and historical basis. Results and environmentally responsible driving recommendations are provided on the owner’s website. Customers can compete in a Blue Link community of drivers.
- Restaurant Ratings – Provides a tool to search for local restaurants with the highest ratings. The address can be downloaded for turn-by-turn navigation or onboard navigation.
- Weather - Provides weather forecasts and alerts for the immediate area or for customer-defined “favorite” locations within the owner website.
All told, one of the better ones gets even better! Now darn it, where did I place my smartphone as I have a new app to load