User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » The Daily Grind

The Daily Grind Use this forum to highlight your MPG efforts behind the wheel. Any memorable trips, good days, bad days they all belong here.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Week of May 7th - May 13th, 2012 (Nat Avg $3.80)

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT
Re: Week of May 7th - May 13th, 2012 (Nat Avg $3.80)

Thanks, guys!

I didn't do as well on the way home (expected after all this time driving it in the Insight) but didn't do horribly. The temp was a bit higher but the wind fought me the entire way back. Once home I discovered the tires were all set at 35PSI. That is "repaired" now.

Still, it was a blast to drive even with low tire pressure!

55F, 11mph cross/headwind from the WNW, sunny:

5.8 mi/kWh over 14.8 mi --> 194.6 MPGe

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM

Vehicles: 06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi Sport, 10 Honda Jazz (Fit) 1.2 Si

Fantastic numbers Sean - how do they compare to EPA? You'll soon think sub 200 is terrible!

Thanks for the explanation Kirk, I like the sound of the wienie run

...and again, another non-driving day for me. I save loads of fuel car pooling, I reckon about 4700+ miles on the commute or between $800 to $900 a year in diesel at our inflated prices.

Best Tank: 56.6 (6/14) Longest tank: 815.5 (9/13)
Best trip: 116.4 / 1.7 (8/14)
  #23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Hedonist Beginner Biker

Vehicles: Hyosung GV250

Hi people! Another tank from me It's a busy month.

82.563 US MPG (269.8 miles)

Not bad, considering
- I rode together with others in Austria. Hills are wonderful and I could glide extremely lot in the last leg of that together-with-16-other-bikes part (1/3 of the whole time I guess - perfect slopes, slowness in villages and whatnot) but I simply couldn't avoid braking now and then, the ones before me brake way too heavily and I kept a distance but there's a limit you know... But I'm content with myself, they breaked, like, all the time (every turn and the whole trip was a series of turns) and I did it rarely
- The second part was back home in the dark. We chose a straight national road and went moderately quickly without any hypermiling (we just glided a bit before villages/towns). P&G is tiring, the glide part is but a few seconds and it's not effective for my bike at this speed, and I wasn't just tired, I was worried because my baby bike had a loose and dry chain
- The third part was on bigger roads as well, no hills, again.
- I have no idea about tire pressure, I definitely will check it tomorrow.

Maintenance is over ~ My bike is in top form again, except maybe the tire pressure. No bad sign but maybe it's not ideal.
Transmission didn't change (it was the plan but there was a lil problem so it will be later this year) but Ciliegia got a new windshield... Well I think it's too short so I share Alvaro's experience about strong wind on my helmet. But wind don't keep me from high speed on windy days, it's more comfortable. The mechanic said airdrag should be better now, bigger shields lower FE, not this one.
We'll see.
I'm really curious about my (and Alvaro's) numbers on the 48-hour tour, there will be 5 tanks!
I want better results from now on.

On the way home I experienced I'm MUCH better now, I take turns quicker and I'm brave/confident and with a reason at that. It's good, I usually brake because I get scared of some turns... (I ride little in cities.) Even if I glide, it's not so much fun and I'm as a hedonist even NEED fun to be good. Even my bread turns out worse if my mood isn't good :P

Best tank: 2.644 L/100km (88.965 US MPG)

I ride and hypermile for FUN!
  #24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Hi, Gord! Most people seem to get in the 3.5 mi/kWhr range. Reversing the formula I'm using to get MPGe and using the EPA combined rating of 99, it seems the EPA rates it at 2.9 mi/kWhr.

Guess I'm still a hypermiler, eh?

Way to go shiNIN!! I'm sure you'll continue to get better every day you ride.

It is cooler this morning but I managed to equal yesterday's commute.

46F, 3mph tailwind from the NNW, clear:
  • 14.8mi @ 6.0mi/kWhr --> 201.36 MPGe

New? Start here!
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Sean... that's just ridiculous!

It was POURING rain on the way home last night. We got 2.5 inches in about an hour, on top of Monday's 1 inch. We're good and wet now.

70.0 mpg - home in the rain
87.3 - to school and work this morning

The tank is still steady at 80.8 / 853 mi and 1/4 remaining.
  #26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Vehicles: 2011 Ford Fiesta ses 5m

I only did 80.3 miles yesterday before the wienie run, then I filled the tank and headed home to get my son. He didn't want to go, so it was a solo run.

Including the run home from the gas station, the wienie run, and the ride back home I put on another 68.5 miles.

46.01/162.3 miles for the fill up on the bike. I've never done better than 42 with this bike before. I blame the increased mileage on anticipatory driving learned here. I still am not making any attempt to hypermile the bike.

The next fill will be way less. The wienie run was all hard throttle and sudden braking. Not unlike ShiNIN's run, riding with that many other bikes doesn't help FE.

#27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Vehicles: 97 Solectria Force EV, 07 Accord Hybrid

Busy conditioning 56 new 100 AH lithium cells, one at a time. Sort of like watching a TV test pattern if your old enough to have watched the excitement.

two drives on the 7th
4.2 mi @ 192.2 MPGe
4.4 mi @ 180.6 MPGe

drive on the 8th
3.95 mi @ 202 MPGe

Mike
  #28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Homura-chan's selfishness

Vehicles: BMW F650CS, Toyota Yaris 1.0

Yesterday we took Ciliegia to Budapest, to have the 30k km maintenance. While the mechanic was working on shiNIN's bike, we went on a 2-up trip (and stopped for a pizza) to see a bit of the kind of roads waiting us this weekend (this kind = small, twisty, bad quality). We had much stop&crawl, crawl&crawl, stop&wait traffic while we crossed Budapest twice (I stopped the engine dozens of times), then went through a couple of busy towns until we reached the Dunakanyar (Danube bend) so I'll at least the quarter of this tank will be city driving. May be the third... and 200km of 2-up. I'll be curious of this tank. I'll learn the numbers tomorrow, but I won't post until Monday evening (when I get back - right to work in a night shift...).

I did the oil/filter change on Teresa myself at home. It was dark and I spilled a bit, now I don't really know what should I do with the polluted soil, maybe I take it to a fuel station just like the used oil.

They reached these round numbers almost at once, on the way back.

OK, I've already packed most of the things I think I'll need, now I'm off for this long weekend. I'll be back with several tanks (unless I'll have to combine them thanks to the different method I'll use to measure FE during the 48-hour run...), but I'm not sure about the photos...

Last edited by alvaro84 : 05-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Thanks, Andrew! I actually discovered while showing the car to a coworker during lunch that the center console and the gauge cluster readout don't agree on the efficiency of my last trip. The center gauge reads 6.2mi/kWhr (208 MPGe) and that's a direct comparison to what I read for yesterday morning's trip (so I did 0.2 mi/kWhr better this morning ) but now I don't know which readout to trust as more indicative of the actual consumption.

Kirk, you really do rack up the miles!

Mike, once those LIon batteries are installed you'll leave me in the dust almost certainly. It is hard to compensate for a huge weight loss like that!!

Good luck, Alvaro!!

New? Start here!
  #30   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Super MPG Man/god :D

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2000 Honda Insight 5MT

It was 52F this morning and the wind was NW@ 5 mph.This afternoon it was 61F and wind was NW@ 15-20 mph.
129.0 11.8-to work
113.5 11.9-back home
Day Total: 120.7mpg over 23.7 miles. The tank is up to 113.9 over 576.2 with 12/13 bars of 20 on the gauge.