User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Kia

Kia Making every mile count - Discussions about Kia and Kia automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

New '12 optima owner

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT
Re: New '12 optima owner

Very nice pictures!!

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Vehicles: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD auto 4wd quad cab

thankie! lookin forward to what my first tankful is going to come out to. :-)

#13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Practicing true conservatism!

Vehicles: 2005 Kia Spectra EX 5spd, 2006 Honda Accord LX-SE VTEC 5spd, 2007 Kymco People S 250

Very cool! This "would" have been our new car had we had the cash for it! We "settled" for an 06 Accord, but it has a stick.

Best Segment - 76.5 MPG / 2.8 mi
Best Tank - 748.6mi @ 45.1 MPG 11/11/12

New to the site? Start here! Welcome to CleanMPG Primer
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM

Im excited! Already put 4 full size people in the car. 3 of us were over 6ft, and everyone was quite comfortable.

Do wish it had a stick tho. test drove a kia soul with a stick.. was tempting but no cruise, and wrong color. Plus im not a fan of the looks at All.

#15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM

in terms of a glide say to a stoplight or stop sign (there is a lot on my commute that I cant avoid), am I better off leaving it in gear, or putting it into N? i know some cars shut the injectors off when u leave it in gear and let the momentum of the vehicle continue spinning the engine without consuming fuel.. hence the question. it definitely glides farther in N than in gear though.

Thanks

#16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

If your commute is short, the engine may never get warm enough for fuel cut. Also, fuel cut tends to occur when the car is moving at highway speeds and then it holds down to about 30mph. Around town when the engine is fully warmed, you can get fuel cut down to about 25mph, although on my car, I have to lift my foot abruptly off the accelerator rather than easing off.

Gliding in N is the best choice if you are off the pedal early enough to make the most of the longer gliding distance. If you're below 25mph, you won't see fuel cut and so the longer NICE-on distance is what you want if you want to make the most of the car's momentum.

It also bears repeating that acceleration should be easy enough to keep the tach near or below 2 as you leave those stop signs, and then coast as needed to time the lights. Smart braking is also a good strategy to try to keep the big car rolling as much as possible.

#17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM

so it does have fuel cut?

my commute is about 13 miles. plenty of time for engine to warm up. especially since its already in the 70s at 6am here now.

highway speeds meaning above apprx 45mph i take it? i checked my 'avg mph' in my car today, after 300 miles of driving, and it showed 27mph lol. the part that kills my mpg (only showing 32.5mpg on the avg tripmeter) is getting onto base, and then driving on base. its all stop signs on base, and to get on base I have to go through a huge line of stop/go at the gate.

thanks maxx

#18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

Yes, it does have fuel cut, and with the engine at operating temperature (one pip under half on the temp gage), and speed over about 40mph, the injectors will cut off and the car will downshift as needed to keep rpm over about 1200.

Your average speed of 27 is about right. Most cars will display and average mph between 20 and 30 thanks to today's dense thicket of stop signs and poorly timed traffic lights.

Your 32.5mpg average is above EPA for mixed driving, and it will improve a bit as the car logs some more miles. The gage is probably a little optimistic but you're still over 30mpg. You may want to use Google Maps or mile markers to figure out how far underclocked your odometer is so you can determine actual miles for fuel economy calculations. My guess is that it's about 2% under, but it varies.

Not much you can do about stop signs but you can minimize the damage by accelerating to a speed that allows you to glide the majority of the distance to the next stop sign. As a condolence, consider how much fuel you are saving compared to FSPs that roar from one red octagon to the next, with the driver firmly flooring one of the two pedals.

Here is a brief video of Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro demonstrating how *not* to drive from light to light - http://youtu.be/117FZnev4Os?t=28s
That segment of the movie was recorded in Port Washington, NY - not too far from where I live. And I can say that most local residents drive as shown in the movie.

#19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 PM

ok thanks maxx. good to know i appreciate it!

left it at dealership, and they let it idle for a while.. so it messed up my avg. ended up just filling it up to get a better baseline. came out to 29.4mpg tho.

#20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM

in regards to that video.. its sad but true.

i love it when people hauuulllll past me cuttin people off etc, and then I pass them as they are stuck in whatever lane they ended up in. lol.

i have a friend that drives like that... he followed me to my house from his, he has a 4wd ecoboost f150 that he averages 17mpg with, following me he got 24mpg. he had never gotten that good.