User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Motorcycle Owners Community » General

General General motorcycle discussion and overview including questions and concerns.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Yet another smaller adventure topic

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Homura-chan's selfishness

Vehicles: BMW F650CS, Toyota Yaris 1.0
Re: Yet another smaller adventure topic

The second day started adventurously... the shape and softness of Teresa's rear tire was more than suspicious... Rode her to the next gas station and diagnosed the reason for the flat tire. And had to find a way to repair it on the 1st of May which was also Sunday Finally we could get a spray at the local ÖAMTC, and it worked very well. Now we could go to Leoben to visit our other interest: the Justice Center of Leoben.

Just imagine a school looking like this... it's creepy enough for a prison

The Leoben view:

The town isn't beautiful at all, but at least it's among nice hills.

On the way back we filled up the bikes (Teresa's average became 2.98l/100km between low fuel lights, it had clearly improved since I found the battery contact problem... Ciliegia was at 3.01l/100km) then headed back to Hungary. Of course the rain catched us, then we catched the rain, some hail, a storm in Hungary, and some more rain.

We stopped for a few minutes after the hail, because the view was truly breathtaking from above, clouds were floating in the valleys below us:

We had another stop to eat at Mad Mex (Vép, Hungary), a very good Mexican restaurant.
I just had to take the following pics:

Yup, it doesn't make sense without knowing this video:

Homura-chan subbed

I don't know the averages from the way back as the low fuel light hasn't come out yet, but it may not be that good: we took many main roads just riding at the speed limit, with no particular tricks and we got pretty much rain too (and some strong wind around the border). Could coast while descending the mountains, but that didn't take too long.

Last edited by alvaro84 : 05-06-2012 at 11:47 PM.
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Mass Psychology Exercise

It surely wasn't a regular trip of ours. This time we rode through the Eastern part of Austria with a caravan of 17+ motorcycles and I surely couldn't do my best, I even got pretty exhausted mentally, but I can say that I've learned much.

I did not take any pictures on the way there. We crossed the Bakony again, which is one of my favourite parts of our country, but this time we did so in pouring rain all the way so I was preoccupied with being soaked and cold. The forecast and present radar picture denied the slightest possibility of rain so we left our rain suits at home. It was a bad idea - we got more than a hundred kilometers of it

Before arriving the pension I though I won't go anywhere that day, just stay inside and dry myself. But it turned out otherwise. At least I could dry my riding pants and jacket in the wind. My boots were hopeless, they stayed wet through the whole weekend.

But the first day's program turned out very nice, so I had no regrets in the end. We saw a lamp museum, with strange contraptions, like this one:

This is a Russian lamp, which was used in very remote locations, and they cleverly packed a lot of functions in it. It was not just a lamp, but water boiler for their tea and on the top of it, it had a Peltier generator inside, to power the radio

I hope I can get a picture somewhere of the "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer" matchbox which could be used to light the 2nd world war era kerosene lamp, because I couldn't get a picture of it

We had a look at the lake Fertő (Neusiedler See in German) from both the Hungarian and the Austrian side, we crossed the border the place where the iron fence was first broken in 1989.

(Boat houses on the Hungarian side)

(The view of the lake near a stone mine in Austria)

(And the view of a different direction from the same hilltop)

The next day we started on the Hungarian side again (and tanked the bikes - it was enough for everyone, except for a bike with 5-liter tank), at Kőszeg:

A Brasilian guy joined our ride, with a bike covered with military green leather:

And we crossed the border again near the town and met the first castle, Lockenhaus (Léka):

The next leg was when I touched the bottom. I felt I couldn't smooth out the idiotic accordion motion of the caravan, I used the brakes many times, and I was mentally exhausted. I felt that my science failed me. shiNIN's wise words brought me the Zen here and I became much better. Seriously. From that point I didn't care about the formation, it could care about itself

Anyway, the castle of Güssing and the view:

(And a few Porsche cars in the courtyard)

We had lunch too, which could also help a bit

The next castle we visited was Stadtschlaining (Városszalónak), what I've already seen (but shiNIN hasn't):

(HUGE flower bush)

(Glass bottles as the symbol of peace)

(Camouflage )

We didn't have much time here so I couldn't get down the castle trench, just like last time (we were chased by the rain clouds back then). We went on to our last appointed destination, Bernstein (Borostyánkő = amber stone), where the noble serpentin, "Jade of Austria" was mined. They had a mining themed museum full of minerals and crystals there, I couldn't help taking more pictures than the whole day before.

(Die Sonne / The Sun; A sculpture at the entrance)

(Opal)

(Mine elevator)

(And mine trains; they can carry much more stone than the dogs(!) they used in the medieval times)

And the evening sky after we came back to Hungary:

And the numbers: my two tanks with Teresa were 2.82l/100km and 2.74l/100km | 83.34mpgUS and 85.75mpgUS.

#23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Thanks Alvaro, that was very enjoyable. A peltier lamp, those crazy russians !

The youtube link has been taken down..
  #24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Fantastic photos as usual!

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys - I don't have too many photos about our next tour - the 4th 48-hour run in Hungary.

All of them have been thematic so far, this one was about the hills (I wouldn't really call mountains anything in Hungary, since Trianon, 1920) of our country - we rode as close to all the highest peaks of every area as possible on paved roads.

We started in the Southwest part of Hungary, so we visited a friend who lives very close to the start. The village is called Hosszúhetény and it became the first stop of the run too, being the closest to the highest peak of Mecsek.

This was the place I had some time to take a few pictures on our hike the day before the start.

We spent the night in the village then filled the tanks at the gas station closest to the start. I also took pictures about the odometers, and these, like most of the other pictures, are purely documentary.

To tell the truth, I still don't know how can I take pictures during riding, if I don't want to waste

a.) fuel (if I see something I have to brake to stop there and not much later from where it'd take several minutes to walk back in a hot riders' outfit)
b.) time (of which we didn't have too much)

The trip was a challenge, I wanted to try my stamina and navigation skills. I turned the wrong way a few times, it wasn't surprising. What was - that how few and small mistakes I made compared to many others in the same run

So here come the few I took for the pictures themselves:

But we've seen many beautiful places in this tiny country, where we absolutely have to go back. We've trodden a lot of fantastic roads and incredibly bad ones too. I've learned a lot, or it may not be the best word, but I've surely improved at a lot of things.

About being the best at fuel economy - well, all the others who wrote about the run, wrote numbers from worlds apart. Except for shiNIN, who beat me in the end. All her tanks were a little better than my ones, except for the last one, which was worse because of the strong wind and the hurry of the last day. Which proved to be the trickiest part, with the worst, narrow bumpy roads, one of them I don't want to see anymore, even in my nightmares: the road is one lane "wide", it's full of huge potholes, gravel, broken twigs and surprise sharp turns... it's outright dangerous.

The numbers for the trip itself are (they're different to the log in Teresa's case due to the fill-to-fill method I used instead of the usual light-to-light one):

Ciliegia:

12.45l for 462.5km - 2.69l/100km = 87.379 US MPG
13.11l for 489.8km - 2.68l/100km = 87.878 US MPG
12.47l for 455.3km - 2.74l/100km = 85.88 US MPG
4.83l for 158.3km - 3.05l/100km = 77.115 US MPG (estimated - somewhat better than the tank finished next day)
-------------------------
42.86l for 1565.9km = 2.737l/100km = 85.93 US MPG

Teresa (in Ciliegia-kilometers too, the difference is roughly 1.4%):

12.62l for 458.3(464.7)km = 2.75(2.72)l/100km = 85.41(86.60) US MPG
13.29l for 482.7(489.8)km = 2.75(2.71)l/100km = 85.43(86.68) US MPG
12.65l for 449.4(455.7)km = 2.81(2.77)l/100km = 83.56(84.73) US MPG
4.60l for 155.6(157.8)km = 2.96(2.92)l/100km = 79.56 (80.68) US MPG (estimated - same as the tank finished next day)
-------------------------
43.16l for 1546(1568)km = 2.79(2.753) = 84.25(85.45) US MPG

(Tired of math)

#26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Alvaro, you have an admirable eye for photography -- I'm glad you share!! I'm also glad you made it through that trip in one piece. I'm very impressed by the mileage you and shiNIN put out in those circumstances, too!

New? Start here!
  #27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Our next trip was a 2-up one to visit the Japanese Picnic at Nagyvárad|Oradea (which is now in Romania). It was 2-up because of the long, boring, ugly Road 4 through the huge, flat plains of the Eastern half of Hungary. On the way back we found a nicer route, through the same huge, flat plains - but smaller, less busy roads.

On the way we stopped at Hajdúböszörmény to do some paperwork. There's a statue group (Táncoló Hajdúk ~ Dancing Hajdú Soldiers by Kiss István) right where we stopped:

Then we headed to Nagyvárad|Oradea through Debrecen. Getting through the border isn't complicated, though it's still much slower to show your identity card to the officers than just rolling through the deserted crossing point - I hope Romania joins the Schengen pact soon enough (before the Great Collapse, I mean )...

Nagyvárad itself is somewhat ruined, somewhat under construction, it shows the lingering signs of the Ceausescu era, and the not-so-lingering signs of globalization. It was hard to find special local treats (we always have to try the local food should we go anywhere), the goods in the shops are almost the same what we're used to.

Non-edible speciality:

An Orthodox church that (being quite big) has to be built for a hundred years (it's a religious regulation - at least our guide said so), so they build it very slowly

Buildings and parks in and around the castle (which was closed for the evening):

City scape from a hill called "Gomba" (Mushroom):

And a very tipical, half renovated building (yes, the city center is full of these palaces):

And this is where the event took place:

...well, we went down to a cellar here, all the 30 of us

The river Körös:

(On the file names: the name 'Kurisu' is a pun on the river's Romanian name, she's in the anime series Steins;Gate and definitely isn't (a) River.)

A TRAP, I mean a full grown manhole cover - it would be a large one, even in Hungary:

And the square around:

And some fun - cosplay photography:

And a lecture on chopstick usage for the newcomers (we're pro with chopsticks anyway ):

It was HER idea to invite people from Hungary

And she found lodging for us - we spent two nights in the flat of a very hospitable local family, free of charge.

The numbers: there was a HUGE wind on the way there which literally ruined both tanks: the average for them was some 3.25l/100km ~ 72.3 US mpg - even though the way back was much better...

Last edited by alvaro84 : 05-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.
  #28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Wow. Have you ever thought of selling some of your photos? Quite a few would look fantastic as a large format print.

New? Start here!
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

I've taken some more pictures on the Bakony lake hike last Saturday. We only took a short "lap" of it (it had 3 different "laps" with different routes, one could do them all if they wanted), it was enough in the hottest summer, in a mere break of the 14th Árok Party. I haven't taken any photos at the SIDRip Alliance concert, so all I link here will be about the Bakony forest and its little, hidden lakes

Some of the photos are shiNIN's.

The frog was really tiny, probably less than half of an inch. And the hike itself was ~15.1km / 9.4mi, with 464m / 1522ft climb.

And the bikes were... well, carrying us to the start and back to the party. I think it'll be typical for us in the near future, going to a nearby village or forest stop, then taking a hike. We moved to a beautiful part of this little country, so we really should take advantage of the place.

Edit. Oh, and a link to some SIDRip Alliance live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwleP4VOcy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFh-...eature=related

This is from their 2010 and 2011 concerts at the same place, because I haven't found anything from this year yet. They're a yearly sight there anyway as they mostly play retro game music

Last edited by alvaro84 : 07-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.
  #30   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Tatra Quick Visit

(part one)

So we had a short and 'low cost' trip to the High Tatras, to see the (probably) closest 'proper mountains'.

The plan was to travel through preferably small and twisty roads, and definitely NO motorways (they're no fun, even though they are free for motorcycles in Slovakia). Thanks to the range of our bikes we could just 'skip' Slovakia in the hope of the cheaper Polish gas. This was our first trip to a non-neighbouring country (to Hungary, I mean), though we really hadn't seen much of Poland, except for some nice mountain roads and tourist-infested towns and villages. We entirely crossed Slovakia, though.

First day's target was Tatranská Lomnica, below the Lomnic Peak (2634m/8643ft). As we couldn't book a room cheap enough 2 days before the trip, we brought a tent with us too. It was a nice little challenge to place it so it wouldn't deteriorate Teresa's aerodynamics even more (I'm bad shaped enough sitting in the saddle ). In the light of the tank averages it wasn't a huge fail.

The Hungarian leg of this route was familiar to us, even a bit of Slovakia (until we finished our breakfast in front of a store in Sahy), and there are nice roads in this first leg too (like the Slovak road 564). I took the first picture of the trip here:

Hungarian headline, with Chinese text. And this all in Slovakia. The next few were made after a short detour through a narrow and quite bad road (patches of gravel were scattered around) trhough Zajezová:

On the way back we took a few next to Víglaská Huta - Kalinka too:

We can thank this detour to the Slovak military - a road I wanted to ride through was closed with a barrier, and a guard house. In the guard house I could phone with someone who knew Hungarian (English didn't prove useful there). What the map shows: a village in there, with all the roads leading to it closed - was true. It looked so nonsense I didn't even believe it, but that someone in the phone confirmed it.

The next leg (after a bit of road 50) is a nice treat for the bikers. Though it's hard to stop anywhere to take pictures, the road 529 itself is great, it's full of nice curves and the pavement is good on most of this stretch. It runs mostly in the forest, but sometimes you can see the valleys below, and even a small lake.

Then the treat continued, after a town called Brezno (the photos were taken next to the town).

The next 'wave' were the Low Tatras: the nicely meandering Road 72 crossed the mountains at a 1232m/4042ft high pass, making miles of FAS possible after the climb (I still prefer gliding to engine braking until it's too hard on the brakes). The new dropout bearing passed the test. The scenery from the pass:

And the north side, on the way back (it was really beautiful):

Last edited by alvaro84 : 08-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.