User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Reviews

Reviews Product Reviews

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

CleanMPG First Drive Review of the 2012 Toyota Prius c

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
CleanMPG First Drive Review of the 2012 Toyota Prius c
Simply throw out the EPA on this one folks.
xcel
03-19-2012
By xcel on 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Re: CleanMPG Previews the 2012 Toyota Prius c

Hi Phil:

For a Preview drive I cannot because I do not have steady state speeds, an optimal route to achieve them on or the time to perform them. At a Preview press launch, if you get 3-hours behind the wheel while sharing with another journalist, you are lucky. In addition, the routes we are provided at a launch are scripted so you have little or no leeway for a good route.

Fortunately at some of the Toyota launches, they sometimes allow me a few hours late in the afternoon after all the other journalists have called it a day. Afterwards, I can knock out a quick measured fill drive as I did with the Prius hatch, v and the c. I learn more on these non-scripted measured drives than on the scripted routes but if the manufacturers allowed all of us to “do our own thing” first thing in the morning, half the journalists would not have vehicles to drive and the other half would be lost meandering their way around whatever city the launch is being held in. Me included

If you look at our reviews, I usually include a table of 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 mph steady state speeds with the conditions in which they were achieved.

When we get a Prius c in for a full week review hopefully sometime this summer, we can get those steady state numbers knocked out.

Remember the 50% loss in FE by driving to another’s whims cost you both time and $'s at the pump so make your time count.

I hope that helps and it is great to see you back at CleanMPG!

Wayne
By EdwinTheMagnificent on 05-04-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The dash, cheap looking interior and all the bare metal isn't helping
aca2983 , I just read that today. But I don't recall seeing any "bare metal".
Where is it ? What would you prefer it to be covered with ?
By xcel on 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Hi All:

At last week’s Midwest Automobile Media Associations (MAMA) Spring Rally, the Prius c allowed a decent amount when let loose. A non-calibrated SGe said 127 mpg but leaving with 4 bars and arriving with 3, we’ll give it a solid 110 + mpg.

2012 Toyota Prius c

Let loose on a RT loop in Elkhart Lake, WI.

We are going to see a lot more of this in the near future

Wayne
By atlaw4u on 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Can the c travel on electric power only and if so, how far approximately and is it speed limited?
By xcel on 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Hi Reid:

It is just like a Prius II with about 2/3 the pack and a few hundred pounds less weight so it has a lengthy EV distance. Maybe 1.5 miles vs. 2 if you are really easy on ht pedal from a full SoC. 45 mph glides seems to be as easy as letting them occur with the EV icon next to the SoC telling you if the ICE is down or not.

Each iteration of the Prius drivetrain just gets better and better. I was just over at my parents and my mom’s v is showing 51.8 mpg after 191 miles and she’s doing short trips with A/C on all the time.

Just amazing how efficient the c and the v really are.

Wayne
By philmcneal on 07-07-2012, 12:58 AM

questions from a current NHW20 owner (260,000km wee!) and Hi Wayne thanks for answering my questions from the other reviews/threads glad to see cleanmpg is still super strong!

- If you have to give a % on how much better the NHW20 handles compared to the C can you give an estimate? I'm a sucker for cornering while trying to maintain momentum even though it throws everything in my car from one side to another!

- Wind noise on the highway? I've driven cars where non hybrid cars were probably 15% quieter than my 2004 prius. Then again its strange even as areo as my car is wind noise is still an issue.

- So since I'm somewhat happy with the NWH20 performance (45-55 mpg average while maintaining the highest average speed/efficiency ratio) even though I would like JUST a little bit more passing power on the highway. SO with the same engine in the C but 300 lbs less am I going to be a happy customer?

- Does the prius C still have the annoying stage 1, 2, 3 4a,4b (so stupid!) when it reaches 70 degrees Centigrate it should glide at will and not me having to pass 56km/hr before the engine shuts off via glide. But thank goodness the EV button works for 55km/hr and below however, I notice new HSD systems limit it to 40 km/hr. But what happens if I want to coast from 50 km/hr and I haven't reached stage 4b yet? Is it still a problem with the 2010 priuses as well?

- Finally ECO mode all the way? Never have a reason to disengage it?

- i remember there was a good web site displaying all the MPG vs MPH range for all the hybrid cars in the government fleet but cant remember where... curious to see the data.

- EV Button only works when coolant is above 70 C right? Dissapointed since my NHW20 can do it when coolant reaches 40 C

Nicer looking car than my aging NHW20 at least ;( Thanks Wayne! Keep up the great work!
By xcel on 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM

Hi Phil:
Quote:
- If you have to give a % on how much better the NHW20 handles compared to the C can you give an estimate? I'm a sucker for cornering while trying to maintain momentum even though it throws everything in my car from one side to another!
Since the Prius-II is not a great handler, you will not have a problem with a c. Both have some body roll and I can almost bet they will hold within .02 - .04 G’s of one another at the limit.
Quote:
- Wind noise on the highway? I've driven cars where non hybrid cars were probably 15% quieter than my 2004 Prius. Then again it’s strange even as aero as my car is wind noise is still an issue.
It has been to long since I was in one to give you a definitive answer on that. Go to a local dealer and take one out.
Quote:
- So since I'm somewhat happy with the NWH20 performance (45-55 MPG average while maintaining the highest average speed/efficiency ratio) even though I would like JUST a little bit more passing power on the highway. SO with the same engine in the C but 300 lbs less am I going to be a happy customer?
The c is not as lively as the –II but it is more than adequate.
Quote:
- Does the Prius C still have the annoying stage 1, 2, 3 4a,4b (so stupid!) when it reaches 70 degrees C it should glide at will and not me having to pass 56km/hr before the engine shuts off via glide. But thank goodness the EV button works for 55km/hr and below however, I notice new HSD systems limit it to 40 km/hr. But what happens if I want to coast from 50 km/hr and I haven't reached stage 4b yet? Is it still a problem with the 2010 priuses as well?
Beginning with the third gen, the warm-up stages have been relaxed with what is and is not available. While I cannot discern the exact changes, the temp restrictions are there but a lot more can be done prior to the previous and strict stages.

EV works with SoC and little Acc use, Stage 4 can be induced without an idle check or 15 minutes on the highway and even then you may still have failed glide with the -II. I have not seen that in the c or v, ever! I have long ago forgotten the exact detail that you live with on a daily basis thank goodness. In any case, from the 10 Prius, CT, v and now c, the warm up restrictions have been eased thanks in part to the warm up HX’er and easier SW calibration from Toyota’s HSD magicians.
Quote:
- Finally ECO mode all the way? Never have a reason to disengage it?
I never disengage it but others do…

IHTHs

Wayne
By ColKurtz on 12-23-2012, 06:15 AM

Just bought a C II yesterday. Still learning but already up to 68mg over the first 170 miles of mixed highway / slowway driving. So far, so good.
By priusCpilot on 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColKurtz View Post
Just bought a C II yesterday. Still learning but already up to 68mg over the first 170 miles of mixed highway / slowway driving. So far, so good.
Congratulations. That's pretty good! I get about 60mpg on my tanks and do live in a bit of a hilly place. With temps going to 50s and below I have been using my seat heater and cabin heater so did 58 mpg on my last tank. I think when the temps get better I should maybe be getting 65mpg tanks since I have been improving?
Last edited by priusCpilot : 12-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
By CRT1 on 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Does the C have an EV button?
Comment