User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

National Cell Phone Talking and Texting Ban Requested

#31   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Vehicles: '07 Prius, '10 Focus, '03 BMW R1150RT
Re: National Cell Phone Talking and Texting Ban Requested

Drivers on Cell Phones as Bad as Drunk Drivers:

http://www.unews.utah.edu/old/p/062206-1.html

June 29, 2006 -- Three years after the preliminary results first were presented at a scientific meeting and drew wide attention, University of Utah psychologists have published a study showing that motorists who talk on handheld or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers.

"We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit” of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. “If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.”

By the way, I'm one of those safety-Nazi's who gladly contributes to MADD.

Harry
  #32   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Super MPG Man/god :D

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2000 Honda Insight 5MT

For the record, for the vast majority of the time (95%+) I don't use my phone when driving. In the rare cases I do, the traffic density in my area is so low that it is a negligible level of risk. I just think that blanket one-size-fits-all bans just don't seem like an acceptable solution.

#33   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Vehicles: 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
I'm afraid you don't. Just because something is not prohibited doesn't make it a right. Is that clearer??
Nope I have it "correct".

Ninth Amendmend - The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I have the right to do anything that isn't prohibited by law. You saying it isn't a right doesn't make it true.

From wiki - The connection between rights and struggle cannot be overstated — rights are not as much granted or endowed as they are fought for and claimed, and the essence of struggles past and ancient are encoded in the spirit of current concepts of rights and their modern formulations.
  #34   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Super MPG Man/god :D

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2000 Honda Insight 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

Ninth Amendmend - The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I have the right to do anything that isn't prohibited by law. You saying it isn't a right doesn't make it true.

From wiki - The connection between rights and struggle cannot be overstated — rights are not as much granted or endowed as they are fought for and claimed, and the essence of struggles past and ancient are encoded in the spirit of current concepts of rights and their modern formulations.
Well there you go citing that silly outdated Constitution thing.

#35   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Vehicles: 95 Odyssey, 95 Civic

Quote:

All I can suggest is do NOT use cell or texting while driving in NC ... because by law ... it is ILLEGAL.

How about letting your passenger make the call?
  #36   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Not complicated at all. It seems to bear a striking resemblance to backpedaling since before the police angle was brought up a total ban was being advocated now, it's an "acceptable" risk.
Oh, pish. You'd say that speeding is illegal even though it's allowed in a limited set of circumstances.

A cellphone ban would operate the same way.
  #37   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Quote:
True, bugs the heck out of me too. However, as related to the topic of the thread, how is that different from them talking on their police radios (carrying on a form of conversation of sorts) with dispatch or other officers not present with them in the car?
I will repeat what I've said in my earlier posts: talking on the phone engages the brain in a more engrossing way than other modes of conversation. When you're on a two-way radio the flow is much different; not only can both people NOT talk at the same time, but there are often substantial pauses between one person talking and the other person talking. That allows for critical driving tasks to happen, and if needed the pause between sentences can be extended a few seconds without the other person feeling like they're being ignored. Listen to the police or CB channels and you will hear this.

Quote:
For the record, for the vast majority of the time (95%+) I don't use my phone when driving. In the rare cases I do, the traffic density in my area is so low that it is a negligible level of risk. I just think that blanket one-size-fits-all bans just don't seem like an acceptable solution
I've known some people who were still decent drivers when they were a drink over the limit. Some people have better skills, reflexes and/or innate judgment than others. And if they're just driving the speed limit on a limited-access rural freeway, are they really endangering others that much? Possibly not. But that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have a one-size-fits-all ban on drunk driving.

I remember hearing these arguments a lot back in the early 80s when MADD was making its big push to stiffen drunk driving laws. SOME people were capable of driving reasonably safely while at the (then) 0.10% limit, so why not have the police only bust people for the bad things they actually DO while driving drunk? In the end I don't think we lost any essential freedoms. But we did lose some "freedom" in the sense that we couldn't drink however much we felt like and jump behind the wheel of a car to get home afterward. Drinking away from where you were spending the night lost (for some) its spontaneity, requiring premeditation of either a very limited number of drinks, a designated driver or an alternate way home.

And hopefully someday we all are going to need to figure out how not to text/telephone while driving. As with DUI, once the penalties are severe it will become socially acceptable to say "sorry, couldn't answer. I was in the car".

My fuel economy page

Last edited by WriConsult : 04-30-2012 at 12:03 AM.
  #38   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Quote:

Ahh, the Ninth. One of my favorite Amendments (though under attack by "strict constructionists" who want to limit us to the "enumerated" rights). In fact, it is the one Amendment whose inclusion Thomas Jefferson demanded or else he would not sign. He was dreadfully concerned that without the Ninth, the Bill of Rights could be construed as an "enumeration" of rights.

However. As you have pointed out, the Ninth Amendment does not mean you can do whatever you wish, wherever and whenever you wish, to whomever you wish. It still allows the state to prohibit things that are in the public interest to prohibit. Such as drunk driving. Such as driving while yakking. And driving on public roadways is fundamentally not itself a right ... it is a privilege granted by the state, which can be revoked if abused.

My fuel economy page

Last edited by WriConsult : 04-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.
  #39   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Vehicles: 95 Odyssey, 95 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads

A silly, but possibly relevent question ... is there anything specific in the Constitution granting or denying the right to shoot your neighbor?

How about simply shooting a firearm inside most city limits?
  #40   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

I think this covers the "shoot your neighbor" part.
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.