User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Bicycle Owners Community » General

General General Bicycling discussions here.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Ready to wear a helmet !

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto
Ready to wear a helmet !

Okay , guys. I'm a slow learner , but I eventually do learn. After suffering a crash in 2009 in which I briefly lost consciousness and then being hit by a car in 2010 , I think I'm ready to start wearing a helmet. But here's my situation. When I ride , I ride far and HARD. I tend to sweat a lot on my head. The helmet designs I see are mostly like cages , appearing to be well-ventilated. I'm not sure that will work for me. I have mostly been wearing a baseball hat when I ride. Partly to keep the sun off my face , but mostly to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I need something that has ventilation AND some sort of absorbent band. I quite often will read user reviews on amazon before buying a product,but the ones I've read on bike helmets don't seem to mention this.
Does anyone know which helmet offers these features ?
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Veteran

Re: Ready to wear a helmet !

My thoughts on helmets…

I just purchased my 3rd new motorcycle helmet (I’m on my 2nd bicycle helmet). I only wear full-face motorcycle helmets. I shop for helmets like I shop for shoes; I would never buy one without trying it on. Go to a few cycle shops and try them on.

I would recommend buying the best ventilated helmet you can that fits well and is comfortable. Although you won’t find much info on it, Sweat absorbents is something most helmet manufactures plan for. Helmet padding will fit across your forehead like a sweat band. I have sweated in my helmet and never had it run down into my eyes.

I also wear jacked, pants, gloves and good shoes when riding. Obviously the more you wear the greater chance for sweat (mostly an issue when coming to a stop). I am willing to give up some comfort for increased personal safety. The better (comfortable and ventlated) the equipment will cost more. Be prepared, the better the equipment the higher the price.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Fit Sport Auto 2010 Honda SH150I scooter

For a bicycle I favor mountain bike helmets. They have a brim that works well for blocking the sun.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Reformed speeder

Vehicles: 2006 Honda Insight MT, 2011 Prius Two

You can just wear a sweatband under your helmet. That's what I do when bicycling in Guatemala. You'll probably have to adjust the fit a bit.
I like Giro. They come in sizes, so I can get one big enough to fit my big fat head. Yes, try before you buy.
I think you can get clip-on visors for them.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

Thanks for all the good advice, gentlemen. I will go to my favorite bike shop (Koslow,in Lombard IL) and try some on.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

I wear one with a removable visor. I have tried several things such as different sweatbands, but I leak profusely. I keep a kitchen towel run through a slot in my handlebar tree to wipe the sweat.