User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » GM

GM Live Green, Go Yellow - Discussion about GM and GM automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Definition of a reliable, dependable vehicle - look no more!

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Vehicles: 13 Volt, 12 Express Cargo
Definition of a reliable, dependable vehicle - look no more!

Truck turns 5years old on 01 May 2012. Well thats the day I picked her up from the dealer new. I think I got my moneys worth out of the $42,000 sticker price.

Off the dealer lot with 360 hp at the engine. Modded it for some long haul highway cruising and dyno'ed at 462/930 at the wheels afterwards, and still able to hit 25+ mpgs

IMHO, This kind of reliability sets a bar that all manufacturers should try to reach. This has been THE BEST vehicle I have ever owned!

5 years, just over 376,000 miles, and more to come! With the exception of about 300 miles the Agent drove thru Iowa coming back from Utah one time, its been all me in the drivers seat.

Pic of odometer yesterday, turned 376 before I got back to the shop.

#2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Re: Definition of a reliable, dependable vehicle - look no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStepChild View Post
IMHO, This kind of reliability sets a bar that all manufacturers should try to reach. This has been THE BEST vehicle I have ever owned!
Congratulations!
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi James:

That is indeed remarkable considering the amount of heavy tow miles you have accumulated on your Silverado HD. A LD P/U from any manufacturer would not take the loads and a HD vehicle from the other manufacturers during that year (2007) would not have provided the longevity or reliability.

Good choice for a vehicle that provides your family with a paycheck on an almost daily basis.

Wayne
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

James , remember when I referred to (most) pickup owners as "rednecks" ? You were pretty good-natured about that. I now say that you have a good reason to have a truck, and that it's a very efficent truck , and you use it for what it is meant.
Now I need to focus my rage on a new target : soccer moms in SUV's !
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM

No tranny problems yet?
I dump my 03 once the tranny went bad last year
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Thanks all.

And another "news flash" Made the last payment on it Friday

She's all mine now

I have never kept a vehicle thru the entire loan before, or put this many miles on one.

Still dont know if I got the contract on the bid I put in so I dont know if I'm retiring the truck yet or not.

Going to have to spend a couple $$ on it if I still run it. Tires are up to 153,000 miles on this set now. There goes $1100 if I get new ones. And I could really use a new windshield, this one is pitted BAD from all the miles.

Oh, I most likely have plenty of redneck in me. It shows at times
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbalancer View Post
No tranny problems yet?
I dump my 03 once the tranny went bad last year
No trans problems at all.

I did hit a brick that took out the driveshaft and cracked the tail housing last year, but not really a mechanical failure or trans issue.

Added a Trans Go Jr shift kit back around 130,000 miles.

Regular fluid and filter changes (both the spin on and the internal filter).

If your 03 was the dmax, it had the 5 speed. The 6 speed they switched to in 06(I think) is supposed to be a bit better
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

The Allison transmission will probably outlive you, so you will want to include it in your will as a perpetual asset/possession.

The '03 transmission that failed on Airbalancer was - if it had a gas engine - probably a half ton with the 4L60E, which is an updated TH700R4 that hails back to the early 80s. Although they've beefed it up over the years, it's still a toy compared to the Allison truck transmissions.

I can't think of any reason why a well-maintained Duramax can't go half a million miles and more without major work, and the miles will be even sweeter now that you own it free-n-clear.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 08 Escape Hybrid 4x4 "The Toaster"

Congrats! My 1998 GMC Sierra K1500 has 181,000 miles, drives & rides extremely well, and runs so smooth & quiet that you can't even hear it running from 10 feet away. All this, and I can do 30% over the EPA ratings while I have the cruise set on 70 MPH, AND I have 1,000 pounds of cargo in the back. Only deviations from stock are I modded the air intake to pull warm air from the engine bay, a 165 amp alternator, and I have load range E tires on it.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 AM

I've seen pics of a couple 06-07's with 1,000,000 on 'em.

Makes me think I should sell the spare transmission I bought a couple years back. Got a good price on an 07 6 speed 2wd trans so I grabbed it. been sitting in the garage collecting dust.