User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2012 - 2013 Toyota Prius c and v

2012 - 2013 Toyota Prius c and v Everything and anything relating to the First Generation Toyota Prius c or v

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

What is that in the drive, a Prius v-5?

#91   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Re: What is that in the drive, a Prius v-5?

Hi Jough96Accord:

Bumps: The pitch and bounce control is supposed to reduce the rocking motion and I suspect it does because it does not have a rocking motion as most taller vehicles can when running a speed bump at 15 + mph.

I took the v-5 through the usual sharp edged curb corner at 23 + a number of times and it did not try to throw me out of the car or feel like suspension parts are going to come through the shock towers as many less sophisticated vehicles do through that corner. The v-5 was very well composed for a relatively simple McPherson strut front end and torsion beam in the rear.

Road feel is as good as the Prius hatch which is not saying much. The EPS is tuned better and with the 17’s, it is better than I would have expected from a tall and narrow crossover/wagon.

It is quieter at speed than the Prius hatch but has a different deeper engine tone when accelerating. When driving into a headwind, there is a slight wind noise rushing around the A-Pillar that you can hear but it is not bothersome.

Road noise is not an issue but when loaded this afternoon, expansion joints made themselves known in a hurry.

I did a back to back stereo v-3 Display Audio vs. v-5 with GreenEdge. The GreenEdge sounds much better with clear mid tones and distinct but not what I would call tight bass. The v-3 was muddy on the bottom with little clarity as the frequencies climbed. The v-3 sounds a lot like the upgraded JBL system in the Gen II Prius hatch. Not great but acceptable. The v-5 while good does not match that of the Fender system in the VW Passat or the system in the BMW 335d we drove a few years back.

Kia’s UVO system is better than Entune for voice command and non-specific menu understanding but Entune gets the job done. Entune’s back end processors are also very quick. Menu availability from initial boot up can be counted in just a few seconds.

Fuel Economy? It easier to best its EPA than the current Prius hatch but after a few hundred miles the last 5-days, the v-5 is not a Prius hatch match. I felt the v-3 was within 5% but the v-5 feels 10 + % off the pace. Getting 65 to 70 mpg locally in the v-5 is tough whereas in the Prius hatch, 80 is relatively easy to achieve in warmer temps and the mid 70’s in these blasted 30 to 50 degree temps the v-5 has been driven in the past few days.

My pick amongst the Prius family? The v due to the feeling of a lot more room even though it is not that much larger on the outside than the generation III Prius hatch and trim III to trim III is not that much more $’s. Trim pick amongst the v’s? The v-3. I like the v-5’s LED’s even though the factory set cut off is too low for good night vision. There has to be an adjustment for that? The 17’s are only eye candy and not that much candy at that. I would go with the v-2 and v-3’s 16’s over the 17’s any day.

The v-5 with the Advanced tech package includes the nicer GreenEdge audio system and guide lines within the backup camera display. I even likes the non-opening panoramic roof but the Pre-collision system, radar CC, and Safety Connect are too much pushing the package up to $5,580. I dislike the fact Safety Connect took the place of t the sunglass holder.

A small disappointment within the entire Prius family from the c to the v and everything in between is the mouse fir on an egg carton appliquι headliner. Competitive rivals in the B and C-segment are today providing full cloth headliners with texture that look and feel so much richer inside. The v’s IP (interior plastics) are just ok but are easily marred and are not all that rich looking. The Prius hatch is a step down since it does not have the soft front dash wide soft insert and the c is a step down even further.

Even with all of the ticks above, no competitor no matter the segment being considered can match the Prius family’s base fuel economy, possible fuel economy without pulling out all the stops and ease at which that big numbers are available. Adding, the tremendous resale of the Prius hatch and probably the v make either a no brainer when it comes to the TCO or overall value equation.

I have a Mazda CX-5 with a stick arriving in two weeks and it will be very interesting to compare that to the Prius v given both have approximately the same interior sizing specs. The CX-5’s SKYATIV 2.0L with the taller 6-speed MT will surely provide some decent highway fuel economy when pushed but around town, I can almost bet the CX-5 will not stand a chance against a v and its HSD.

Colin, I would love to will it to be 70 degrees with little wind tomorrow and redo the 70 mph run. The last I looked, it is going to rain and the press fleet handlers, STI, will be picking up the v on Friday morning sometime.

The past record is not > 61.0 and Trip B is now at 64.5 mpg. It is climbing ever so slowly. The tank or trip A just broke through 60 about two hours ago with one more day of driving to go before saying goodbye.

Wayne
  #92   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM

Hi All:

I forgot another thing. I absolutely love the single HVAC dial control for three function selections and multiple actions within each function. Absolutely my favorite part of the v and I will ahve to do a vid… Along with everything else

Wayne
  #93   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran

Pitch control must be a subtle thing.. I believe it is done by controlling the timing of the torque pulses in the motors.
  #94   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM

Hi Herm:

Pitch and bounce control is accomplished just like that. A reduction of torque at the front wheels to reduce pitch up and an increase in torque to the front wheel to reduce pitch down. This addition and withdrawal of a small amount of torque over a few ms is imperceptible from the driver’s perspective.

A few other additions. The driver’s wheel is not leather wrapped and it should be in the v-5 and I lost th efiwrst pip at 248 miles from an absolute top off after the aFCD offset and measured FE drive.

Wayne
  #95   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran

I think they have wheel leather covers at Pep Boys
  #96   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Vehicles: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

Here's the Prius V TOC spreadsheet I'm working on...suggestions/corrections are welcomed, please. The also rans (at least in my mind) are suggestions from the other potential drivers.
  #97   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_about_the_glide View Post
Here's the Prius V TOC spreadsheet I'm working on...suggestions/corrections are welcomed, please. The also rans (at least in my mind) are suggestions from the other potential drivers.
Does your calculation take opportunity cost into account (by adjusting the residuals downward, for example)?
  #98   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_about_the_glide View Post
Here's the Prius V TOC spreadsheet I'm working on...suggestions/corrections are welcomed, please.
Which Kia Soul are you looking at? The reason I ask is the base MT model gets the best mpg, is still reasonably equipped w/PW, PDL, AC, etc., and often goes on sale in the mid $13ks. Also, I think you can do better than 6% financing. I'm paying 3.5% on my Hyundai.

My fuel economy page
  #99   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Wayne, while you still have this car would you mind taking a couple more measurements of the cargo area? Maybe the widths of the cargo floor at its widest point and between the wheel wells; and the length with rear seats down, as well as the length with the seats up but slid all the way forward on their tracks? In addition to the measurements you've already given, those would all be really useful for comparison with other haulers.

My fuel economy page
  #100   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM
1996 Honda Accord 2.2l 5spd

Quote:
I would go with the v-2 and v-3’s 16’s over the 17’s any day.
Good to know, I'd much perfer the 16's myself.