User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2011 - 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

2011 - 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

So who got one and what do you think?

#31   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Vehicles: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD auto 4wd quad cab
Re: So who got one and what do you think?

eh, its okay. other than losing a pretty good gas mileage sedan Im much better off for it. I will miss the car more than her I think!

thank you though!

#32   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM

I have a 2012 and have 1,650 miles on it so far. The photos of the screen are much different then mine, which has a GPS system. That may be why I only have the display in the center of the instrument cluster.

The only issue I have is that my "instant MPG" gauge is way off of calibration. When it indicates that I'm getting 50 MPG, the "Average MPG" numbers drop down when I'm in cruise. The dealer had the car in for this problem and told me "This is as good as it gets".

I'm a little bummed out about this. Also when I fill up, I do a manual calculation of the actual MPG and it is always lower then the "Average MPG" numbers indicate.

Other then that, the car is great.
  #33   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

Howieb38,
Welcome to CleanMPG! You are correct that the average mpg on the dash overreports, but you may not know that your odometer underreports, so you're driving farther than you think. The actual miles is roughly 3% higher in most cases, although you can check your car against mile markers or GPS or Google Maps and get the exact error. When you add those undocumented miles back into the formula, the average MPG isn't as far off.

You're seeing instant MPG go from the middle of the arc to 50 and back because the car is switching the engine on and off as you drive. The average mpg lags a little, so you will sometimes see the average number going down even as the instant is pegged at 50, because the average is updating to include the previous "engine on" distance.

There are plenty of threads here on how to make this car "sing", and techniques can vary based on traffic and terrain. Consider updating your profile with your general city or area, and let us know the sort of traffic and terrain involved in your commute. The car has great potential, and the key to unlocking it is yours to use.

#34   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Thank you so much for the fast reply. It's good to know that with the site, information is so readily available.

Thanks again.
  #35   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM

I guess this question is for MAXX, when I'm in the stopped condition, like for a red light or anything, the "Instant MPG" lights show I'm getting 50 MPG

I would think that it should indicate 0 MPG since the car is stopped and not getting any milage in that condition.

Any ideas if this is normal?

Thanks again for any answers.
  #36   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Vehicles: 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 6AT, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 6MT

Are you sure it's the 'instant' (the arc above the 'average' number) that's showing 50 when stopped? It is possible that it freezes at the last number calculated before the car stopped and then it will change when the car starts moving again. The "numbers frozen" will happen in conventional gas-powered cars if the engine is switched off, so I wouldn't be concerned if that happened on a hybrid. Since "mpg" counts miles and gallons and not time, even having a phantom "50" displayed while stopped for a minute wouldn't affect the actual mpg equation.

The average mpg is what's far more important because the instant will be an approximation of the average between the times when the engine is on and when it's off.

As to how to make the number increase? Without knowing anything about your commute, I will have to stay with the general guidelines.

First and foremost - easy on the accelerator. If you are gentle, it will go through 1st and 2nd before the engine starts, and there are ways to keep it in EV longer than that.

Then learn to time lights and adjust speed so that you can shift to N and glide for long distances. In N, the engine is off and the car will lose speed gradually. Get to know how far & fast the car rolls and you will find you can approach intersections in an engine-off glide and get there just as the red is going green so that you don't need to stop. If you need to brake, make sure the car is in D because then the slowing will recharge the battery instead of wearing down the brake pads.

Depending on your city/state, there may be a gas station within a reasonable distance that sells actual gasoline instead of the cocktail of 10% festering corn swill that much of the nation is forced to use. The HSH (as well as its cousin the KOH) will deliver much better numbers when running on real gasoline.

#37   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Legend In His Mind

Vehicles: 2008 Honda Civic LX auto

Mmmmmm........... festering corn swill. It's not just for breakfast anymore.
  #38   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM

For your information, to all.

"Instant MPG" gauge.

I figured out why my instant MPG gauge reads 50 MPG when I'm stopped. It only does it when the EV is working. As soon as the motor runs when the battery is down, it indicates 0 MPG when stopped. Now it makes sense.
  #39   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Arrow Re: So who got one and what do you think?

Got our 2012 Sonata Hybrid in February 2012. To date, love the car (driving, comfort, styling),but do have 1 issue...MPG. Started out fine, avg 38 mpg (35 city ~40 Highway), but since I took it to the Hyundai dealer, it's been down hill. First was an issue with a BlueLink error msg (fixed with s/w update?). After that dealer visit, MPG went down to Avg 36 MPG...still OK, but why the decrease?...dealer had no answer. Next was 5K service...after that one (last week) MPG dropped to Avg 32 (34Hiway <30 city)..Contacted dealer and got the run around about why the drop, but did get him to agree to running a diagnostic test to see if there is an issue with the car. We'll see..but not impressed and an converned that the MPG will drop even further. Stay tuned for updates.
  #40   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM

I also have a "reasonably new" Sonata Hybrid. I have about 3800 miles on it. We just took our first long highway trip (1,250 miles) On some of the legs (between fill ups) the car got 38.2mpg, on the best leg it got an amazing 44.2mpg! I use an app on my iPhone called "Mileagekeeper". On it I enter the mileage, the gallons used and the total cost. The overall average since I bought the car is 37.4mpg, right on target. Let's see what happens after the 2nd dealer visit. Hope it only gets better.