User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2010 - 2013 Toyota Prius III Hatch

2010 - 2013 Toyota Prius III Hatch Everything and anything relating to the Third Generation Toyota Prius Hatch

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Some more questions about Prius 2010 and SG2

Tags:

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Some more questions about Prius 2010 and SG2

Hi all;
I've began using a SG2 with my Prius2010, and I have a few questions:

1. I seem to be able to pulse and glide at higher speeds, but this happens only 50% of the time. I can pulse to 65MPH and then when I glide, my SG shows 9999mpg. The problem is that sometimes the prius would just refuse to turn off the ICE at speeds higher than 41-42mph. I've learned that if I restart the car, it often helps. Any ideas how to achieve this consistently?
2. When I do regular P&G the SG always shows 0.02GPH use. The funny thing is that when I achieve the above highway P&G it shows 0.00gph. Anyone can explain what's going on here?

3. Is there a way for me to know what was the lifetime MPGs for the prius I own (If I didn't log all my driving?)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC
Re: Some more questions about Prius 2010 and SG2

Above 45 mph, the 2010 must spin the ICE in D even when it has cut fuel flow based on you coming off the throttle.

If you have completed the warmup cycle (not necessarily in Stage 4 even), you should always be able to induce fuel cut by coming off the throttle and easing back in just enough to remove regen from the HSI display. I don't use high speed P&G very much; there could be issues with some or all 2010's, though mine seems to cut fuel when I expect it.

There may be a little hysteresis between 42 vs. 45 on the pure glide threshold.

.02 gph is a common gen3 sgII error. Mine does that. No solution I know of.

If you have cleared trip a and b, I think you've cleared mpg history. I use a for tanks, b for trips and testing, and a spreadsheet for cumulative.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. Can yo clarify a few things?

"Above 45 mph, the 2010 must spin the ICE in D even when it has cut fuel flow based on you coming off the throttle."
What's the D stands for? Also, isn't the ICE a totally independent system in the Prius? How can it spin the ICE if the fuel is cut off?

"If you have completed the warmup cycle (not necessarily in Stage 4 even)"
Where can I get some more information about these warmup cycles?

"there could be issues with some or all 2010's, though mine seems to cut fuel when I expect it."
Do you think this is a software issue which I can ask the dealer to fix?

Thanks!
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleniko View Post

"Above 45 mph, the 2010 must spin the ICE in D even when it has cut fuel flow based on you coming off the throttle."
What's the D stands for? Also, isn't the ICE a totally independent system in the Prius? How can it spin the ICE if the fuel is cut off?
The output of the ICE is always tied to the output of both MGs in the power split device. And since MG2 is always tied to the wheels, the car's momentum spins the ICE when the software cuts fuel flow.

See
http://eahart.com/prius/psd/
to understand the PSD of your hybrid synergy drive better. The big MG is the outer ring, the ICE is the planetary carriers in the middle, and the small MG is the sun.

D stands for Drive on the shifter.

I think there is a reduction gear in our 2010's, but the principles of the illustration still hold. This is closer to actual for 2004-2009 models.

Quote:
"If you have completed the warmup cycle (not necessarily in Stage 4 even)"
Where can I get some more information about these warmup cycles?
See priuschat here.
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...up-stages.html

I reworked ken1784 of japan's post at post #10, so you can skip to that to save time.

Quote:
"there could be issues with some or all 2010's, though mine seems to cut fuel when I expect it."
Do you think this is a software issue which I can ask the dealer to fix?
I don't think the dealers have a clue, and I have not heard of any TSB or other fix to it.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408

Last edited by ksstathead : 03-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

A wealth of info. Thanks so much.