User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Diesel Automobile Owners Community » 2009 - 2013 VW Jetta TDI

2009 - 2013 VW Jetta TDI Discussion on everything and anything relating to the new Jetta TDI.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

2010 Golf TDI blog and observations

#71   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Re: 2010 Golf TDI blog and observations

Hi Mike:

I am seeing diesel about $0.15 to $0.25 less than 87 unleaded here in Illinois. Does Canada experience the same winter/summer price swap for diesel to gasoline in Winnipeg?

Also, what did your 20K service cost besides the free warranty repair on the water pump.

Mike Sirach, cruising at 75 mph and averaging 75 mph are two very different things. Did he say which?

Here is a 2012 Elantra GLS while flying and to get that average speed over 250 miles, there were a few miles on a closed track at 100 + mph and pushing 5 to 10 mph over for most of the rest.

Was at 74 mph avg over 250 miles until running into this…

Wayne

Last edited by xcel : 04-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.
  #72   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 VW Golf TDI

Hi Wayne, I think most of the country is pretty much like Winnipeg with diesel higher in winter but lower in summer. Remember that this winter was abnormally bad because a refinery exploded creating a diesel shortage. Usually diesel is around 5’/L higher in the winter and 5’/L cheaper in the summer.

The service was $170 total. $65 for the oil and filter, $45 for the fuel filter, and $60 for the labor and various inspections. I thought I was all set to change the oil myself the week before and ended up not having my tools here, so I just got them to do that too while it was in. First time I've had a dealer do my oil in a long time.

I've done a few road trips with cruise set at an indicated 80-85mph (high 70's actual) with mid to high 30's mpg. So Peter's numbers seem reasonable to me.

#73   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Error on my part. It was 38mpg at 75 mph.
  #74   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
David

Vehicles: Toyota Prius 2005

I need a plot summary of the DSG implementation into the Jetta. I lost my faithful 2001 TDI to a collision and am considering a 2009 6 speed DSG vice going all electric. 2009 was one of the early years for the Jetta DSG. I know about the mystery shift into neutral, but this is a dealer certified "pre-loved" car so presumably all company offered maintenance/upgrades have been implemented.

I also note that the EPA rating on this vehicle is 29 city/40 highway, which surprised me by being a tad lower than its colleagues. Any explanation for this?

So, is there anything I should look out for or consider before dropping 18 large on this?
  #75   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran

Hi OriEri, sorry to hear about your 2001. The EPA rating on the TDIs seems to underestimate its true efficiency and it seems to return several mpg better than similarly rated gasoline cars. The false neutral / mechatronics issues are the big ones I know of with the DSG, if it's used then the problem may have already been looked after by the previous owner. I'm not sure how they are long-term.

Saving money with a Jetta TDI DSG may be difficult to do. I would say buy it because you like the car first, not because you want something cheap to run. I'm not sure how fuel prices are in your area but if diesel is more expensive than gasoline that may eat into much of the mpg advantage this car has over other compacts. And the DSG requires rather pricey fluid changes every 40k miles that most cars or the manual TDI wouldn't need. Just keep that in mind, it may be worth asking the dealer what those services will cost you. And with all common rail TDIs, I recommend using a lubricity additive. It makes the fuel pump's life a little easier.

#76   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Veteran

Not much new to report. I got a letter the other day from VW that said something like "service campaign". I was worried I would have to take the car in for a recall or something. I opened it up and instead found some bright yellow stickers. I don't have to be quite as concerned now to make sure the car gets filled properly if I lend it out to a friend.

#77   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Mike:

To funny

Wayne
  #78   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran

DIESEl ONLY - THIS MEANS YOU STUPID!

They should also put some graphics to let you know not to drink it or get in your eyes. Gasoline and gazole look similar, it could confuse a Quebecqian.
  #79   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran

Got ready for another winter over the weekend by putting the winter tires on and blocking off the grille.

I did an upgrade over the summer which I haven't really shared yet. American Golfs can get HIDs but we can only get HIDs on the GTIs here. I decided to pick up some replica GTI projector headlights and put some HIDs in a few months ago. So far it's been a nice upgrade.

New headlight assembly

New HID vs old halogen

#80   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Oooh! Shiny! They look a bit like Darth Vader's fighter.

Thank you for not just plopping HID bulbs into the regular housing. I'm seeing more and more of those and HATE the blinding glare!