User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2010 - 2013 Honda Insight II

2010 - 2013 Honda Insight II Everything and anything relating to the second generation Honda Insight.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Nothing for ages then...

Tags:

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Vehicles: 2008 HCH-II, 2013 CRZ EX with Navi
Nothing for ages then...

I'd barely heard of the Insight (was vaguely aware of its history as a pre-Prius hybrid) and never seen one in real life. Of course today I see three on my way in - two in my parking garage!

I have to say, it's a glorious-looking car.

I have the HCH-II and from my time on the Honda website I have to ask - what are the main differences between the modern Civic hybrid and the Insight? It seems to me that the Insight basically gives up some passenger head/legroom and HP for several thousand bucks off the price, and of course it's a hatchback which on balance I think is an advantage. For a small commuter car the Insight would appear to come out on top, but I wondered what people here thought.

When I bought the Civic there weren't any Insights available to look at/buy on the lot. I have a weird feeling if I had two side by side at the time I might have made a different choice. My biggest concern is the lower HP (the HCH already chugs up some steep inclines) and, weirdly, the lower EPA mileage...?

Bennett
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius Touring (2006 HCHII still in the family)
Re: Nothing for ages then...

Very thorough comparison by Manuel Santos here:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...264#post213264
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC

The pre-prius Insight was a completely different car: a little 2 seater. The Insight II is a compact 5-seater.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Personally I think the Insight is really underrated. Although its space is small on paper, the cargo area is actually fairly long (33") and wide, so it can carry a lot more stuff than its size spec might indicate. For my purposes the longer cargo space is more usable than that of a Fit. And I disagree with many "professional" auto reviewers who thought it's noisy -- I drove one back-to-back vs. a Fit, and the Insight was WAYYY quieter. And if you can live with the base model (I can) it's thousands cheaper than an HCH, too. (Sorry, maybe not the answer you were looking for there. ).

My biggest complaint about the Insight is its limited autostop capability. Officially you get 45sec max, and in my experience it's often a lot shorter than that. Since most stoplights around here have an average cycle length of more than a minute, that means I'd spend more time idling than in autostop.

My fuel economy page
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM

Vehicles: 2008 HCH-II, 2013 CRZ EX with Navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk View Post
Very thorough comparison by Manuel Santos here:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...264#post213264
Brilliant! Thanks for the link.

Bennett
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2014 Prius 3 / MX 5 Miata /06 Prius.

Bennett
That comparison is on the newer Insight. The one Bennett is talking about is the 2006 and earlier Insight. Two seater and aluminum body . The best damn Hybrid ever produced but nobody realized it. Could not get past the two seat part of it. Even though they hardly used more than two. I always wanted one , but owned a Miata at the time! Right Lane Cruiser has one and averages over 100 mpg! H
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2014 Prius 3 / MX 5 Miata /06 Prius.

Sorry Bennett you are talking about the new Insight. H