User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

What if you cannot afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

#51   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Be Inspired

Vehicles: 1999 Dodge Avenger, 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 5sp
Re: What if you cannot afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
I disagree. The 95 Civic EX that I have is in the middle in terms of years but towards the lowest end for fuel efficiency. Combined MPG is 26 by the new EPA. Older and newer civics alike have a higher combined MPG. The VX is a different model and because my engine is a 1.6L VTEC it's not the most efficient compared to other models in the same year. All the other models of 95 with the exception of EX receives better MPG. I drove a 94 Civic LX as a loaner car that had better MPG. In short, one has to do research still even on Civics but they are reliable.

The statement was not saying civics are the best for fuel economy regardless. There are civics that are more performance oriented, hence losing fuel economy. 26 on the new epa is decent for that time period as my 1999 avenger is worth 21 combined on the new epa 27hwy on old epa.

Wrt my epa ratings, the 95 civic is comparably better as far as economy goes, maybe a few more detailed specs would provide me the info I need to make a better comparison, but time is not really in my favor at this time.

Best Segment: 25.3mi@76.9mpg
  #52   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Newb

Vehicles: '99 Subaru Outback MT 2.5L

Any chance one of you MPG guru's would be able to do an updated version on this same article? I'm hoping to buy a fuel sipper in the next 12 months or so and would find an updated list very helpful. I can go through and look at autotrader.com for some cars, but it seems like some vehicles can be hypermiled way better than others, so you can't really just look at epa estimates.

Best segment (round trip): 12.6mi (90% city) - 40 MPG
Best Tank: 413 Miles (60% City) - 34.43 MPG
  #53   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Talking Re: What if you cannot afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile?

Have any of you looked at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ lately?

It has undergone MAJOR CHANGES since October 2011.

Pay special attention to ....

POWER SEARCH http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/powerSearch.jsp
This allows one step search 1984 to present on multiple parameters like ... year range, MSRP (Edmunds 2011 to present), Make, Market Class, Fuel type, Drive, Transmission, Cylinders, and MPG (city, combined, and/or Highway ≥).

Also ... Shared MPG Estimates http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

I have found these to be VERY POWERFUL resources when considering any NEW ... or ... USED vehicle purchase.

These are very powerful research tools!

My special thanks to those that use My Garage http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do or Tracking Your MPG Just Got Easier
Now you can enter "Your MPG" data at the pump from your mobile device at www.fueleconomy.gov/m!

Particularly when you allow your fuel consumption rate data to be shared with OUR ... NATIONAL KNOWLEDGE BASE of "experienced mpg" ... even if you folks ARE hypermiling.
  #54   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Vehicles: 2011 Ford Fiesta ses 5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
Have any of you looked at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ lately?

It has undergone MAJOR CHANGES since October 2011.

Pay special attention to ....

POWER SEARCH http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/powerSearch.jsp
This allows one step search 1984 to present on multiple parameters like ... year range, MSRP (Edmunds 2011 to present), Make, Market Class, Fuel type, Drive, Transmission, Cylinders, and MPG (city, combined, and/or Highway ≥).

Also ... Shared MPG Estimates http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

I have found these to be VERY POWERFUL resources when considering any NEW ... or ... USED vehicle purchase.

These are very powerful research tools!

My special thanks to those that use My Garage http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do or Tracking Your MPG Just Got Easier
Now you can enter "Your MPG" data at the pump from your mobile device at www.fueleconomy.gov/m!

Particularly when you allow your fuel consumption rate data to be shared with OUR ... NATIONAL KNOWLEDGE BASE of "experienced mpg" ... even if you folks ARE hypermiling.
I made it to the top of the 2011 Fiesta list on Fueleconomy.gov, but I'm several tanks behind in logging there. I don't like that you can't view individual logs and log comments.

Kirk

#55   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
I hadn't noticed the main site's changes. I tend to use www.fueleconomy.gov/m (the mobile site) if I'm just getting information about one car because it's simple to use and doesn't use JavaScript. It's particularly annoying that the www.fueleconomy.gov site uses external JavaScript APIs.
  #56   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
David

Vehicles: Toyota Prius 2005

My Jetta was in an accident last night and I think it iwll be totaled by my insurance company. I will miss it, but this also creates a quandary. I was planning on getting a CODA 150mi range car when they come out in the fall. So, is there a way to do a short term lease, like less than one year?
  #57   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

I'm sorry to hear that.

I've heard of people selling leases to other people when they want to get out of it early. Possibly you could find one with a year left or you could sell your lease after a year.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #58   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 AM
David

Vehicles: Toyota Prius 2005

I am in a rental Leaf at the moment. Thought I would give a shorter range EV a try as I psych myself up to buy a CODA.
  #59   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

How do you like it?

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #60   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Economy is complex. I once had a Honda Civic 1.5L hatchback that averaged 38mpg. My family grew so my next car was a Mercury Sable wagon with a 3L V-6 which only got 22mpg. I had each car 5 years. Both cars overall cost me the same to own and operate. Guess which car was nicer?